Database Validation

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Database Validation

Post by GUTHTIRE »

I had thought that I entered this in the past but cannot seem to find it via Search.

Can the "Database Validation" be changed to a scheduled event rather than on startup/shutdown? It's pretty painful when you have customers in front of you and someone mistakenly closes Shop Management which prohibits anyone from doing anything in ShopKey. It would be helpful for us to schedule an action on the database.
Dan
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Database Validation

Post by megoff »

In the next version of SE (after 8.4.0.104) will have an option in the "Database Validations" for you to select a specific computer to trigger the event. This way you'll have a little more control than any of the Workstations being able to start the validations.
M1 Product Manager
ShopManTim
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by ShopManTim »

I have wondered the same thing already.

Thanks for the update. Will look forward to this improvement and the continuing flexibility of the system.
Enjoying Life as Our Maker Designed - Wrenching to pay the bills
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

megoff wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:47 pm
In the next version of SE (after 8.4.0.104) will have an option in the "Database Validations" for you to select a specific computer to trigger the event. This way you'll have a little more control than any of the Workstations being able to start the validations.
That will be a step in the right direction however I've never heard of a client PC triggering a database job on the server. Is there a reason why this cannot be a scheduled job on the server rather than having it tied to client PC?
Dan
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

The purpose of the Database Validations is to make sure everything is sound or caught early enough where we can recover the database before it becomes "unrepairable". The sprit of the Validation process is to validate the database and create a local backup.

With the current implementation of the validation any computer on the network can trigger the validation, which will be changed in an upcoming version. We want to give you the option to select which machine will make sure that your data is sound. We have quite a few shops that will have their host/main machine tucked away so they can limit who has access to the machine. Once we've released the version which will allow you to select which machine does the validation you'll be able to select the host and control when the validations are done.

Having a process that is done in the background traditionally means there is no prompt or warning if there's an error. Also when it comes to "scheduled tasks", these can fail due to a number of reasons and traditionally do not display anything to the end user. If there is a failure and no notification to the user that would be like a DTC with no Check Engine light for a major failure.
M1 Product Manager
ShopManTim

Post by ShopManTim »

Ya know, I often wondered what database validation consisted of. Now I know. Many thanks for that explanation.
Enjoying Life as Our Maker Designed - Wrenching to pay the bills

Return to “Database + Settings”