Link PO to Customer

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
JPReilly

Link PO to Customer

Post by JPReilly »

Is there a way to link POs to a customer? Real world example - We ordered a tire in a revision with no open repair order/estimate. Forgot to put customer name in PO (our fault and clearly where the problem is). On the PO is shows what estimate # the PO goes to. But if there is no estimate started it still comes up with a number. But it does not show up on the WIP screen. I managed to finally find the customer that the tire belongs to buy going back in history for the day we bought the tire. Why cant the system link the PO to the customer?
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Link PO to Customer

Post by megoff »

Hi JPReilly,

POs are intended to be ordered from the RO/SO phase as that is when a shop should have approval for the work. Ordering from Revisions has been problematic as there is no order number directly connected to the order, the other issue that happens is when the parts are ordered on during the Estimate phase. Since the Estimate number does not always match the RO/INV number it can be difficult to link.

One way that may allow you to see what the RO/INV number would be when receiving the parts from the PO. If the part is on an "Approved RO" you can receive the parts to the appropriate RO which will show you the order number to receive the part to.
M1 Product Manager
JPReilly

Post by JPReilly »

We use revisions to order parts ahead of time for jobs.... normal process is to open est from schedule, transfer rev and order parts... In this case customer had car in shop and we couldn't get tires same day so she picked car up and then called next day to order the tires... so I ordered them from revisions and then made the appointment.... backwards of normal practice and I realize my fault... but would be nice if the PO had the customer name or number on it for instances like this. Cant imagine this would be difficult to write into the code
megoff
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by megoff »

If you're ordering parts ahead of time to complete a job, it would be recommended to create a Special Order. This option is in the Schedule now and functions the same as an RO. Ordering from Estimates since the numbers are not the same as the RO number will always show different numbers.

If you sell a revision to an order it will automatically convert to an RO, but if you start a Special Order (one of the many uses for special orders) to order parts ahead of the customer showing up everything will link accordingly.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Parts + Ordering”