Parts Cost vs. Sale report

Manager SE Reports & printing
mopar-mechanic

Parts Cost vs. Sale report

Post by mopar-mechanic »

I have been using the Part Sales by Vendor report for some time and would really like to see what the last cost vs. last sale amounts with percentage of profit instead of averaging cost and sales, with the constant price increases and variables lately the report has become inaccurate since it is averaging the costs over time. Is there a better report somewhere I am missing?
Garage owner/operator entrepreneur
Shopkey Pro Se with Bolt-on addition
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Parts Cost vs. Sale report

Post by timbre4 »

mopar-mechanic wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:11 am
I have been using the Part Sales by Vendor report for some time and would really like to see what the last cost vs. last sale amounts with percentage of profit instead of averaging cost and sales, with the constant price increases and variables lately the report has become inaccurate since it is averaging the costs over time. Is there a better report somewhere I am missing?
On the Price Markup Matrix tab, is your SE system set to Average Cost or Last Cost?
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
mopar-mechanic

Post by mopar-mechanic »

It is set to last cost, so my system will update pricing accordingly. Iits just in the reports that shows the averages and not actual costs which throws off my numbers for the week, at first I couldn't figure out why the percentages were so different until I realized it was averages being calculated.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

mopar-mechanic wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:44 am
It is set to last cost, so my system will update pricing accordingly. Iits just in the reports that shows the averages and not actual costs which throws off my numbers for the week, at first I couldn't figure out why the percentages were so different until I realized it was averages being calculated.
I am told that this report pulls whichever cost figures per your system COST method setting selected on the Markup Matrix tab.
We've recorded a request to change the label (column header) to simply Cost so that it reflects the user system setting without confusion.
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I do not use this report, however it appears that the cost field will average depending if the price cost had changed during the date range you set. I would expect this behavior, otherwise there would multiple entries for a single part number.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

ricmorin wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:50 am
I do not use this report, however it appears that the cost field will average depending if the price cost had changed during the date range you set. I would expect this behavior, otherwise there would multiple entries for a single part number.
Of course! I should have factored that over time the item cost could change and that averaging it would be the only way to keep the report concise. Thanks Ric.
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

mopar-mechanic wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:11 am
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? We might find a better way....

Take a look at Inventory Part Sales report. This breaks down every instance of a sale and lists the varying costs.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
mopar-mechanic

Post by mopar-mechanic »

I am simply trying to look on a weekly basis what the end part sales are profit wise for cost vs. sales and keep ahead of inflating prices as some of our parts are not on the matrix and have set prices. I just had realized that the cost over the week on a few items was incorrect (so i dig further) and an actual average over whatever time period which does not reflect what my actual expenditure on parts was for the week.

Example-mis-entered cost for a pack of 10 gaskets... cost was $10 for 10 gaskets, modify to sell individual gaskets @ $2 each with a cost of $1 each, report still comes up with a $9 average cost per $2 sale in the report showing negative profit %. Now this is a drastic example but you can see when we have a 30% increase on some items this does not get reflected correctly in the report.

Return to “Reports + Printing”