Issue With PO & Committed Parts?

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
mspecperformance

Issue With PO & Committed Parts?

Post by mspecperformance »

I am very new to Mitchell and keeping inventory in general so please bear with me I may have made a glaring mistake along the way. I will try to describe in depth on how I was trying to attach a PO to an invoice and also create new parts entries in the inventory.

So i have found entering in parts in the correct order whether it be description or numbers to be very inconvenient due to having to be EXACT in spacing (for instance you can't enter in a part number as 12 34 5 678 910 and search it as 12345678910).

I thought i had found a short cut to this, this is what I've been trying to do for the past couple of days.

1. I import parts into the EST/WO through worldpac. I enter all the necessary information in the parts window however I keep the inventory box unchecked. I then convert the EST/WO to Invoice so that I can click on the OPTIONS button and click on PICK LIST. From there I select all the necessary parts and CREATE PO. Once I create PO I enter in all relevant info, I tag the parts and I click RECEIVE ALL. From here the program prompts and asks if I want to create an inventory entry for any part not already entered. I click SAVE after the parts are "received" and green colored. After this I close out the ticket like normal. With this process the parts are not COMMITTED and not subtracted from the inventory even though in the parts window the part is checked COMMITTED and the INVENTORY box is checked.

I also try to unpost the invoice and then delete all parts from the repair order, then transfer all of the same parts directly from the inventory and close out the ticket. Same thing happens, parts are checked committed but are not actually committed in the inventory screen and nothing is subtracted.

please help!
mspecperformance

Re: Having an issue with PO and committed parts

In the meantime should i just follow this work flow for manual entry PO...

Create PO and manually enter parts ========> Import Parts from WP =========> Confirm parts =============> close and post invoice?

Sorry for the noob questions. My sales rep has no idea how to actually work this software and I am winging everything.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Having an issue with PO and committed parts

Post by ricmorin »

Good morning.
So i have found entering in parts in the correct order whether it be description or numbers to be very inconvenient due to having to be EXACT in spacing (for instance you can't enter in a part number as 12 34 5 678 910 and search it as 12345678910).
As far as the database is concerned, a 'space' is a character. You need to enter all the spaces as it appears on the inventory record. We have many parts like this in our inventory as well. What we do is create an Alt part number without the spaces, so search can find it.
1. I import parts into the EST/WO through worldpac.
Which is it, an Estimate or a Repair Order? It makes a difference. A part on an Estimate is never committed. A part on a Repair Order that has been printed is committed. Note here about the printed part. If it's not printed or marked as printed, it will act like an Estimate. You can print them manually or set the program to mark all RO's as printed in Setup. The part will become committed once it is placed on a printed Repair Order. It will not deduct from Inventory until the Confirmed checkbox is clicked.
From here the program prompts and asks if I want to create an inventory entry for any part not already entered. I click SAVE after the parts are "received" and green colored.
You didn't say whether you selected yes to create an Inventory record when receiving. Remember, for the process to work as intended, you should be ordering and receiving parts on an RO which has been printed.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
mspecperformance

Re: Issue With PO & Committed Parts?

Ric thank you for the response!

Should I mark all as printed? It is currently not marked as printed. I get the prompt when I close out an invoice if I want to mark as printed. If this makes a difference I will mark them all as printed and see what happens.

I currently use report pro to print invoices so the prompt does nothing for me anyway.
ricmorin

Re: Issue With PO & Committed Parts?

Post by ricmorin »

If your process flow does not print an RO for the customer, best to set the program to do it automatically. Go to Setup>ShopData>ScreenView and select the box.
printed.png
printed.png (47.42 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Parts + Ordering”