Superceding Parts By Vendor

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Superceding Parts By Vendor

Post by ricmorin »

Sometimes electronic vendors supercede parts. When they do, there should be programming to handle this within the Manager inventory module. Here's what happened.

I did a restock PO from an electronic vendor for a battery that was committed. When I ordered the part, I hadn't noticed that during my price check the part number had changed. There was no warning dialog, simply the part number changed slightly. I did not notice. When the part arrived, it was checked in and received and the PO was closed by another person who handles that. The PO and the part matched so there was no reason for concern. In the Manager inventory, the original part number did not increase, as would be expected, however, the new part number was not added. It appeared no where. There were no warning dialogs when receiving this part either. It simply vanished.

I discovered this when the part I thought I had ordered yesterday re-appeared again today. I'm guessing there is no programming contingency for such an event.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Superceding Parts By Vendor

Post by timbre4 »

That's a fair question.

The scope of Supersede in the Manager SE software covers changes within it's own records; it cannot know what's happening out in catalog-land. Something in the catalog integration itself would have to know that an incoming part number no longer matches the inventory record that was ordered. That would be where the work is times however many different catalog interfaces there are.

The create part record where none exists checkbox would have added this as a new part record if checked; then a Manager SE Supersede could be initiated.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Agreed. When this substitution happens at the catalog level, it gets tough to deal with x all the different protocols. My expectation is within Manager, where a received part needs to go somewhere. :D

I'll be more vigilant in the future.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I lean towards the yes on make a part record setting; if it's already a record no big woof. If it's not already a record, making it one captures it and exposes it to all those inventory reports. But you know all that. :mrgreen:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
alloutrepair
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by alloutrepair »

I'm sneaking in on a conversation that is definitely above my experience, but somewhere in the mix, I believe there might be something for me to learn here...

I have a vendor that was recently bought out... they are my biggest supplier and they are also the vendor that supply all of my stocking parts... In the mix, they are changing from Hastings oil filters to WIX (Amongst many other changes to look forward to in the near future). I am hoping this 'supersede' you are speaking of might help me link my two inventories together.

PS - I'm hoping so, since they came in today and took all of my Hastings filters and stocked WIX filters in their place.

Thanks!
~Jennifer~
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***

Return to “Parts + Ordering”