Create PO From Parts Line?

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Create PO From Parts Line?

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

This may have been discussed before BBUUUTTT...Would it be possible to have a button on the parts window to check that would auto generate and populate a PO?
Example: Ordering tires. Copy and paste the info from the tire supplier into the parts window on the RO. Now I have to manually create a PO for the tires. A check box to generate PO would save having to enter everything a second time.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Create PO From Parts Line?

Post by ricmorin »

I'm not sure I understand the line, 'enter everything a second time'. Once parts are on an order, you should click Options>Pick List. That should bring up a window to select the items you want to create a PO. Once selected, you input the vendor from the drop-down list. Is this not how you do it now?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Jeff @ Able Auto

:oops: Thanks Ric! I guess I need to get my M1 training manual out and re-read it. I never used PO's before I got Back Office. Never paid attention to the pick list :oops: . It has been a learning curve to say the least! I may learn all this before I retire!
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Haha. I make it sound so easy, don't I? Makes perfect sense when you're new to the PO process. Now you'll be whipping them out in no time.
603-622-6434 x203

motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by motley06 »

Also new to the PO process here (recently got back office)... Soooooo, what is/are the benefits to using POs when using back office? What are the disadvantages of NOT using the PO system?

My new SA asked me today if he should be doing that, and I really didn't have a good answer if he should waste his time doing it or not. I assume it's gotta be used for some benefit. We have a ton of open PO's from ordering parts electronically, but I don't see the point in having him close them out.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The benefit is you know what parts have been ordered, who ordered them, where they are going and which vendor they are from along with when they are arriving. It also helps when more than one person orders and/or receives.

I can't comment on Back Office, but I assume that the transfer creates a bill in QB? so you don't have to do it manually? IF that is true it's a time saver and lessens the chance for errors.

Whether created manually or electronically, once all the parts on the PO are received it is customary to close out the PO; the tracking process is over. Closing them leaves only the active PO's visible; much easier to navigate the window
603-622-6434 x203

Jeff @ Able Auto

If you use PO then back office will migrate the parts invoice into Quick Books for you..NO DOUBLE ENTRY! A few things I have learned in the last few months.
1) Close your PO as soon as the parts arrive. Otherwise they will show up in QB on the date you closed them
2) Be sure to enter the parts invoice number into the PO or you will have bills in QB that are difficult to track.
Just a few of the mistakes I have learned form. Now where did I put my M1 training manual?
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I use Back Office as well. I also close all my PO's out in Mitchell to cut down on clutter in the PO window. For me personally since I write a check for all parts as they arrive I had Back Office disable the PO import. If you are running account and pay at the end of the month it is very helpful but if you do as I do then it doesn't matter.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
motley06

Post by motley06 »

I write a check at the end of the month when the statement comes in. The problem I see is this: We order shop supplies and parts from our parts suppliers. So, at the end of each day, I guess I'd have to go through and basically sort out which tickets got run through the PO system and which tickets didn't. Me personally, at this time, I'd rather manually enter all the receipts by hand so I know they are all getting entered and going to the correct account.

I'm sure there is a simple policy I could put in place, but I have enough on my plate right now. Maybe later down the road. Thanks for the replies

Return to “Parts + Ordering”