Sub-Estimates Calculations

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
alloutrepair
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Sub-Estimates Calculations

Post by alloutrepair »

Is there a way to change the view on sub-estimates so that the shop supplies is not automatically added in?

Problem: I have a existing order (which includes the minimum amount for shop supplies as per my settings). I also have 3 sub-estimates for additional work found...
When I look at the totals on the bottom of the screen, I see PARTS 27.98 LABOR 35.00 TAX 11.38 TOTAL 74.36. In reviewing these amounts, each sub-estimate also includes the minimum amount (per my settings) for shop supplies (7.50). on an order screen, I can go to options and turn on or off the shop supplies for the order, but not in sub-estimates, and therefore, I am over quoting by the amount of 7.50 * the number of sub-estimates.

No, customers never complain about a lower price when they pick up there car, but they do question when it is always changing. And I also use sub-estimates when creating estimates for 3rd party payers, and everything gets mixed up when my invoice does not match the original estimate.

Suggestions?
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: Sub-Estimates Calculations

Post by Gary R »

My first comment would be that an "estimate" by definition is an educated guess. I would rather have the estimate be a little high and the invoice somewhat lower than the other way around. If shop supplies did not appear in the sub-estimates, then you would transfer them to the order and the fee is added, you would end up with a higher dollar amount. As a suggestion, you could transfer all the authorized estimates to the order screen while still talking with the customer and confirm the total price of all authorized work before hanging up the phone.
HTH Gary
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Due to the current architecture, where Sub-Estimates are not yet exposed to the Order screen calculation rules, the fees and taxes are approximate. There is a Tax in Estimates checkbox that controls tax, shop supplies and HazMat being in Estimates or now, however most users seem to agree with what Gary is saying above. Better to come out a little less in the final analysis than to surprise the customer with higher figures.

Depending on the customer and situation, if it has to be exact, copy & paste the Sub-Estimate contents to the Order screen long enough to print it. Perhaps they approve it on the spot and you leave it where it is (less Revision History perhaps). Or they come back to you and declare they are doing most but not all of the work at this time. Cut and paste the portion not approved back into Sub-Estimate slot(s) for future application.

One aspect of the future By-The-Job re-architecting is that the taxes, fees, etc. will belong to each job container (rather than Order screen rules) whether it is on the Order or Revision side and then this won't even be an issue.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

Thanks Tim,

Your last sentence is all I needed to hear. We will wait patiently... :)

Jen
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

Has anyone not updated to 6.5.47 yet that can check something out relating to this?

THANKS!
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

Return to “Database + Settings”