Estimator Intent Changes

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Estimator Intent Changes

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Came in today and clicked Estimator from within Shop Management. Layout is different. Search is in middle of page. Doesn't look integrated with the product.

No notification what's so ever that this change was being implemented. Wheeeee!
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Estimator Intent Changes

Post by timbre4 »

This Estimator update was just turned on rolled out to our independent sales reps last night. An email went out to Estimator subscribers Tuesday, apologies if you didn't receive that.

The Estimator intent (name we use for interface from Estimator to SE) also looks different as a result. Search moved to the center as part of the single Parts & Labor lookup functionality.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
blakevosburg

Post by blakevosburg »

High hopes that we see visual improvements to the new SE Estimator layout very soon. At first glance I was certain this feature was only half-baked and still in testing. Any immediate plans from the development team?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

blakevosburg wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:11 am
High hopes that we see visual improvements to the new SE Estimator layout very soon. At first glance I was certain this feature was only half-baked and still in testing. Any immediate plans from the development team?
We're talking about two things here; the stand-alone Estimator and the Estimator intent which is the vehicle to transfer Estimator content back to Manager SE. The stand-alone Estimator was just revamped (list below) and the intent will reflect only some portion of that work. If we'd left the old version in place, it would not be possible to get parts & Labor at the same time (top request). It's not pretty but that change is a good step forward.

Parts & Labor as a single lookup search return (top user request)
Parts, labor & diagrams on same screen
Part quantity change at the selection point
Combination times split out for better readability
Maintenance information tables expanded out to 300K (* where we did this)
Mileage Since table added, etc.

There has been some discussion about the Estimator intent having a part quantity selector (also new in Estimator) but the initial feedback indicated not much OE parts transfer to warrant including it.

What is your expectation?
Tim McDonnell -
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I was used to the old version. This may just take some time to get used to it.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

brianp87 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:57 am
Change is hard.
Tim McDonnell -
murraymotive
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by murraymotive »

timbre4 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:35 pm
brianp87 wrote:
Change is hard.
It shouldn't be, especially for software that's meant to make things easier and especially not for a core feature that every single one of your Manager/Teamworks customers use.
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

The added functionality in the Intent is nice. The lack of communication that it was going live and also it just looks half-baked is concerning. Prior to reading the appends above I tried to search for information as to why this change was made and what functionality benefits there may be. I found none. In addition, there's no mention of it on the WIP splash screen either. As mentioned, it was just a shock to one day click on the Estimator and it was changed. On our end it just looks like a white browser screen with a menu down the side...no branding at all. You can definitely tell you've left Shop Management.
Dan
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

murraymotive wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 am
timbre4 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:35 pm
brianp87 wrote:
Change is hard.
It shouldn't be, especially for software that's meant to make things easier and especially not for a core feature that every single one of your Manager/Teamworks customers use.
That comment was a generalization about human nature and I certainly include myself in that. The existing Estimator selection elements are still present in this screen, re-arranged to accommodate the Parts & Labor together on Search returns. That was the rationale for the change.

Please share any specifics you have so that we may improve the user experience. We welcome your feedback.
Tim McDonnell -
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I'm good with it. It is more like the repair info side which I use as well as the managment side. I had sticker shock at first but I am working through it and trust the benefit is worth it.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:39 am
The added functionality in the Intent is nice. The lack of communication that it was going live and also it just looks half-baked is concerning. Prior to reading the appends above I tried to search for information as to why this change was made and what functionality benefits there may be. I found none. In addition, there's no mention of it on the WIP splash screen either. As mentioned, it was just a shock to one day click on the Estimator and it was changed. On our end it just looks like a white browser screen with a menu down the side...no branding at all. You can definitely tell you've left Shop Management.
This is a release by the ProDemand shop team and not a specific Manager release; that is why it wouldn't appear in the Manager SE What's New change log. All ProDemand customers received an email about the update.
The Estimator intent is a sub-set of the stand-alone Estimator product. We can submit suggestions to improve the appearance based on user input. Functionally is the priority and I believe it's close enough to what we had previously. Feedback is always welcome.
Tim McDonnell -
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

One thing i have noticed that does not make sense to me is that the starter and battery are now under engine mechanical and not under electrical like before. Took me a minute to find the starter the other day. Now that i know, i can find it with no problem but wonder what else has moved like that.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

liljoe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:15 pm
One thing i have noticed that does not make sense to me is that the starter and battery are now under engine mechanical and not under electrical like before. Took me a minute to find the starter the other day. Now that i know, i can find it with no problem but wonder what else has moved like that.
That's one of the OE service manual headaches; the manuals cover it under engine mechanical and our customers were always expecting it under Electrical. We may have had it in both places and it stopped.
Will inquire and advise.
Tim McDonnell -
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Thanks, also noticed the same for fuel pumps. Used to be in engine performance and now it is not....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

liljoe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:15 pm
Battery & Starter were under both Electrical and Engine Mechanical in the previous version of Estimate Guide. It currently shows under Engine Mechanical but it has been modified to be back under both again. It will be public facing the week of Feb 19th.
Tim McDonnell -
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I have been having to watch close as the warranty labor time is lister first and if in a hurry can see someone using it by mistake.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

brianp87 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:41 am
I have been having to watch close as the warranty labor time is lister first and if in a hurry can see someone using it by mistake.
Our ProDemand Product Manager said he was reviewing this, as it wasn't necessarily by design. I have a feeling by the time it might be reverted, you may be accustomed to the current layout though.
M1 Product Manager
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Im ok either way. I just pointed it out as more of a warning for others.

Return to “Parts + Ordering”