Inventory Users Guide?

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Inventory Users Guide?

Post by ricmorin »

You can find my posts on handling returns. I've spoken of it often here. I have a special sheet for tracking. I inventory orings and hardware but not liquids like brake clean and wd40.

I'll post more detail later as I'm up to my eyes in broken cars. (a good thing) and yes, I have a written policy on this in my manual.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Here is a link to one of my posts from 2011.

http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.p ... res#p65494

There has been a slight change since we don't use tech worksheets anymore and we are still experimenting with procedure. Once we have it down we'll change our manual, but you get the idea. I can email you the form we created if you want.
603-622-6434 x203

Heidi5

Post by Heidi5 »

So in my search for an answer to my question I see I have had inventory questions a few years ago.......

We are a small shop that stocks very little, parts houses within a mile or so each way. My question is I enter new stock each week, update quantity and press "Save" yet when I go to enter new stock the next week it always seems my count is off on some items. What could be causing this? Lets say oil filters....some stocking numbers seem to be off by double digits so it's not just a counting error. Am I missing a step?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Heidi5 wrote:So in my search for an answer to my question I see I have had inventory questions a few years ago.......

We are a small shop that stocks very little, parts houses within a mile or so each way. My question is I enter new stock each week, update quantity and press "Save" yet when I go to enter new stock the next week it always seems my count is off on some items. What could be causing this? Lets say oil filters....some stocking numbers seem to be off by double digits so it's not just a counting error. Am I missing a step?
Maybe. It depends on which steps you are taking now and how you are taking them, and ultimately how inventory is accounted for when it leaves. I don't think there is any systemic flaw with the inventory module or there'd be multiple posts here in that regard. I sometimes find an item is off by one unit, but with a little tracking I usually find the culprit.

Please explain in detail your process and maybe we can track this down. :D
603-622-6434 x203

Heidi5

Post by Heidi5 »

Updating stock on hand procedure

1. Press "Inventory" tab
2. Enter part number
3. Double click highlighted part that needs to be updated
4. Change quantity on hand
5. Press "OK"

Of course I have no example to show you. We have just noticed that inventory on our oil filters always seems to be off. I am not thinking they are being stolen at all. I am wondering if I am not "saving" the change properly, although it seems like a very simple task. Is it possible that oil filters used are not coming out of inventory after the invoice posts?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Heidi5 wrote:Updating stock on hand procedure

1. Press "Inventory" tab
2. Enter part number
3. Double click highlighted part that needs to be updated
4. Change quantity on hand
5. Press "OK"

Of course I have no example to show you. We have just noticed that inventory on our oil filters always seems to be off. I am not thinking they are being stolen at all. I am wondering if I am not "saving" the change properly, although it seems like a very simple task. Is it possible that oil filters used are not coming out of inventory after the invoice posts?
Because you are changing quantities manually, you have no way of reconciling a discrepancy. Sometimes what seems to be isn't and without hard facts it's difficult to track down. Might I suggest you use Purchase Orders to get your inventory into your management system? Using PO's and billing out Invoices, you can use the reports to see how many of a certain part came in and how many went out. The difference is what you have on the shelf, or SHOULD have. That way you'll know if the discrepancy is real.
603-622-6434 x203

MURRI513
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by MURRI513 »

We have just started a new procedure where we no longer add parts to inventory just to the individual RO. In the past( adding parts to inventory) I would use the return function when the part was not used for that particular job, I keep all invoices with return parts, cores etc separate and l do not pay them until credits have been received. Actually this has helped with certain dealers that are very slow to issue credits. Since changing our procedure to not adding parts to inventory, I'm confused as to how to track them in manager. I take them off the RO, put the vendor invoice in my file, however how do I account for the part that is not physically here, and hasn't been charged out to anyone. Where does it go in the manager system, prior to the new procedure the part would automatically go back into the inventory after it was taken off the RO. I have re watched the videos, and not seen this addressed anywhere.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

If you do not create an inventory record for the part, it is not stocked and therefore not tracked in Manager SE, nor visible to Inventory Reports or the Return process. If the non-inventory part was sold on an invoice, it would appear on the Materials Used or Part Number Search reports. If a non-inventory item is not sold, there is nothing further in the system.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
tanyah
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by tanyah »

timbre4 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:14 am

The Tire checkbox is used to confirm which part records will be included in Tire Package search results.
Why does the tire checkbox eliminate the category selection? The box should be moved before the category field. Plus it gets missed half of the time due to its location on the screen, it is a very aggravating process of changing invoices to reflect so the tire package can be useful.

Return to “Parts + Ordering”