Upgrade to SE

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
hokiejill

Upgrade to SE

Post by hokiejill »

We want to upgrade to SE. We have been testing here in our Corporate Office but we have another change that is described below (with additional questions) that we would like advice on if we should tackle this before (using the current version) or after the upgrade (using SE).

At our sites, we are planning on significantly reducing the inventory. 1) Should we delete the part codes for inventory we do not plan to restock? If we delete the part code, how will that affect the audit trail (i.e., prior sales, purchases, etc.). We do not necessarily have sufficient paper records if the past activity were to disappear in Manager +. 2) Is there a way to move these part codes into a history table so that the audit trail remains, but when we run inventory reports, these parts would not show?
Ultimately our company would like to get rid of these parts out of our software system without muddying the audit trail.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Upgrade to SE

Post by timbre4 »

If we are talking about the same thing, Part Code abbreviations, these are small pieces of data that may or may not have been used. Same for Mfg. Line Codes; although these continue to be in play with catalogs and ordering. Better to leave those alone for matching to inventory records, I would think. Or were you referring to Category data?
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
hokiejill

Post by hokiejill »

I’m talking about the actual part inventory item code, not the characteristics of the inventory item, but the item itself.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

It's the use of "code" that's throwing me here; I believe you mean inventory part record itself? You can delete part records that you no longer expect to be ordering or stocking. Your posted invoices will retain the parts data and the historical reporting on past sales data will include previous sales of the items; these just will no longer be searchable as an individual part record in the current inventory table.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
hokiejill

Post by hokiejill »

How do we do a mass deletion without having to delete one at a time going through the user interface?

Do you recommend doing this before or after the upgrade?
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

hokiejill wrote:How do we do a mass deletion without having to delete one at a time going through the user interface?

Do you recommend doing this before or after the upgrade?
First, backup your database before beginning any delete process. This can be done in the application fairly quickly, but only if you have a list in the inventory window that you want to delete all of them. So conduct a search by category, vendor or partial part number first. When you have the list in the window, click the Delete button and hold Enter on the keyboard. It will begin rapidly deleting the parts.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Parts + Ordering”