Actual Time?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Actual Time?

Post by motley06 »

So, since bolt on has created a time clock addition for their mobile manager, I've really started watching technician efficiency/productivity. However, I've noticed that actual time will default to match pay hours and charged hours, which effectively leaves the tech with 100% productivity/efficiency. Is there a way we can change the default to set actual time to 0, unless clocked in on. Reason being, if we have a car come in for oil change and tire rotation, the tech clocks in on both those lines. If we add on wiper blades, engine filter, and cabin filter, unless he actually clocks in on those new lines, it gets entered as 100% of the pay and charged. I thought maybe there was an option in settings, but I couldn't it.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Actual Time?

Post by ricmorin »

You are correct, there is no setting to change this. It's hard coded into the programming.

Looking at this from a broader perspective, by changing this to zero hours, I can see additional user issues. No matter what you code the program to do, it still requires the user to enter each labor and ensure that the entry is accurate.

I haven't tried the time clock feature yet, but from your description I'd change my operating procedure to include that techs don't do additional work unless those labor items are on the order and available for them to use.

I'm sure it'll be a learning curve as we acclimate ourselves to these new features.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
motley06

Post by motley06 »

Yes, in the mean time, we are doing our best to have the guys clock in and out real quick on the lines if they forget to when the lines are added.

In our situation, we are not looking at efficiency line by line, but instead, for the entire ticket. Theoretically, the tech could clock 2 hours on the oil change line and 0 on the other 5 lines of maintenance and I would be OK with that, as long as the overall inefficiency for the entire ticket is accurate. As it stands right now, the system arbitrarily assumes that the tech was 100% efficient and fills in their time. I'd rather it show that if he didn't clock in on the line, let it show 0. That's more accurate and it would be easier to spot if they aren't clocking in and out on lines like some shops probably want their techs doing.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I believe I understand what you're going through, however effectively changing the ALWAYS '100% Actual Hours to NEVER would create a burden for shops to consider and approve *every* single labor line whereas they are automatically handled today. As for a tally of total order hours and evaluation of such for efficiency, that calculation (and option to store it somewhere) simply doesn't exist in the SE program.

I suspect the cure for this will have to be from an external source.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
motley06

Post by motley06 »

I could see that. Perhaps, if there isn't too much involved in the programming side, could it ever be made an option?

Just to make sure I'm being clear, I am looking more at the technicians efficiency on the overall ticket, not so much line by line. Thus, I would be fine if all of his time ended up on one line, and 0 hour's on the remaining lines. This would give me a true picture at the efficiency on the whole/ticket job, instead of having the technician clock in/out on each individual line.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

It would not be light lifting programmatically to bring such an option into existence and this is the sole request received thus far. (not to mention what gets sacrificed to pursue it)

This is a new feature by our technology partner and we're simply going to have to see how this plays out.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
motley06

Post by motley06 »

Totally understand, less than a week old. In the meantime, i'll do my best to make sure the guys clock in on each line for at least a minute or two to get accurate reporting

Return to “Database + Settings”