BARCODE SCANNING

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

BARCODE SCANNING

Post by GUTHTIRE »

I found a thread from 2016 which is now locked. The thread seemed to focus solely on parts, in our case it would be ideal for Tire inventory...still parts related but specific, in our case, to tires. Thoughts?

In the past, inventory was all manual, pen & paper. Just looking to speed things up given it is 2018! :D
Dan
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: BARCODE SCANNING

Post by ricmorin »

As mentioned in the previous threads, you can scan barcodes now. I do it every day. How exactly do you want barcodes to help you? What exactly do you want to do?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Looking for inventory purposes. Click on the barcode, prompt for # of pieces, and it updates the inventory.
Dan
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You can essentially do that today through the program, just know there is no specific module that takes you through the steps.

With a Bluetooth scanner and a laptop, you could conceivably do this: Open the Inventory module and place your cursor in the part no field. Pull the trigger and the correct record will display. Check the on-hand value and compare to physical. Modify when needed and repeat.

I understand that code could be written to streamline that process; perhaps someday.

Most of my inventory utilizes a barcode from the package. Often it is not the actual part no, so I use Alt Part for the scan. Works real well and I don't have to print a specific barcode label.

Speaking of labels, if you have a Dymo printer for your Bolt-On products, it can double as a really good parts label printer that incorporates barcodes. Sadly a one-at-a-time affair today, but maybe someone will create a report that will further automate that process.
603-622-6434 x203

GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

ricmorin wrote:You can essentially do that today through the program, just know there is no specific module that takes you through the steps.

With a Bluetooth scanner and a laptop, you could conceivably do this: Open the Inventory module and place your cursor in the part no field. Pull the trigger and the correct record will display. Check the on-hand value and compare to physical. Modify when needed and repeat.

I understand that code could be written to streamline that process; perhaps someday.

Most of my inventory utilizes a barcode from the package. Often it is not the actual part no, so I use Alt Part for the scan. Works real well and I don't have to print a specific barcode label.

Speaking of labels, if you have a Dymo printer for your Bolt-On products, it can double as a really good parts label printer that incorporates barcodes. Sadly a one-at-a-time affair today, but maybe someone will create a report that will further automate that process.
Wow, no much savings there. I envisioned walking thru the shop with a hand-held scanner, click a barcode then answer a prompt for quantity. The hand-held stores it all. Once done, sync with the database and any anomalies appear, you choose to override the database or not. Done.
Dan
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Those features are common in stand-alone inventory systems. While I share your desires, I'm guessing the average M1 user won't benefit from that level of programming. I'd give it a +1 for what it's worth. I've been a long time proponent of introducing some advanced inventory aspects.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:I found a thread from 2016 which is now locked. ! :D
As is common on most forums, older threads get locked to encourage creating fresh ones. This also discourages newbies from glomming non-related content onto an existing thread because they don't know how to start a new topic.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

timbre4 wrote:
GUTHTIRE wrote:I found a thread from 2016 which is now locked. ! :D
As is common on most forums, older threads get locked to encourage creating fresh ones. This also discourages newbies from glomming non-related content onto an existing thread because they don't know how to start a new topic.
Thanks for the insight on locking threads.

Any update on the task @ hand?
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:Thanks for the insight on locking threads.
Barcode reading? Nothing's changed. It's not like the grocery business where one can scan a box of Cheerios and a master database with all of the UPC codes responds by filling in all of the fields. There is no such equivalent in the parts business, other than closed loop situations inside OE dealers or parts catalog providers for their own items only. That works for them inside their own world. It would not be realistic to try to develop and support an entity capable of performing an industrywide data search function (protocols? standards?), so here we are.

We endeavor to balance development efforts to address as many of the pressing demands and technology changes thrown our way. Not so long ago we sold Manager SE in two versions; with and without Inventory / Purchase Orders. 65%-70% of our customers didn't have inventory until we they got it when we went to a single version (easier to develop, train and support) in 2014. We changed our support materials to reflect the need that we perceived about customers needing to be made aware of how this newly available (to them) functionality. The evaluation forms from our workshops in that period contained many comments like "why did you spend so much time on inventory & P.O.s?" or "We don't use that." After a couple events like that, we scaled back those topics, moving materials to the end of the book as bonus material beyond live presentation.

This is not to say that we're ignoring enhancement requests, quite the contrary. Just wanted to be realistic about this specific barcode capabilities question.
Tim McDonnell -
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

timbre4 wrote:
Barcode reading? Nothing's changed. It's not like the grocery business where one can scan a box of Cheerios and a master database with all of the UPC codes responds by filling in all of the fields. There is no such equivalent in the parts business, other than closed loop situations inside OE dealers or parts catalog providers for their own items only. That works for them inside their own world. It would not be realistic to try to develop and support an entity capable of performing an industrywide data search function (protocols? standards?), so here we are.
Does the same hold true for tires, I would think there would be a database available. Consider TCI which distributes primarily Michelin, BFGoodrich, UniRoyal, & Hankook across 40-some centers across the US..I would think it would be a nightmare for them to inventory product without automation.

Maybe there aren't enough shops using ShopKey w/Tire Inventories to deal with...
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Tires are a different animal; there are frequent updates for a tire-centric operation that justify the development cost. TCI, ATD, etc. are acting as the clearing house rather than forcing users to get them from each tire brand. Our technology partner Bolt-On offers such an application to handle those updates. We may have a few members here who could speak to that better than I can.
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

GUTHTIRE wrote:
timbre4 wrote:
Does the same hold true for tires, I would think there would be a database available. Consider TCI which distributes primarily Michelin, BFGoodrich, UniRoyal, & Hankook across 40-some centers across the US..I would think it would be a nightmare for them to inventory product without automation.

Maybe there aren't enough shops using ShopKey w/Tire Inventories to deal with...
I've been to quite a few workshops and Tim is right. Many shops don't even use inventory, let alone have tires on hand. :shock:
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Database + Settings”