Supersede/Alt Parts when importing from Napa Prolink

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
Rob@SD-AR

Supersede/Alt Parts when importing from Napa Prolink

Post by Rob@SD-AR »

Here is an example of what i'm trying to do and i can't seem to make it happen correctly.

Old part # 1234
New Part # 5678

When i log in to Napa Prolink and look up the part (that we stock and have in inventory) sometimes we forget and select the old part.
When importing it from Prolink in to Mitchell it just adds the old part normally. (I've tried setting up a Superseding part and had no luck)
I would like when i select Part 1234 in Prolink and import it, that it automatically adds part 5678 to the RO.

So i setup Alt parts, and this had no effect.
Even if i would type in 1234 manually, it would add part 1234 and not 5678 that i had listed as an Alt Part.
Then i changed the part numbers of the old parts to add a 'z' at the end.

After doing this when i manually add part 1234 it will pop up and offer to add part 5678 instead.
This is perfect, and i'm happy with this.

However when i use Prolink none of that works. It just adds the part using the default Napa name. (Since there is no part in our system with that number after adding the 'z', even though the number selected is an Alt Part)

So how can i get Prolink to correctly select the other part number when importing it to Mitchell?

I've read on the forums, i've looked through the videos and guides, and have not found anything. What am i missing?
ARS
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: Supersede/Alt Parts when importing from Napa Prolink

Post by ARS »

Following...

We had problems figuring how to set up the superseded parts also... We had an oil filter change from Napa - 27050 to 2100082 & we tried to set up the superseded part- it kept trying to restock 27050 instead of the new number 2100082 when pulling a P.O.
Rob@SD-AR

Post by Rob@SD-AR »

Oil Filters are where we are running in to the biggest issues too, We changed over from the Proselect to the Gold on a lot of our filters and have been having issues ever since.
Rob@SD-AR

Post by Rob@SD-AR »

ok, i think i have figured out the source of my problems, but i'm not sure how to fix it.

If you enter the new part, and use the old part number in the ALT PARTS, it will choose the new part when you add from the online catalogs
EXCEPT if the line codes are different.

So for an oil filter #1191 with a line code FIL, it will not find the alt part #21191 if the line code in the online catalog is anything other than FIL.
In my case the line code for the older filter #21191 is SFI, so Mitchell will not allow that part to be an alt part.

So Mitchell, what do i do?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Please know that depending on what kind of relationship you've defined, the rules for Alt part entries can differ from actual part records in your database. The Alt part is an alias for an existing part. To eliminate the issue from changing oil filter lines, I would consider a Supercede for each of these to the new equivalent part you order. That way you show the relationship and if the older number is requested, you get the split screen (old/new #) to select.

Since it wasn't mentioned so far, you might not be aware of this new option in Default Settings in regards to handling parts where there are line code differences:
Attachments
subpart.png
subpart.png (13.99 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rob@SD-AR

Post by Rob@SD-AR »

Thank you!

I don't believe that Supercede will work with a catalog import, only if you enter the part number manually.

When did that option get added for look for other part numbers?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Correct; the Supercede feature would not work with a catalog.

According to our WHAT'S NEW In The Release? link [home screen] we added the Default Setting option during the SE 6.6.8 release.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Parts + Ordering”