Setting Up Jobs With Different Labor Rate?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
alloutrepair
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Setting Up Jobs With Different Labor Rate?

Post by alloutrepair »

We have performance/off-road jobs that we complete at a different labor rate. I have created a labor rate called 'performance' and set it at the correct dollar amount. Which I found that I can choose on any labor line of an order by choosing the correct 'customer type'. However, I am no looking to setup canned jobs, in which I would like to use a labor item at this alternate labor rate. The trouble is that when setting up the job, there is no option to choose the customer type to have the alternate labor rate saved.

It would be fine if this was a real canned job, I would just set it up as a non-standard labor rate. But let's pretend it is carburetor rebuilds, then the number of hours will change. I am looking to be able to adjust the number of hours without having to manually calculate the amount.

Thanks!
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Setting Up Jobs With Different Labor Rate?

Post by timbre4 »

I'm sure some of the regulars can comment on what they do in this regard.

The reason that Customer Type cannot be selected at the job level today is that Customer Type is read from the Order screen, once the job is transferred to it. This is why it cannot be defined before it is sold.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Those labor rates are available once the canned job is transferred, so the only manual calculation you have to do is when setting up the job. If the hours change, we open the job on the RO, select the correct labor rate and type in the hours. The math is done for us. We rarely do this as the very essence of canned jobs precludes this.

By observation, it would appear that the different labor rates were initially intended to be customer and vehicle centric rather than 'level of difficulty' centric. Most users apply the latter, myself included, which makes things a little tricky.

I would agree that it would be nice if Mitchell would relax the constraints on how we apply labor since it is our most important asset. I have many labor rates. Some are customer/vehicle centric and some are difficulty centric.

One way it might work is like this: Allow the application of any labor rate in a canned job. When transferring a canned job to an order, if the customer or vehicle rate is anything other than the default rate, provide a pop-up window allowing the user to choose to keep the rate as described in the canned job or change it to the customer/vehicle selection. If it is the default rate, allow the canned job to transfer as built. Then we can have both. (greedy, aren't I) :oops:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I'm a broken record on By-The-Job restructuring but it would certainly provide that measure of control on labor rates per job.

In the meantime, the program does pop up a dialog box when in certain instances where the customer/vehicle is defined as other than retail in Customer Type; something like Transfer using customer type? Y/N
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

It just seems simple to me to setup a default labor rate at the customer level, but then to have the option to over-ride that with a labor rate defined by the job.
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

It seems that I too am jumping on the bandwagon regarding allowing different defined labor rates onto canned jobs. I am restructuring some of my oil change jobs and finding that if I have an oil change rate, I can control and update all my oil changes that reside on REV9. I can't do that within canned jobs. It'll be interesting on what twist the By the Job approach will bring.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ARS
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by ARS »

We are also looking in to having different labor rates per canned job. We just went to a class were we learned that we should be charging more per hour for a engine performance or Diagnostic (ie $100 per hour ), Engine or Transmission replacement ($90), Regular labor ($80) & oil changes ($70)...

We see in Prodemand or Estimates that each labor item is rated A, B, C, & D... We were thinking about putting that system to use for the different labor rates. It would be really nice to have canned jobs that we could set up with the different labor rates. & i agree with Ric on
ricmorin wrote:Those labor rates are available once the canned job is transferred, so the only manual calculation you have to do is when setting up the job. If the hours change, we open the job on the RO, select the correct labor rate and type in the hours. The math is done for us. We rarely do this as the very essence of canned jobs precludes this.

By observation, it would appear that the different labor rates were initially intended to be customer and vehicle centric rather than 'level of difficulty' centric. Most users apply the latter, myself included, which makes things a little tricky.

I would agree that it would be nice if Mitchell would relax the constraints on how we apply labor since it is our most important asset. I have many labor rates. Some are customer/vehicle centric and some are difficulty centric.

One way it might work is like this: Allow the application of any labor rate in a canned job. When transferring a canned job to an order, if the customer or vehicle rate is anything other than the default rate, provide a pop-up window allowing the user to choose to keep the rate as described in the canned job or change it to the customer/vehicle selection. If it is the default rate, allow the canned job to transfer as built. Then we can have both. (greedy, aren't I) :oops:
We are jumping on the band wagon too....

Thanks, ARS

Return to “Database + Settings”