Search in History

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Search in History

Post by nickscarcare »

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this. I am wondering how the search feature works in history after you pull up a customers name. I typed in ball joint, no results found, typed in suspension, which is the category it is listed under, no results found. Do we have to know the part number to look for it. I have to manually go through all of the listings to find it now. Seems to me the search should work for this!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Search in History

Post by timbre4 »

If you didn't get any results, the description is different than the History - Search keyword or this customer did not have this particular labor or part on any of their invoices (or it was a different vehicle?)

There are several search methods depending on what you know and what you're looking for:
1. History tab - you know the selected customer / vehicle and want to find something in the past by part or labor description (History Search does not read part #)
2. F4 Find History - you know the type of work and enter keywords (and/or some of YMM) to get a list of vehicle invoices that include that text
3. Part Number Search report - you enter the full or partial part # and/or description to get a list of names, dates, invoice #s where the part was sold
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I can find them manually looking through. But if I search suspension, which is the category, nothing found. It would be nice if it could be found by category. I did recheck and yes if I know the exact wording of the part, it will find it. That could be a problem if you want to look up say ignition coil, and it is described as #3 cylinder ignition coil. Maybe this could be an enhancement.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

My example is here, the customer called in and wanted to know if they had ball joints installed here, so we pull up the customer, find the vehicle, go to the history tab, there are many entries, so we go to search and type in ball joint, none found, so type in suspension(category heading), none found, so after going through all the suspension listings, find the invoice, and we list it as upper ball joint. If I know the exact wording for the description, this works great, but my service writer does not remember every vehicle nor do I on how the part is described.

507-345-6425
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Not as straight forward as category never appears on invoices.

When in doubt use '%' as a wild card; %balljoint
Tim McDonnell -
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Hey, I knew about the % symbol for VIN lookup, but did not think of it for the search here, thanks a bunch!

507-345-6425
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by Sauvageaus »

timbre4 wrote:Not as straight forward as category never appears on invoices.

When in doubt use '%' as a wild card; %balljoint
what does this % do for Vin or Part lookup?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

It informs a Search function to provide results no matter what the leading position characters are; the keywords the user enter are included in the text string, just not in the beginning:

invoice description = upper ball joint
search keywords: ball joint
NO MATCH

search keywords: %ball joint
MATCH!

For VIN it means that you could get away with a partial VIN entry:

VIN entry: 123456
NOT FOUND

VIN entry: %123456
FOUND!
Tim McDonnell -
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

It is a wildcard, so for example in finding a customer, you hit F3 go to the vin part and you dont need the whole vin we usually put in last 8 so %td224678 for example and it will find that vehicle if a customer brought it in before.

507-345-6425
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

timbre4 wrote:It informs a Search function to provide results no matter what the leading position characters are; the keywords the user enter are included in the text string, just not in the beginning:

search keywords: ball joint
NO MATCH

search keywords: %ball joint
MATCH!

For VIN it means that you could get away with a partial VIN entry:

VIN entry: 123456
NOT FOUND

VIN entry: %123456
FOUND!
Awesome, That will come in handy