POS quantity conversion

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
Prestige1
25 Club: Starting Contributor

POS quantity conversion

Post by Prestige1 »

So question. I've recently started working in the POS for stock items that we keep track of so I can automatically update the quantity on hand all at once instead of going into each individual one.
So my question is, is there a way to make "x" being ordered, but have it split down to "xx amount" when being converted into inventory?

As Example:
In order to track these rivets correctly we have them singled out to price them better on each individual invoice. But when you transfer it over to the POS, it will pull up the amount needed ( I adjusted this so we get a full back of 25). Right now I have to hand order the items myself but I still do the price check. Eventually it would be nice to order directly from the system, but thats not an option at the moment. But say it was, it would put an order out for 25 packs of 25 Rivets, which is alot of money, and we don't go through that in a year. So I wasn't sure if there was a way to convert it down. Like say have it set that it orders 1 pack of 25 but when it gets entered into the system it converts the 1 pack down to 25 when adding it to the inventory. It would be nice to have the reverse too, but right now I'm just worried about it going into inventory since I'm hand ordering myself. I attached some examples if that helps.

I'm so sorry if this is so confusing haha. :?
Part of me feels like its not am option though haha so I'll have to continue ordering by hand.
Attachments
In stock inventory
In stock inventory
1.png (35.48 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
POS order
POS order
2.png (23.67 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
Website incormation
Website incormation
3.png (13.38 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
Christina
Office Assistant | Prestige Automotive LLC
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: POS quantity conversion

Post by ricmorin »

I do this all the time. For those items that I order electronically AND come in package quantities BUT I sell them individually, I do the following....

Set the price for the individual sale by dividing the quantity by the package price.
Set the reorder and minimum so the package quantity appears correct.
Place a note somewhere so I know this is a package purchase and the quantity.

Now when I reorder, I manually change the quantity to one and place my order. Then I go back and reset to the correct quantity and individual price. When I receive, all is as it should be.

For items that come in a 2 pack or other small quantities, I order and stock as is, noting in the part description of the individual sale, ie: .5=1 or .25=1. Ordering these requires no manipulation.

HTH
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Prestige1

Post by Prestige1 »

That's kind of what I do when I manually order the items myself. I do a price check every so often through the mitchell system to make sure nothing needs updated and thats usually when it throws me off because I leave it at the normal "need 25" instead of the "need 1 pack of 25".

If only there was a way that it would automatically do that in the system. At least from a quick, 1 tap system in mind when it comes to ordering. Then you don't have to worry about changing it every time and remembering to change it back after.
Christina
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I believe there is a story written on this. I remember Tim polling some users on how they do it. That would lead me to believe they are aware of the issue. I know how you feel. If I forget on the front end I get too many. If I forget on the tail end then I have too few. LOL.
603-622-6434 x203

Prestige1

Post by Prestige1 »

Here's to hoping its in some future update lol Sadly probably not any time soon, but it's still a nice thought.

I totally agree also. It's a loose loose situation in that case. Especially if you find out like a few weeks later and you can't figure out why it looks the way it does. Thankfully with how small of a shop we are, we can still do manual through the online ordering at our parts suppliers, or call it in ourselves. But just wanted to be prepared for the future when we need to save time and do it all online through the mitchell system.
Christina
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Yeah, and it's not just the quantity. If you load a single part with a quantity price it messes everything up. Best practice for now is to stock it the way you buy it, and only stray from that when you have enough procedure in place to not mess it up! :roll:
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Parts + Ordering”