Special Order

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
jhenry

Special Order

Post by jhenry »

Hello all,
I've noticed over the years that when you click on the display tab at the bottom of the work in progress screen, it opens up types of tickets to display.
My question is this....what is the special order tab for??? I am assuming it would be for special order parts. If that is the case, how do you get it to show any transactions??
If I could understand how it works, I am thinking I might be able to create an end-around to track open labor claims for parts warranty tickets.
Thanks
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Special Order

Post by Rich »

Ric, will be back with a few pages of info for sure very soon....

You opened the door on this one, he is the SO master!
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Did someone say 'Special Order' ?

You may very well use special orders for neat and interesting ways. Here's how they are designed to be used.....

Let's say you have an existing order with several labor operations on it. It is discovered that one or more of those operations cannot be completed because the parts are back-ordered. You finish the rest of the work. You will highlight the labor and parts to be deferred and then go to View>Special Order. You'll get a window confirming your actions and as if by magic those parts and labor are moved from your Repair Order to a newly created Special Order. You can differentiate these from Repair Orders as work that is not here but parts have been ordered.

In fact, we create a Special Order from scratch EVERY time we need to order parts in advance of the cars arrival. To start one from scratch, from the WIP screen click on View> Special Order. You'll get a blank SO where you'll need to add the customer and vehicle manually. Add the labor and parts and you'll have full PO functionality (unlike ordering parts from Estimates).

If you follow the conventional workflow, Estimates are for future work, Repair Orders are for work that is here and Invoices are for finished work. The WIP can get muddy when SOME of the RO's are work here and now and SOME are for future work where parts are needed. Special Orders clears that up for us. Now we know EXACTLY what's going on simply by the TYPE of order on the WIP.

As you discovered, you can filter out order types, including SO's. Very convenient. In fact, a participant at the recent Arizona workshop wants to use them for long-term projects where he's waiting on a title for the vehicle. He can now set those orders out of view to more easily concentrate on the current work on hand. Cool idea!

<steps down from Special Order soapbox>
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
jhenry

Post by jhenry »

Good morning Ric,
Thank you for your speedy reply. All of the scenarios that you presented will work perfectly for the ideas I have with regards to open labor claims against parts warranties. But at the risk of sounding completely stupid, or at the very least blind, I can not find the "view" button you are referring to to create a special order. I have an open repair order, I have highlighted the labor and parts lines I want to carry over to a special order, .....but then I'm stuck....
FYI....we are running Manager SE
Thanks
John
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

No worries. It's hidden in plain sight. :D
so.png
so.png (24.17 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
603-622-6434 x203

jhenry

Post by jhenry »

Scratch that last thread....dummy me was looking for a button!!!
I have transferred all my open labor claims and de-cluttered my WIP screen....very cool!!!
Thanks so much!!!
John
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Is there a way to grey out just Special Orders OR have them fall to the bottom of the WIP...similar to Estimates? I see a setting in Grid Lines to change the color but that alters Repair Orders & Special Orders. :(
Dan
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

GUTHTIRE wrote:Is there a way to grey out just Special Orders OR have them fall to the bottom of the WIP...similar to Estimates? I see a setting in Grid Lines to change the color but that alters Repair Orders & Special Orders. :(
Yes. If you sort by Order Type, you can make all the Special Orders go to the bottom of the screen. Additionally, you can filter out SO's entirely with Display settings.

:D :D :D
603-622-6434 x203

GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

We already sort on RO so the latest RO created is at the bottom and Estimates "automatically" fall below that. Is there a way to Sort-on-this-then-that like Excel? Currently SO's are scattered throughout the list of RO's. Just thought it would be helpful to grey them out or have them drop below RO's.
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:We already sort on RO so the latest RO created is at the bottom and Estimates "automatically" fall below that. Is there a way to Sort-on-this-then-that like Excel? Currently SO's are scattered throughout the list of RO's. Just thought it would be helpful to grey them out or have them drop below RO's.
Yes there is, when you select a valid combination of columns. Example: Written By then Doc Type or Labor Tech or Status

Sort the first, then hold down the Ctrl key and click the second column name. :wink:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Database + Settings”