Cashing Customer Out Without A VIN#?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
seansharon

Cashing Customer Out Without A VIN#?

Post by seansharon »

Is there a way to have mitchell not allow an employee to cash out a customer without a vin#? Counter sales would not need a vin, however a larger job like a transmission job would need the vin, so is there a way to bypass this part of database?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: cashing a customer out without a vin#

Post by steven kiser »

I'm not sure but I don't think so. I require all vins if not on tech sheet to be written on them and then loaded into customer information. I'm in the beginning phase of implementing a Mitchell program already in my management system that is Tablet based. All my lead techs will have a tablet assigned to them and will only communicate with the main shop computer or my tablet or lap top. This way I can see and require anything I want or need. I'm going through a bit of an issue myself with missing information or shop inventory not accounted for on order. The financial bleeding needs to stop and the only way I know how is through a fresh start with new controls and starting to use ones already available but not used. I've discovered through years of careful study that making someone do things the way I see fit is to make it cost them financially. From time to time I will do something to cure an issue. Using tardiness as an example since this is my biggest pet peeve and at this point in time I just can't start firing people so I use different ways. Sending a tech home and loosing a days pay costs me as well. I get further behind and the vehicle that they are working on isn't usually something easily finished. So I will tape a Grant on the wall and give each employee that show up on time a card out of a deck. Friday at lunch the person with the best Poker Hand wins the pot. You must have 5 cards to play and I will accept no reasons for being tardy. Make up something along those lines or if after a shop meeting and detailed policy of what you expect and anything but isn't an option break a 2x4 over the next persons head that doesn't follow the game plan. :shock:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Cashing Customer Out Without A VIN#?

Post by timbre4 »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to make VIN # field mandatory for posting an Invoice but not a Counter Sale? There currently isn't a rule or validation in place to confirm that. We have to factor the way the program is used historically and also think about those instances where an invoice needs to get paid and posted while the VIN # is not easily available.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Cashing Customer Out Without A VIN#?

Post by Rich »

I like this idea. But, we service a few larger farm tractors (AC work). Not sure how it would work with them as we never have a VIN. I guess we could make one up eh?

On top of that it also changes the way the WIP looks. I have my way, and he has his. (even though I can not for the life of me figure out how he can use it the way he has it set up.)
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.

Return to “Database + Settings”