Vendor setup - add "notes" field

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Vendor setup - add "notes" field

Post by Rich »

Just an idea rolling around with the marbles in my cranium.

In the Vendor setup screen we have, vendor name, code, contact, phone and fax.

It would handy to have a "notes" field that showed up when the vendor setup screen was open. Right now for some vendors I am using the contact field for things like "cut off 11, 9/1 cut offs" I use them because we have so many vendors that I can't keep track of who has what cut off time for afternoon part deliveries. If I could have a field for those notes it would be great! "cut off 9 delivery 1" (if the field was small I can make that CO9-D1)

For my use I would not need a huge field, just something like 20-25 spaces. Others could use that field for what ever.
Attachments
Annotation 2020-08-25 094754.jpg
Annotation 2020-08-25 094754.jpg (94.88 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ShopManTim
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: Vendor setup - add "notes" field

Post by ShopManTim »

I agree with this but would add that the note field be made larger, say like 100-120 spaces. I am accustomed to QuickBooks where there is notes on many things including vendors.
Enjoying Life as Our Maker Designed - Wrenching to pay the bills
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

There *is* a notes field when you open a vendor record.
vendor_notes.png
vendor_notes.png (17.92 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Are you asking that it be displayed in the Vendor list with its own column? That is something I would like.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ric,

I get that there is one, I'd like to have the ability to see the note with out opening up a screen other than the "vendor setup" screen.

Most of the time it is a "time crunch" thing. It is about 10:45 and I have to pull parts out of one of two suppliers that are 60 miles away. They both deliver here. If I can see quickly that (in example above) that ACI's cutoff is 11:30 I will look at Rowerdink (not in example) and see their cutoff is 11:00, I know I have to hustle to get the anything looked up and ordered from Rowerdink, but with ACI i have a little extra time. Or that i have missed a cut off time and I can not have parts the same day.

If it was a simple "little" note on the main page it would fit my needs. As above, if i had room I could put in there, cut off time 9 and 1 - deliveries 11 and 3. But if it is short I can shorten note to something like CO9/1. D11/3

The comments field that you show is great for more in-depth notes. It is where I'd put it more detailed stuff, like for Jasper.... Marty Ex. 13481, if he is gone and you have to have it call his brother Jay at 12013. and actually that field needs work. If you enter one line of info and hit "enter" to make a second line it closes the screen, Very difficult for me to organize it to suit my type "A" - OCD brain
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

That's what I thought. Obviously there would be a limit of how much could be displayed in the vendor list view. Good idea. I often have data in the notes field and have to open the record to view. Usually its short but those extra steps could be avoided.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Parts + Ordering”