Start New R.O. From History?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
BRADSAUTOAUBURN

Start New R.O. From History?

Post by BRADSAUTOAUBURN »

The majority of our work is done for a car lot. We have thousands of their cars in Mitchells. Sometimes once the order is closed, we end up doing more work to the vehicle. I always have to find the vehicle and copy the VIN to start a new order. It would be very helpful if they had a “New” button on the history of a vehicle, so you can start a new work order from the history area. Or am I missing something? Is there an easier way? I obviously can’t just type in the company name, because there are 1,000’s of vehicles under them. Any helpful suggestions??
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Start New R.O. From History?

Post by Silky7 »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure some others may chime in with their suggestions, but I'd like to ask: How are you locating the vehicle in History to get the VIN? Some of the same search parameters could indeed be used on the Customer screen.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Welcome to the Forum.

You can locate the vehicle by doing a partial VIN search, say the last 6 digits as we do. Start a new order by customer, then right click in the VIN column header to get the search box. Type in your partial VIN and the program will find the vehicle for you. I find it also helps, if the lot uses unit #'s, to record those during the initial work. You can often locate the vehicle that way.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ambertsi
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by ambertsi »

ricmorin wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

You can locate the vehicle by doing a partial VIN search, say the last 6 digits as we do. Start a new order by customer, then right click in the VIN column header to get the search box. Type in your partial VIN and the program will find the vehicle for you. I find it also helps, if the lot uses unit #'s, to record those during the initial work. You can often locate the vehicle that way.

I second that method, it's what we use and it's been the most helpful in situations like that.

But to play off of this question about starting a new order from history - does anyone know if it's in the works to start a comeback from the history? I know how to manually do it but, it would be nice to just be able to right click on the history or open an invoice from the history and have the option to create a comeback from the original invoice itself rather than manually do it.
Amber McKinley
Manager
Diesel Maintenance, Repair & Performance
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

ambertsi wrote:
ricmorin wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

I second that method, it's what we use and it's been the most helpful in situations like that.

But to play off of this question about starting a new order from history - does anyone know if it's in the works to start a comeback from the history? I know how to manually do it but, it would be nice to just be able to right click on the history or open an invoice from the history and have the option to create a comeback from the original invoice itself rather than manually do it.
That's an interesting idea. The manual method is a bit clunky and requires a symptom. Additionally, we may not know it's a comeback until after the order is made. Seems like some workflow improvement could be gained here.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

The Comeback process could certainly be streamlined; I do like the idea of an option at the History screen. Then it gets a little complicated as to which work within the invoice is the basis for a Comeback repair order, plus there's always more lurking in the bushes to accomplish the program change.

As with everything we do, we must factor the amount of development work required versus the value of addressing a less frequent event (as compared to regular workflow) in the shop or should that development time be better spent working on something that is a more popular request. Every Monday we get a report of tech support calls content. (items that make the phone ring) For example: Change Ownership was a *frequent* call so we overhauled that a couple years ago since it was such a popular request.

I will add an entry to enhancement requests so we do not lose sight of it. :wink:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Database + Settings”