Does Every PO turn into an Inventory Part?

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
blawyer41

Does Every PO turn into an Inventory Part?

Post by blawyer41 »

Anytime we bill for a part, and create the PO, that part now shows up in the inventory list, even if the quantity is 0 once the invoice is posted.....Does that mean eventually we are going to end up with 1,000,000 parts on our inventory list?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Does Every PO turn into an Inventory Part?

Post by ricmorin »

If you continue on your current path, you will end up with a lot of 'inventory'. I actually *want* this but most shops do not.

You can stop this from happening by deselecting a check box during the receive process. I'll show you.
Deselect this box!
Deselect this box!
inventoryforall.png (43.82 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
That will cure your ever-growing inventory list. (Mine is 800 pages long) :shock:
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by GUTHTIRE »

This one is a "bugger". Someone always seems to toggle it here but only when I'm away. :oops:
Dan
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

GUTHTIRE wrote:This one is a "bugger". Someone always seems to toggle it here but only when I'm away. :oops:
We call it "The Gremlin" :D
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
blawyer41

Post by blawyer41 »

I thought Mitchell WAS the Gremlin? lol

Thanks, we are at 271 pages currently :roll:
blawyer41

Post by blawyer41 »

Another reason I ask, I'm new here, or at least up in the office, and it has become my job to clean the inventory up. We have lots of things " in stock" that we don't stock, and also lots of negative inventory. On this stuff, I'm just wondering if its just as easy to delete it altogether, rather than change each quantity back to zero. We aren't real worried about keeping them in the system for prices or anything, since we have just switched to the matrix, but I'm wondering how all this will affect things on the Quickbooks end. We have learned that Quickbooks only likes it when you change quantities in the "Physical Count" window.
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Rich wrote:
GUTHTIRE wrote:This one is a "bugger". Someone always seems to toggle it here but only when I'm away. :oops:
If it is "The Gremlin" how can I get "The Gremlin" to clean-up the inventory after he/she clicks the checkbox? :lol:
Dan
Rich

Post by Rich »

GUTHTIRE wrote:
Rich wrote:
If it is "The Gremlin" how can I get "The Gremlin" to clean-up the inventory after he/she clicks the checkbox? :lol:
I wish I knew, because a lot of things would go much smoother here.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
LazyTurtle

Post by LazyTurtle »

blawyer41 wrote:Another reason I ask, I'm new here, or at least up in the office, and it has become my job to clean the inventory up. We have lots of things " in stock" that we don't stock, and also lots of negative inventory. On this stuff, I'm just wondering if its just as easy to delete it altogether, rather than change each quantity back to zero. We aren't real worried about keeping them in the system for prices or anything, since we have just switched to the matrix, but I'm wondering how all this will affect things on the Quickbooks end. We have learned that Quickbooks only likes it when you change quantities in the "Physical Count" window.
Hi Blawyer41,

When cleaning up inventory, you really have 2 options. Start over or print one of the inventory worksheet reports and manually fix your QoH. If you stock only a few parts, starting over is probably the easier of the two.

I looked up your account and see you have Accounting Link. While I cannot tell you how this would affect their integration, I consulted with our QBi team and they said if you were on the older QB integration software and deleted all inventory items, your assets in QB would get messy. My suggestion is to contact Accounting Link (866-964-9699) to understand how this will transfer into QB and to also keep your accountant in the loop. Communication is one of those keys to success and will certainly CYA when potentially thousands of $$$ worth of assets disappear all of a sudden.

Hope this helps!
blawyer41

Post by blawyer41 »

[quote="ricmorin"]If you continue on your current path, you will end up with a lot of 'inventory'. I actually *want* this but most shops do not.

You can stop this from happening by deselecting a check box during the receive process. I'll show you.
inventoryforall.png
That will cure your ever-growing inventory list. (Mine is 800 pages long) :shock:[/qu

Thanks! When you say you "want" all of that inventory, why exactly?? Collecting them like pokemon?? lol. I would say 75 percent of our parts on the inventory list is tires we sold one time. I just don't see how keeping them in the system would benefit us other then the chance that would sold one of them again, and didnt have to type all the info in again.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Yes, you hit on one of the reasons. The other reason is reporting. With the number in inventory, I can easily see the frequency of usage which may prompt a stocking quantity to increase my efficiency. We started doing this when online catalogs were in their infancy and much of our data entry was by hand. Catalogs make it a lot easier to get data into the program today so the need is lessened. Little tweaks in efficiency like this add up in the long run.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
blawyer41

Post by blawyer41 »

Sounds good, thanks! The majority of our list is tires ( which we don't and never will stock ), and Advance Auto Parts ( also not going to stock ). So having that info clog up the system i suppose is just not helpful at this point. We can get tires same day, and our Advance is a half mile away. We really only stock Wix oil filters, light bulbs, oil and fluids, and exhaust pipe and related stuff.
ambertsi
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by ambertsi »

We've been accepting all parts into inventory so we can build our inventory. A lot of our parts are repeat parts so, this has helped us more than it has hurt us. You can narrow down your inventory by sorting by category or even key words and print those lists to make it easier to manage. I regularly print reports for anything at or below 0 and I import inventory reports into Excel (data only) and do a duplicate search once a month to keep a handle on that. We use a lot of different types of parts because of the business we're in but, with the different ways we can narrow the reports down, keeping track of inventory has been manageable. I will say that I check on it way more than I normally would because we're still working on getting a system in place.

We completely gave up with QuickBooks integration. We now just scan expenses to the CPA and send her reports from Mitchell monthly and she handles all of that. We used Accounting Link for a while but it didn't recognize any changes made. So, if something pulled from M1 to QB and then we changed it in M1, Accounting Link wouldn't pick up on the change so it wouldn't queue the change to be pulled into QB at all, we'd have to manually do it.
Amber McKinley
Manager
Diesel Maintenance, Repair & Performance

Return to “Parts + Ordering”