BarCode Reader

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
robinf

BarCode Reader

Post by robinf »

Our shop is looking for a inventory program that will allow us to scan a barcode, put it in inventory, then take it out and put on customer ticket. What is everyone using?
ARS
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: BarCode Reader

Post by ARS »

That would be interesting--- We do everything by hand now---
But the thought is a great one...
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Manager SE supports bar code scanning as it is a different interface method to record user selections. Here is an instructive comment from 2013:

"Welcome to the Forum. I've posted many times on barcode scanners. You can use the Search function in the upper RH corner here and find them all.

What I found is best is what they call a 'plug and play' scanner. These require no software at all. They essential act as a keyboard, so your cursor needs to be where you want it before pulling the trigger.

What I also found is that the barcode on most automotive parts rarely resembles the part number we use. I've been entering the barcode number into the Alt part number area of my inventory records so they 'connect'.

This not an integrated solution by any means. Just a way to quickly transfer information. Frankly I've not found any real daily advantage to it's use at the current level. We really need something designed for Manager specifically."
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

That post sounds familiar, hmmmm........

I am now using a Bluetooth wireless scanner. I can scan vin's into Manager, as well as scan parts into the order. I've been updating my parts labels to include a barcode. It's far from seamless and certainly not an integrated solution, but it works.

I use it now mostly for VIN entry. We get a lot of new vehicles from used car lots and they all need to be entered. None of the have plates for decoding, so VIN is the way to go. Parts entry is clunky enough at this stage that I don't use it much.

Ideally, especially on larger jobs, you'd want some sort of device that can collect multiple parts for input later. They make stylus and fob style scanners for this now. Someone would need to integrate that into Manager. Based on how long we've been talking about this, I'm guessing it's not high on the M1 priority list.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Database + Settings”