Inventory Parts Don't Link With WorldPAC Transfers

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
BERGMANS1
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Inventory Parts Don't Link With WorldPAC Transfers

Post by BERGMANS1 »

We just switched to SE, have version 6.5.37.8. Now, when we link to WorldPac to order and transfer parts, NOTHING links to parts in the inventory system. It used to link in 5.9, based on just the part number.

Mitchell is telling me it is because the inventory DESCRIPTION AND VENDER/MANUFACTURER must now ALSO match! Our testing indicates that the description doesn't matter. The part number and manufacturer NOW must match, or the existing inventory item will not be matched. We also would match with alternate part numbers, but now do not. As the alternate part numbers are usually from a different manufacturer, I assume they no longer have a purpose, as they will not match transfers from WorldPac anymore either, as they will tranfer with a different manufacturer code. We buy identical parts from several vendors and manufacturers and they all go in the same spot on the shelf, as they are all interchangeable.

We also have changed the parts descriptions over the years on many inventory items, some to label window regulators (LF, RR, etc) and brake rotors and pads (front and rear), as well as putting the car line at the front of every description, so all BMW parts description's start with "BMW", VW with "VW" etc. Now, with the switch over, it will not match by part number alone. However!!! If I open the part , in the estimate, RO, or sub estimate, after transferring from WorldPac, copy the part number only, from that entry, then paste it into a new , blank part entry and hit the tab button, it finds the inventory item and links to it. Mitchell says I NEED to list the manufacturer in my inventory items for it to work. But, that would mean, when building sub-estimates, that I would need to select, from the WorldPac catalog, the brand of part that matches my current inventory item. That would require knowing, or checking, every item's brand, after I determine what i need for the job, and select and transfer that part with the brand that is specified in MY inventory item. If WP does not currently stock the identical brand, I will need to manually match the item to an inventory listing by cutting and pasting the part number in to a virgin, clear part order item entry.

Matching by part number alone worked fine for years. Brands change, but the part number IS the application. Perhaps if some people want to differentiate between brands, and have different inventory entries, while linking by part number alone, there could be a drop down box (like there currently is with duplicate or similar part numbers) to choose the brand.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re:Inventory Parts Don't Link With WorldPAC Transfers

Post by timbre4 »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

I have confirmed that tech support has made product management aware of this situation. Cannot say what the outcome will be as yet. In the meantime other shops may comment on this.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Good morning, just checking up on this issue. Has any progress been made? Copying and pasting the part number for every inventory item on every repair order to link it to inventory is getting tedious.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Inventory Parts Don't Link With WorldPAC Transfers

Post by timbre4 »

Clarification: You were correct - Description doesn't matter in the current test for uniqueness; Part # and Mfg. Line Code do.

The line code is necessary because part number alone is not enough to distinguish between two different items that could have the same part number. For example K50100 is a brake rotor but might also be a spark plug. The Line Code clinches it.
Tim McDonnell -
jpincharge

Post by jpincharge »

We have been having the same issue, we started entering the most popular vendor per specific part. I agree this has been a great inconvenience, got spoiled with 5.9

JP
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

timbre4 wrote:Clarification: You were correct - Description doesn't matter in the current test for uniqueness; Part # and Mfg. Line Code do.

The line code is necessary because part number alone is not enough to distinguish between two different items that could have the same part number. For example K50100 is a brake rotor but might also be a spark plug. The Line Code clinches it.
The problem with requiring a line code/ manufacturer is that I have NO IDEA what manufacturer Worldpac is going to be stocking that day. Or what manufacturer I have on the shelf. So, in the past, if there was more than one part with that part number (RARE, but it happens) the program showed both and gave me a choice. Simple, yet effective. I would click, and that part was linked with my inventory. Now, since ALL of my hundreds of inventory numbers were entered with NO manufacturer (which makes sense,BECAUSE PARTS BRANDS CARRIED BY VENDORS CHANGE ON A REGULAR BASIS!!), I link with NOTHING , instead of being given a choice. I would need to make an Inventory item for each part number, with every possible manufacturer, and have them all sub up to the one I choose to assign with a quantity. That is cumbersome and complicated. A better solution would be to have "ANY" or "ALL" as a choice for the manufacturer field, which would cause the program to match by PART NUMBER ONLY , as it did in the past. Shops would then be able to choose how to enter their stock items, and how to search for them. Very probable a simple coding in the program could accomplish this. Rather than being forced to have multiple inventory entries for every manufacturer, it would be SOOOOO much easier to just be given a choice of the parts that have the same part number, just like it used to do. Never any complaints, simple, and easy. Just like software is supposed to be. BY THE WAY, it currently WILL match by PART NUMBER ALONE, just not for transfers from a vendors catalog. If you enter just the part number manually in a blank part field and hit "tab", it finds the part. Just not on transfers from vendors catalogs. So, it appears the option is already there, and just needs to be tweaked for transfers.
alloutrepair

Post by alloutrepair »

This is becoming an issue for me as well as I often purchase the EXACT SAME item from multiple vendors, however, each of them use a different MFG code, and now they are all setting up in duplicate. This is actually adding a few more problems for me, because when I go to enter the inventory/costs, they are not matching up...

Please help! I need a way to select these items on an order regardless of who I am purchasing them from. Since the system isn't keeping up it's end with telling me which vendor each item/mfg combination is from.

Thanks!
~Jennifer~
THANKS!
~Jennifer~

*** Not challenging everyone, just thinking outside the box in an attempt to make life easier! ***
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I resurrected a Manager Plus 5.9 system today to confirm how it specifically behaves in regards to part numbers and line codes. Here are my results, testing with 5.9 + WorldPAC and same vehicle application: (2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4L V6)

1. Create inventory part (oil filter) from a WorldPAC part number; saved with NO line code.
2. Start an Estimate for this vehicle application
3. Go to the WorldPAC catalog and select 'oil filter' (same one as previous part record above)
wppart.png
wppart.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 9638 times
4. Transfer part back to Order screen (part # + line code visible)
5. Open Part Item Edit - see part record header dimmed indicating an inventory MATCH
partnocode.png
partnocode.png (34.03 KiB) Viewed 9638 times
So far so good; it seems to be working as this thread suggested.

6. Create the need to order this part for stock (6); lower the QOH down to re-order point (2)
7. Restock From Inventory - WorldPAC - this oil filter record (part # + no line code) suggests ordering 4 units
8. Click on Order Parts - it works [part # & vendor]
9. When part arrives, go to POs and Receive this PO

Now the tricky part:

Do you tell the system to "create an inventory part where none exists" or leave that box un-checked?
both.png
both.png (24.32 KiB) Viewed 9639 times
10a. box unchecked = parts "received" but the part record (part # only + no line code) doesn't update it still says QOH 2
10b. box checked = parts are received to NEW part record (part # + line code) QOH =4 and the existing part record (part # only + no line code) still says QOH 2
two parts.png
two parts.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 9638 times
Back to the point sale - ask for the same part #

11. Now there is an Alternate Part box displayed:
alt box.png
alt box.png (46.59 KiB) Viewed 9638 times
I need to understand how this doesn't happen all of the time.

Line Code for catalog-to-inventory match = NO
Line Code to Order for stock = NO
Line Code to Receive Inventory = YES
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

UPDATE

WorldPAC with Manager 5.9
1. Line Code for catalog-to-inventory match = NOT REQUIRED

2. Line Code to Order for stock = REQUIRED*
>>> a. Correct Line Code = OK
>>> b. Wrong Line Code = warning [fig 1]
>>> c. Blank Line Code = warning [fig 2] then verify part number while in catalog (then Checkout)
Fig. 1
Fig. 1
59 line code error.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 9624 times
Fig. 2
Fig. 2
5.9 wp fill in line code.png (8.71 KiB) Viewed 9624 times
3. Line Code to Receive Inventory = REQUIRED

WorldPAC with Manager SE

Line Code for catalog-to-inventory match = REQUIRED
Line Code to Order for stock = REQUIRED
Line Code to Receive Inventory = REQUIRED
Tim McDonnell -
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Is this issue still being worked on? I haven't seen a fix, just checking.

Thanks!
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

BERGMANS1 wrote:Is this issue still being worked on? I haven't seen a fix, just checking.

Thanks!
Are you by chance transferring parts from WorldPac to an Approved RO or Invoice?
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Johnny5 wrote:
BERGMANS1 wrote:Is this issue still being worked on? I haven't seen a fix, just checking.

Thanks!
Are you by chance transferring parts from WorldPac to an Approved RO or Invoice?
The issue happens when transferring parts from Worldpac to ShopKey no matter what. Estimate, Repair order, Counter sale, Sub est. All of the above.
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

We are still having to copy, and then paste, EVERY inventory item part number we transfer from WorldPac, in order to get them to link to our inventory items. This NEVER happened before the new version. REALLY slows down the estimating process. Someone from Mitchell asked if he could remote in and see, we responded yes, but we never heard back. REALLY NEED THIS FIXED!! Carl Bergman, owner
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

Carl,

I found the 'smoking gun' with the Worlpac routines. Below are the results of my test, I have turned this over to development to have it estimated so I can schedule a fix.

Worldpac Operation: Create invoice for 2008 Infiniti G37
5.9 ManagerPlus:
1. Create estimate
2. Create two line codes:
a. NPR/NPR
b. NPN/NPN
3. Create three inventory items: (no QOH)
a. B1000-289791 Code NPR / NPR
b. B1000-289791 Code NPN / NPN
c. XPZ-123 No line code assign B1000-289791 as an alternate part number
4. Open Worlpac catalog
a. Click on ‘Air Intake’ in left panel
b. Click on ‘Air Filter’ in right most panel
c. Click on Export
5. ‘Select Substitute Part’ dialog opens.
a. User can select any of the three parts; which also includes the alternate part
Test with no line code
1. Edit part with line code NPR by removing it: set it to <none>
2. Put that part on any Printed RO
3. Generate a Picklist
4. Order part from Worldpac from the PO screen.
a. Notice: Order went through without line code
5. Go back to order, try to order part from RO, notice it cannot be check and ordered because it has no line code?
• Do exactly the same as the 5.9 use case
• Notice the ‘Select Substitute Part’ is not presented
6.5 Notes: 6.5 requires a line code within the Purchase Order screen to Price Check or Order.
In 5.9 a line code is NOT required to order from Worldpac with the Purchase Order. Further, 5.9 has no price check button when Worldpac Linked vendor record is selected in the PO Screen.
Retired - Mitchell1
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

We are looking at something like this to help resolve parts. Please weigh in with comments.
catfix.jpg
catfix.jpg (180.78 KiB) Viewed 9367 times
Retired - Mitchell1
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

I am not sure why there needs to be an option, why would anyone not want to automatically check for alternate part numbers for the same part when it is imported?

I may be missing something.

Example. I stock a BMW filter that also fits a Volvo. BMW and Volvo obviously have different factory part numbers. But the filter manufacturer has the same part number, because it is the same filter. So when I import the Volvo filter from Worldpac, the number gets connected to the BMW filter. This way I do not waste my time ordering a filter I already have on the shelf.

If the option box is the only way to do it, so be it. As long as it works and does not require any data other than part number to match. If the manufacturer field is needed, then it will not help of course because the manufacturer is often different and we leave it blank.

Does that make sense?
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

BERGMANS1 wrote:I am not sure why there needs to be an option, why would anyone not want to automatically check for alternate part numbers for the same part when it is imported?
Example. I stock a BMW filter that also fits a Volvo. BMW and Volvo obviously have different factory part numbers. But the filter manufacturer has the same part number, because it is the same filter. So when I import the Volvo filter from Worldpac, the number gets connected to the BMW filter. This way I do not waste my time ordering a filter I already have on the shelf.

If the option box is the only way to do it, so be it. As long as it works and does not require any data other than part number to match. If the manufacturer field is needed, then it will not help of course because the manufacturer is often different and we leave it blank.

Does that make sense?
This does make sense. The transferred Volvo filter 'see's there is the same part number in inventory that happens to be the BMW filter. However (just so we agree), "... the number gets connected to the BMW filter." is technically incorrect. The 5.9 system 'looks' a the part being transferred form the catalog and compares the part number to inventory, if it matches the part number of any inventory item, the substitute box appears and allow you to pick the filter 'you have on the shelf.' In essence the catalog is being used as a inventory look-up mechanism. That is what we are proposing to do in 6.5.

But... how would the user handle the problem of ordering from a catalog that does require a linecode. The system can handle a match coming in because we control that in our application. But resolving it on the catalog end is out of our control. Here is an example that I see as a potential problem:

We need 6 sparks plugs for a vehicle. I open Worldpac / or any catalog, lookup the plugs (no.: DPR9EIX-9 code: NGK) and transfer then. The Select Substitute Part dialog opens because you have the same part number in inventory, it has a different line code(no.: DPR9EIX-9 code: NSP) , the quantity on hand is 4. Manager is smart enough to know you only need to order 2 of the plugs, DPR9EIX-9 code: NSP , because that is what is n ow on the order.

You open the parts ordering window and do a price check/availability with the same vendor you used to look-up DPR9EIX-9 code: NGK. . But you can't order from this vendor because they do not carry: DPR9EIX-9 code: NSP, and have no function in their catalog to ignore line codes? What would be the next step.
Retired - Mitchell1
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

I suppose I have never had that problem because of the way I order parts.

When I make an estimate, I click the order/export button in Worldpac. That button exports the part to shopkey of course and also drops the needed part into the lower screen on Worldpac's speeddial program. The parts that are exported to shopkey link with any parts that we have in stock and show the part to be an inventory item.

Once the work is sold, a tech worksheet is printed out. I check quantity in stock of inventory items to make sure we are good. The items we do not stock get ordered from Worldpac by hitting the submit button in speeddial.

The spark plug example is valid, but does not become a problem often. Most of our alternate part numbers are for things that are in a quantity of 1 on a vehicle, or maybe 2, such as a cabin filter. We stock a high quantity of spark plugs and have a high re-order level so we don't get below what it takes to do at least one car.

We pretty much never use Shopkey to order parts for us. We manually select the part manufacturer we want at the time of order. One day Worldpac may be out of Mann filters and I may have to buy Hengst. Also, the estimate may be made on one computer (mine) and the parts reserved on my speeddial. The work may be sold by someone else. When they hit the "parts ordering" button in shop key, it will try to order the parts from the speeddial on that computer. If the parts are reserved on my computer, the other computer cant take them, which of course becomes a problem if there is only 1 in stock locally.

Ultimately we don't care how it happens, but when Worldpac exports a part to Shopkey it needs to link to our inventory item.

Please. ;)
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

Just to be sure - there is no link - it is a match. The software will see the part number is the same as one in inventory and ask do you want to use the one from the catalog, or the one from inventory.

New optional setting - by default turned off.
option.jpg
option.jpg (175.7 KiB) Viewed 9321 times
What happens when catalog transfer a part number that matches in inventory:
alternate.jpg
alternate.jpg (68.56 KiB) Viewed 9321 times
Retired - Mitchell1
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »