Using ShopKey Away From Shop?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
MURRI513
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Using ShopKey Away From Shop?

Post by MURRI513 »

Since the pandemic hit, many sensitive businesses were able to work remotely, has Shopkey enabled remote working.? The manager is getting tired of coming in on the weekends to catch up on paperwork he could do from home. Such as closing invoices and checking PO'S. Most of our customers have charge accounts. Also, does the Quickbooks integration work remotely?
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Using ShopKey Away From Shop?

Post by liljoe »

We use a program called splashtop. We can log into the shop computer remotley with it and do any thing we need to do. I do a lot of my paperwork at night after i get home and settled for the evening.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
MURRI513

Post by MURRI513 »

liljoe wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:19 am
We use a program called splashtop. We can log into the shop computer remotley with it and do any thing we need to do. I do a lot of my paperwork at night after i get home and settled for the evening.
is there an extra cost? That is exactly what manager is trying to do.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

MURRI513 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:21 am
Since the pandemic hit, many sensitive businesses were able to work remotely, has Shopkey enabled remote working? The manager is getting tired of coming in on the weekends to catch up on paperwork he could do from home. Such as closing invoices and checking PO'S. Most of our customers have charge accounts.

Also, does the Quickbooks integration work remotely?
ShopKey SE shop management is a desktop program running on a local area network (LAN). Having said that, there's at least a dozen 3rd party solutions that let you access the shop PC from home. LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, TeamViewer and others like Splashtop mentioned here. You're basically driving the PC remotely. This would include whichever QB interface (legacy M1 or AccountingLink) you're using.

I use the free version of TeamViewer to control multiple computers; as long as I don't connect to a PC at the corporate office I'm fine. They see that as commercial usage and that's using the business pay version.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
MURRI513

Post by MURRI513 »

Thank you for help, another reason why I love this forum.
MURRI513

Post by MURRI513 »

Does the host computer have to stay on at all times? Would I have to change the settings so my terminal(host) doesn't go to sleep?
The manager is actually buying the company, so he is now asking all these questions.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

You would install a remote client on the workstation PC that you expect to make changes from. Should be able to set the connection to allow for an unattended connection (nobody needs to be there, exchanging passwords, etc.) The workstation PC must be turned on; ShopKey SE running or you start it. (it's just like sitting in front of the PC)

The Host PC needs to remain available to record changes in the database.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

My SA got sick during COVID and had to work from home for 2 weeks. We used Teamviewer and I set up an IP phone extension. Worked like a charm except it took up a lot of bandwidth. I upgraded to 100meg fiber and it's a lot better.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Database + Settings”