TIP: Who Recommended + Service Writer

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
ewray

TIP: Who Recommended + Service Writer

Post by ewray »

Anybody know how you can tell by pulling up a old work order who recommended the work (so you know what tech to give it to) and who wrote it (so you can give credit to the right service writer)?

The only way I see now is pulling the paper work.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Who recommend & who wrote it

Post by steven kiser »

i'm not sure if it's standard or something that was set up for me but when i start a work order, under the order window there is a writer option, when i open the labor tab it opens a tech window. from the main screen, if you click on set up, then default settings, you can add service writers and tech's as well. once this is set up you should be able to fill in what you need. this will also automatically load the tech hours into the program that will tell you total hours for a determined time frame.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Re: Who recommend & who wrote it

Post by ricmorin »

ewray wrote:Anybody know how you can tell by pulling up a old work order who recommended the work (so you know what tech to give it to) and who wrote it (so you can give credit to the right service writer). The only way I see now is pulling the paper work.
You can pull up a History Record using F4. Open the invoice and at the top should be the SW (assuming you entered this info initially). Additionally, if there was a line item for the check out, a Tech should be assigned and it will be visible in that window as well (again assuming you entered that info initially).
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Who Recommended + Service Writer

Post by timbre4 »

It is not entirely clear to me what question(s) you're trying to answer.

Recommendations are stored to the vehicle record; the findings from test drive or rack are entered there by the service writer. These remain on file (with Vehicle record) until you delete them as having carried out or dismissed.

If you need to know who made the recommendation, F4 History or Utilities - Customer screen then History tab will show you the service writer name on past invoices, presumably this is the same person. If you have the specific need to identify who came up with the Recommendation(s), it may be necessary to code these with initials or something.

If you can provide additional information as to the why and when we can provide further assistance.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

At the last place I worked, anytime I did a revision, on the last line I put a note with my name, and the date it was estimated. Our service writer there was terrible, (they did finally get rid of him), he wouldn't even clear them out if the work was done, so it looked like there was always revisions, he just copied and pasted. You could do the same, on the last line in a note put the SW and the Techs name for future reference. I'm sure there are many other options. Have a good day!!!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Additionally, when Revisions are sold onto an order (Sell Revisions button and filling in details) the program writes a Revision History entry (within Order Options) that includes reason, time/date & service writer name.
Tim McDonnell -
Gerald Martin
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Gerald Martin »

A technique I have begun to use: When entering the Recommendation in the vehicle tab:

Transmission Fluid Flush - SM
Air/Fuel Induction System Cleaning - SM

Use the tech initials and there's no argument later over who the work goes to.

Gerald
ewray

Post by ewray »

Tim

We like to reward our techs by giving them the work if they find it and the customer comes back for the recommended. If you look back at history and "assume" tech A found the work just because he did 1 job out of 5 things found. Then what may have happen was maybe the tech that found the work went home sick that day or maybe you have a guy that is assigned to do that job.

My A tech may find 10 things wrong with a car be the customer my only have enough money to do the OLF that my lube bay does. How do I know who found the work with out pulling the paperwork?

If the service writer that is advising the car sells 2 out of the 7 jobs found and could not explain the process in the other 5 jobs and it had to go to the service manager and he sold 1 more, are we going to remember that 6 months down the road? or the tech gets deeper into the process and finds something else that is needed to get the job done and the asst. service writer calls the customer to approved the job?

All I'm saying is so many thing happen and you can't tell who recommended a repair that a customer is coming back to fix unless you pull the paper work.

Thanks for all your hard work in this forum
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

That's good background, appreciated.

Out long term solution is referred to as By-The-Job; it will take us some time to deliver this as it changes a number of values from calculating from total order dollars to per job on the order approach. Until then, let's review current options.

Coding Recommendations (tech initials, etc) is good until the work is done and the Recommendation is deleted. Maybe it was there long enough to answer the question of who gets credit.

Coding Revisions with a note is possible, although you'll delete that note line once it's on the order. Maybe the Reason field for Sell Revision as it is stored in Revision history.

There is also the Source field that allows users to track some detail about the invoice. You may customize a table of employees or other means of ID and then view a report on these indications.
Tim McDonnell -
ewray

Post by ewray »

Thanks Tim, and I look forward to the change if and when possible.

Have a great day
hsmaxey

Post by hsmaxey »

One of the solutions I use is to write an estimate on a REVISION tab and enter the technician at that time. That allows me to review the profit margin based on that tech and also preassigns the work if the customer returns at a later date.

Since I make it a habit to print out the estimate for recommended work and hand it to the customer it only takes a couple of seconds to pre-assign the tech, normally the one who discovered the problem or else the tech who has the skill to perform the repair.

If that tech is not available when the customer returns it is a simple matter to reassign the job.

Max
crmeyers
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by crmeyers »

nickscarcare wrote:At the last place I worked, anytime I did a revision, on the last line I put a note with my name, and the date it was estimated. Our service writer there was terrible, (they did finally get rid of him), he wouldn't even clear them out if the work was done, so it looked like there was always revisions, he just copied and pasted. You could do the same, on the last line in a note put the SW and the Techs name for future reference. I'm sure there are many other options. Have a good day!!!
That's the way we did it also - note line at the end of the revision :idea:
Chris Meyers
Service Center Manager
Ocean Air Auto Repair
www.oceanairauto.com
c.a.r.

Post by c.a.r. »

I know that this is an old post but what I have just started doing to clear the air of who sold what and if there is an issue is this; when you put the tech in the work order underneath I put the service writer who sold the labor. I have found that to be the best way for many reasons. If someone tries to play the blame game you can see who sold what.
Darryl
Cecilton Auto Repair
Cecilton, MD 21913

Return to “Database + Settings”