Parts Kit Window Issues

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
alloutrepair
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Parts Kit Window Issues

Post by alloutrepair »

http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.p ... 003#p78475

Was just looking through some items for tips to make my life a little easier & there are 2 separate posts that I've seen out there, but I have not seen any answers...

1. The pop-up window for selecting parts in a canned job is still not fully displaying the last item in the window.
2. The items listed in the same window do not display in order by part number, someone else identified that it may be displaying in order by description. I believe it makes more sense to sort these by part number, but maybe we could at least get an option in the window to choose the sort order?

THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Parts Kit Window Issues

Post by timbre4 »

The display order used to be the order in which the part records were added to the part kit and I believe this is still true.

We have replaced many grids in the SE program, haven't gotten to these stories as yet.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

timbre4 wrote:The display order used to be the order in which the part records were added to the part kit and I believe this is still true.
Tim,

Just a quick bit of feedback, but this doesn't appear to be true, at least in my system on 6.5.47...
I have tried to delete these items from my list, and exit out of the lists, then go back in and add back on to the list and once its saved, the list order shows as below...

THANKS!
~Jennifer~

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

The following three tests indicate this is still true for the Add function for Part Kits:

1. Add 5 parts individually; they appear in the kit in the same sequence
2. Add the same 5 parts together with the Tag & Transfer; they appear in the kit in the same sequence
3. Add the same 5 parts together with the Tag & Transfer, tagging them in REVERSE order; they appear in the kit in the same REVERSE order sequence
Tim McDonnell -
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

*** background to see if it makes a difference ***

These are my oil filters, they are a kit and part of a canned job, thus used as optional parts with a prompt.
The location that they are not in order is the pop up window used to select which oil filter will be used on the specific job.

Also, they appeared in order when I first entered them, but when I reopen the kit under 'edit' kit, they are in the order posted...

Is there any chance they are in order of how the inventory/part items were added to the system, and not in the order they were added to the kit?
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

That IS a different context; further testing:

1. Add parts to kit in a sequence
2. Attach that kit to a Canned Job; observe sequence when Optional Parts displays the part options - it is still the same
3. Go back and look at the kit sequence; it is still the same

Not sure where your issue is happening.
Tim McDonnell -
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

I will contact support and provide feedback from there...
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

Tim, would you mind trying one more test for me?

1) Add parts to inventory in the sequence provided
2) Add parts to kit in numerical order sequence
3) Save and exit kit
4) If you re-open the kit, does it display in the order provided, or in numerical order?

I am curious if the parts are remaining in the order they were added to inventory, rather than the order they were added to the kit.
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Yes, the part number sequence is maintained through every step.
Tim McDonnell -
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

Okay, just went into the tables & confirmed...

It does not matter what order you add the items into the kit, it is sorted in the background according to the order the items were added into inventory...
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I do not believe the order in which the records are entered into the inventory table has any bearing on the results.
Tim McDonnell -
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

Tim, I just linked in with support and showed them what I am encountering. No matter how I add the items to a kit, they are maintaining their own order. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide. It would even be nice if we were able to sort the columns in the window, then it would not be as much trouble.

THANKS!
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I just replied to the support agent, thanking for his level of engagement.

Obviously I cannot see the Parts ID on the surface in the user interface but I can readily observe the pattern. First the Kits I referred to last year in that thread were migrated from 5.9 so I created some new test kits today and it is still consistent to me that it the Kit items display sequence has everything to do with the order in which they were added.Test 1 is a mixture of three one-time adds from Inventory list and a Tag/Transfer of three more filters. They display in exactly the order I added them to the kit:
test1.png
test1.png (11.77 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Going a step further, I removed all the filter records and this time did a three part Tag / Transfer maneuver and it even respected the sequence WITHIN the TAGGING. [I tagged the zzz123 first, then ph2850 and last the LF-1, clicked Transfer and that’s exactly how they display]
test2.png
test2.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
In summary, you may have something goofy going on there, my results are consistently by sequence of parts added to the kit determining the display sequence.

We do need to overhaul this screen to sort by column (as we did with Canned Jobs recently) then as you mentioned all of this will be rendered moot. We group development tasks together to take care of several issues at once, I cannot say today exactly when this one gets the facelift. But I'd say we would get to it before long.
Tim McDonnell -
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

Maybe we're missing the following clarification...

They are initially added to the kit in the correct order; however, if you set them up with a prompt for use, they do not display in the selection window in the same order they were added, but instead the order of the primary key in the table.

These items were added in numerical order when setting up the kit, but in the prompt display I get the attached results.
Doc1.docx
(158.5 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Sorry if this seems like a hassle, but with others helping me now, I am getting a lot more errors because they aren't able to find the correct information from they system.

Thanks!
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

That makes a huge difference as that is a totally different dialog display we're talking about here.

Yes this is plain as day, I can easily explain this now. Stay tuned.
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Parts + Ordering”