Auto Backups Disabling Autovitals?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
auto check
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Auto Backups Disabling Autovitals?

Post by auto check »

Mitchell has automatic back ups that will stop Autovitals from working. Autovitals will continue to be inoperable until a technician manually reboots the program. This usually results in no work orders and a huge communication disruption in the shop for an hour or so. I have manually disabled automatic updates to prevent this but they always seam to come back at some random time. This is a huge inconvenience. How do I stop auto backups permanently?!
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: Auto Backups Disabling Autovitals?

Post by Johnny5 »

auto check wrote:Mitchell has automatic back ups that will stop Autovitals from working. Autovitals will continue to be inoperable until a technician manually reboots the program. This usually results in no work orders and a huge communication disruption in the shop for an hour or so. I have manually disabled automatic updates to prevent this but they always seam to come back at some random time. This is a huge inconvenience. How do I stop auto backups permanently?!
The proper solution is to ask AutoVital to modify/fix their application. Turning off automatic backups could be disastrous. I simply can't understand how a product can be commercially ready if it fails when the program it works with performs backups and updates. Big flaw in their program in my humble option.

JD
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
auto check
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by auto check »

We are doing manual updates right now to avoid future problems but yes, it is a huge flaw in the Autovitals program and very frustrating.
If I could get auto updates any time after 5pm and before 5am that would cure the problem as well. Is that a possibility? This way the system wont crash and I don't have to manually update.
Three hours after an update Autovitals seams to sort itself out.
autovitals

Post by autovitals »

Johnny5 wrote:
auto check wrote:Mitchell has automatic back ups that will stop Autovitals from working. Autovitals will continue to be inoperable until a technician manually reboots the program. This usually results in no work orders and a huge communication disruption in the shop for an hour or so. I have manually disabled automatic updates to prevent this but they always seam to come back at some random time. This is a huge inconvenience. How do I stop auto backups permanently?!
The proper solution is to ask AutoVital to modify/fix their application. Turning off automatic backups could be disastrous. I simply can't understand how a product can be commercially ready if it fails when the program it works with performs backups and updates. Big flaw in their program in my humble option.

JD
Sorry for disagreeing. Nobody is asking to turn off backups.
AutoVitals has an increasing number of Mitchell1 customers, where this works well and all of them have backups in place, which run during after hours, which seems to be best practice in any professional IT infrastructure, where no real-time backup through hardware is done.
Backups during running operation always impact performance, whether AutoVitals is running or any other program. Since Mitchell1 support is telling our customers, the back up can't be timed, we recommend to use a off the shelves backup solution, which also backs up all other software, not just Mitchell1. I understand that in this forum AutoVitals needs to be made look bad. How about we just have some technical solution discussion?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Welcome to the Forum.

I use other third party software that works perfectly fine with all of Managers backup solutions. That begs the question why doesn't yours? More and more businesses are going with active style backups that happen continuously. Can your software adapt to that technology? For me, even losing a days worth of data is unacceptable.

After reading the other comments here, I don't see where anyone asked to turn off a backup. The OP decided to do so on their own from what I see.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
BenjaminPeterson
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by BenjaminPeterson »

autovitals wrote:
Johnny5 wrote:

JD
Sorry for disagreeing. Nobody is asking to turn off backups.
AutoVitals has an increasing number of Mitchell1 customers, where this works well and all of them have backups in place, which run during after hours, which seems to be best practice in any professional IT infrastructure, where no real-time backup through hardware is done.
Backups during running operation always impact performance, whether AutoVitals is running or any other program. Since Mitchell1 support is telling our customers, the back up can't be timed, we recommend to use a off the shelves backup solution, which also backs up all other software, not just Mitchell1. I understand that in this forum AutoVitals needs to be made look bad. How about we just have some technical solution discussion?
With the issues that people are having with the other software with branding issues I would think you would bend over backwards to fix any issues people have so maybe they would recommend you for replacement. As Ric said most company's want instant backups.
autovitals

Post by autovitals »

ricmorin wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

I use other third party software that works perfectly fine with all of Managers backup solutions. That begs the question why doesn't yours? More and more businesses are going with active style backups that happen continuously. Can your software adapt to that technology? For me, even losing a days worth of data is unacceptable.

After reading the other comments here, I don't see where anyone asked to turn off a backup. The OP decided to do so on their own from what I see.
I am lost, why would you lose a day worth of data? As a side effect, we do a constant differential backup during the day. No need to do it twice. Manager's backup is always a full back up, and when done during the day, forces the differential back up to start from scratch with a full backup based on the database technology used. that causes an unnecessary delay. what is an active style backup?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

If I backup at the end of the day today, as prompted from the Manager software, I'm fully backed up to that point. If my system crashes at the end of tomorrow, that backup will not include tomorrows data. That is commonly known as a day. :)

Active backups are done as data is added to a database in real time. When (not if) my system crashes, I call Mitchell1 and my data is restored, right to the minute. NOTHING lost.

Given a choice of nothing lost and a day lost, I'll choose nothing. Ironically, I am looking for a DVI program right now. I have AutoVitals on my tablet and met with the reps at Vision a few years back. This issue would definitely be a deal breaker for my shop. :cry:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ACOWH

Post by ACOWH »

Our shop is also with AutoVitals and we have also experienced this delay and it was @ the worst time of the day.... (any time during business hours is the worst time of the day) that being said finding a solution and resolving the issue from both sides of the fence would be best for both Mitchell 1 and AutoVitals... more importantly customers shops and users of both software's. Not sure if we still get this issue during business hours... or if we are currently one of the lucky ones that does not get it during business hours. It use to be about 4:00pm everyday for us.
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

I did send a PM to the AutoVitals member with my phone number inviting him/her to call, but no call.

JD
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1

Return to “Database + Settings”