Inventory Users Guide?

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
Heidi5

Inventory Users Guide?

Post by Heidi5 »

I have been with my current shop for 2 years (ran 3 other shops for a total of 24 years). Current shop has never really used the inventory program. I have started entering fast moving items such as filters and brakes. I have so many questions though and would like to download/print some sort of guide that I can refer back to when I need help. Is such a guide available?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Inventory Users Guide?

Post by ricmorin »

I looked around and found this video.

http://m1training.net/VideoModules/Modu ... ule5B.html

Once you have watched, start asking questions!! :D
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

And here is a link to the new videos that Tim is hard at work developing. Bless his heart. 8)

http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=230&t=10897
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Thanks for posting those links Ric. It's true I am working on the new SE 6.5 videos every day right now.

Historically we covered that which was common to both versions (parts list versus inventory) of Manager but not much about inventory and purchase orders until now. Because we have now consolidated Manager SE to a single version that includes everything, I have produced the Inventory and P.O. videos first for our users. At the same time I am reconciling these against the SE Help pages so that we cover all of the bases.

In summary, you watch the videos now and I will post some of the script text below that will eventually be integrated into the Manager SE Help pages in a few weeks.

EDIT: The Manager SE home splash screen currently has a link to Parts Ordering Guide to explain more about Purchase Orders with screen samples: C:\Program Files (x86)\M1-SK\Teamworks\Manager\Background\PartsOrdering.html [please note that link is to a file copied to your local PC! Your path may VARY slightly. One day soon it will be a live link to a webpage.]
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

6090 Inventory List Screen

Inventory is defined as a complete list of on-hand items. Inventory in this program also means an array of parts handling features are included to manage stocked items as well as the many one-time pass-through parts, ordered electronically or entered manually. The inventory module tracks the quantity of parts added into the shop by vendor purchases and out of the shop through shop invoices. By creating part records, the inventory system can better track sales activity and suggested stocking levels through expanded reporting. To meet current repair order needs, stocked inventory is checked first. If the on-hand quantities are insufficient or different one-time parts are needed, this data will drive the Purchase Order process which is detailed in other Get2Know clips.
This video is primarily about Search and Transfer with an overview of features on the Inventory List screen. It is used in two different ways; when accessed from an order, it’s used to locate and select items to be transferred back to the order. Accessed from the Inventory menu or icon, the Inventory List is where new part records are added or file maintenance on items is performed. We’ll use the menu access first to discuss features in general and show typical Inventory access from an active order.
The Inventory menu provides access to the Inventory List screen, as well as Inventory Transactions, such as inventory adjustments in Physical Count or logging part Returns. Those functions are discussed in detail in another Get2Know clip.
Search Criteria - By including a search filter such as vendor, category, description, part number, information, that list can be reduced, making it easier to zero in on that item you’re looking for. If you run a Search for an item you absolutely know you have and the results are ‘No Records Found’, take a close look at your Search criteria to make sure you’re not asking for a combination that doesn’t exist. Just enter the portion you feel certain about. Suppose you wanted to see what you had in a particular range of parts; you could enter a partial part number and Search would deliver all records that contained that string of characters. Pressing Clear resets all fields for a new Search. Please note that a wildcard character, the percent sign (‘%’) is available to help. Enter ‘%filter’ in Description and run Search; the resulting list of parts includes ‘filter’ somewhere in the description field. The wildcard can also be used in the part number field as well as other fields in the program to locate information.
The Print function is handy to create your own custom parts list by first filtering with some combination of these parameters above. Copy allows users to select an existing part record to create a new inventory item; simply change the field values that are different and then click OK to save it. Update allows making changes to a range of records, selected by using the filters above. There is a video clip dedicated to this.
Add, Edit & Delete functions allow access to create, modify or remove part records.
The Transfer process starts from the Order screen, by clicking on Parts to open the Order Item Entry - Parts window. This is where you might type in a known part number or a new one-time part; in this instance an item from the Inventory List needs to be found. Click on Inventory to open the Inventory List screen. Clicking on Search by itself will cause a list of all part records to display.
Because we arrived by way of an open Repair Order, there was a Transfer button to use. If Inventory List had been chosen from the Inventory menu, there will be no Transfer button because the program sees no association to an order and sees your action as being strictly Inventory file maintenance. Now that the part has been located, use the Transfer button to copy it back to the Order Item Entry - Parts window. The program puts the cursor in the next likely decision to be made, which is quantity. Change the quantity or if one is sufficient, click on ‘Done’. The inventory part is now on the order.
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

6091 Add Part to Inventory

Adding a part to inventory - Go to the Inventory menu and select Inventory List. Please notice there is no Transfer button included; that’s because we didn’t arrive here by way of an open order. This will be a review of the details included in an inventory record. We’ll walk through the basics and then discuss the inventory concepts.
Click on Add to open the entry screen with the cursor in the Part # field. Our task now is to enter a new battery; type in a Part Number (up to 20 characters). Part Code is an abbreviation system as explained in Setup - Standard Descriptions. Next enter an appropriate Description for this part. The Size field is intended for use with tires.
Typically the Manufacturer field is filled in by electronic parts ordering activity. On a manual part entry like this, you may leave it blank or build your own codes in Setup if it will not be ordered from a parts catalog. Select a Category from the list; this way the sales of this part will be grouped under the right category rather than unassigned. Account class (and the Taxable checkbox), are defaulted to Parts Revenue (taxable) as assigned in your program Setup – Standard Tables – Account Classes; choose a different account only if an exception is required for this part record.
Location is handy for finding items on the shelf and for inventory worksheets in the future. Those can be printed in part number, description or location order, so be sure to enter one if known. The Attached parts function is explained in a separate clip. Comment is provided for any notes such as “order by the case”, “sold by the foot” or similar messages.
The Tire checkbox is used to confirm which part records will be included in Tire Package search results. Sale of this part can pay a variable tech commission you may have established in Technician setup or you may exempt it by checking the No Commission checkbox.
The Last Paid and Last Sold fields display no history yet as this is a brand new record. The program builds average cost data over time; it does this indefinitely unless On Hand falls to zero or negative quantity; the process starts over once On Hand is above zero again. Total Cost would display the actual dollar investment in this item and Total Price is the potential to be collected on Invoices based on current Sell Price.
Enter the quantity that is now in house into the On Hand field. Do not enter anything in On Order as that will populate based on electronic parts orders. It alerts us that there is an existing purchaser order in progress to replenish stock levels. Committed is self-generating and reflects the quantity of this part required to meet current shop order needs.
Enter the part cost [$43.60?] into the Last Cost field and press the Tab key; this allows the Matrix to calculate the Selling Price. You can overwrite this calculated price with a different price if desired, by checking the User Entered Price $ box and entering a price in the Price field. This sets and locks the selling price at the designated amount, protecting it from changing due to Cost or pricing updates. A similar option is found in the Order Item Entry - Parts window during an estimate or order. The difference here is changing a part record itself for all future sales instead of a one-time exception on an order. List is provided for parts that originated from the Estimator or parts catalogs; since this part is our unique creation, List is blank.
Stocking Level of each item is controlled with this value; the inventory system will always aim to have this number on hand. Re-Order Point serves as the trigger to make this item show up on re-stocking purchase orders as needed. In other words, how low will you let this item quantity get before you want the program to order some more back in to achieve the stocking level specified? Select OK and return to the Inventory List screen with your new part added.
Other inventory record functions such as Attached Items, Alternate Sale, Alternate Parts, Sales, Core, Fee, Vendor and Supersede are discussed in other video clips.
Tim McDonnell -
Heidi5

Post by Heidi5 »

WOW ... that's a LOT of info. I will have to spend some time looking it over and will ask what I need to after.

Thank you for your help
Heidi5

Post by Heidi5 »

So... I have read through what you sent me and watched a couple of the videos (Nice work Tim). I am familiar with the inventory process, having used Mitchell for a while now and I guess the area I need help with is the reporting area for parts/inventory. For instance, when deciding if I want to add a new oil filter to stock or just order it as needed. Is there a report that I can say the filter part # and it will tell me how many time/which customer it was used on in the past 6 months so I can decide if it is worth stocking? I have looked over the reports and do not see anything this specific. I was looking for very specific reporting, I see very generalized reports.

Thank you for all of your hard work in the customer service arena, it is much appreciated.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

There are a few reports worth mentioning. First is the part number search report. This will tell you all the times a particular number was invoiced within a date range you specify. This found under the management tab......
partnosearch.png
partnosearch.png (11.79 KiB) Viewed 12139 times
Second is the Non Stocked Parts Purchased report. It may be somewhat limited, but it will give you some ballpark figures. You can find this one under Inventory.

My preference is to make an inventory record for every part purchased.. Doing so gives me more options with parts research. The first option is a history check on a part within the last 12 months. With the part record open, click the Sales button to see a graph....
partssales.png
partssales.png (26.36 KiB) Viewed 12139 times
The last report is the Zero Stocking Level sales. If you are making every purchase an inventory item, you'll have lots of data for this report. You can date range this report and it too is found under the Inventory tab.
603-622-6434 x203

salineauto

Post by salineauto »

I have a question about that part sales graph. It doesn't specify the current month. For example it shows Feb. - to Jan. If its October and look at parts sales graph, it shows that I have sold this part in December. Am I to assume this graph is Feb. 2016 to October 2016 and then continuing back to Nov. 2015, Dec. 2015, & finally Jan. 2016? Does this makes sense? I figured it would start with the with oct. 2015/current month starting a year ago and going forward into the current month. Any help would be appreciated.
rhillig
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by rhillig »

ricmorin wrote: My preference is to make an inventory record for every part purchased.. Doing so gives me more options with parts research. The first option is a history check on a part within the last 12 months. With the part record open, click the Sales button to see a graph....
Ric - so you are saying you make an inventory for every part purchased? Even if it's a one time use part? At first I was thinking that's a lot of negative parts listings, but you are probably using the Purchase Order option correctly - unlike us ;)
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Yes. The boys at M1 say this is a bad idea as it can slow down your database. I've been doing it over 10 years. Speed seems ok to me.
603-622-6434 x203

tmbutitta
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by tmbutitta »

really new to the inventory.. and trying to learn as I go.

I have entered all of our inventory over the last few months, and have been restocking daily.. everything is going great with that

My problem is the PO page. We have never "received" our ordered parts other than our morning restock.

99% of the orders we make are electronic, but how do I receive it without making it an inventory item? basically keep it a one time inventory item. Do I just un-check the box that says "Create an inventory record for all parts received"?

And I assume we should always leave the box checked that says Receive parts to appropriate repair orders. But the real question is, how do you settle up at the end of the month or year when you do inventory? How do you track what parts never made it on a work order? What is the process and reports people follow for this?

I get the concept is everything ordered and received should be accounted for, and those that are not accounted for are basically missing inventory?!

Also, If i receive it, but do not apply it to an appropriate repair order (maybe its a revision), and then transfer it at a later time, will it remove it from inventory after I convert it to an invoice?

I have been trying to watch all the videos, and I am getting better at working this system, but still feel there are some questions that are not answered.
tmbutitta

Post by tmbutitta »

lastly,

we have had Mitchell since like 1995, and our electronic PO's go back to 2004. I have over 9,000 open PO's. Please tell me there is a way to purge this to start fresh? I cant imagine going through and closing these one by one....
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

but how do I receive it without making it an inventory item? basically keep it a one time inventory item. Do I just un-check the box that says "Create an inventory record for all parts received"?
Yes, uncheck that box.
how do you settle up at the end of the month or year when you do inventory? How do you track what parts never made it on a work order? What is the process and reports people follow for this?
The PO process brings the parts in either to inventory or orders. It cannot track whether they actually got there physically. That's up to you.
Also, If i receive it, but do not apply it to an appropriate repair order (maybe its a revision), and then transfer it at a later time, will it remove it from inventory after I convert it to an invoice?
Maybe. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't in my experience. Best to avoid this scenario or create those items as inventory. If it's an inventory item it will work.

we have had Mitchell since like 1995, and our electronic PO's go back to 2004. I have over 9,000 open PO's. Please tell me there is a way to purge this to start fresh? I cant imagine going through and closing these one by one....
According to Tim in a post from 2013, tech support can assist you in closing those out.
603-622-6434 x203

tmbutitta

Post by tmbutitta »

Thank you Ric,

so the only way to really "track" parts that haven't made it onto tickets is receive every part ordered to inventory?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

tmbutitta wrote:Thank you Ric,

so the only way to really "track" parts that haven't made it onto tickets is receive every part ordered to inventory?
That sounds accurate. I inventory everything I buy. I have better tracking that way and it insures that I never type the same part twice.
603-622-6434 x203

tmbutitta

Post by tmbutitta »

How often do you complete inventory and clean up the on hands and ordered parts?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

tmbutitta wrote:How often do you complete inventory and clean up the on hands and ordered parts?
I print a reorder sheet daily and do physical inventory on those items daily. We have a routine for returns (cores defectives and new) that nearly eliminates on hand quantity errors. I do physical inventory count monthly on rotating categories. I do QOH correction once a year to bring inventory cost to accuracy for my accountant.
603-622-6434 x203

tmbutitta

Post by tmbutitta »

ricmorin wrote:
tmbutitta wrote:How often do you complete inventory and clean up the on hands and ordered parts?
I print a reorder sheet daily and do physical inventory on those items daily. We have a routine for returns (cores defectives and new) that nearly eliminates on hand quantity errors. I do physical inventory count monthly on rotating categories. I do QOH correction once a year to bring inventory cost to accuracy for my accountant.
Do you have a written SOP on this, or can you share more in detail on the routine for returns?

what do you do for shop supplies? Do you inventory them? Hardware, orings, brake clean, engine de-greaser, etc..

Thanks for all the help

Return to “Parts + Ordering”