Deposit Required to Order Parts

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
PMAservicedesk

Deposit Required to Order Parts

Post by PMAservicedesk »

I'm wondering how other shops manage deposit payments from customers (i.e. when parts need to be ordered in and are not returnable). From what I can see, payments can not be posted to a revision because nothing is technically confirmed on that screen. However, our WIP screen then becomes jammed up by times with ROs for vehicles that we may not see for weeks or months, longer if the item in question is back ordered. This works OK and isn't a huge issue - but I thought maybe we were missing something or another shop might have a better way of handling the situation. Thanks!!
Miranda
Peter MacNeil Automotive
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Deposit Required to Order Parts

Post by Silky7 »

Hi Miranda,

This sounds like a perfect case for Special Orders. Ric may happen along to give the full explanation, but in the interim you might want to search the forum for special orders. He's explained them before for others. They're very much like a RO, but easily hidden from the WIP.
M1 Product Manager
PMAservicedesk

Post by PMAservicedesk »

That's helpful - I'll look into special orders and see if they suit our needs. Thank you!
Miranda
Peter MacNeil Automotive
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

SPECIAL ORDERS!!!!!! YES.

Just search the forum here as I've advocated for these ad nauseam. Special Orders act like Repair Orders for ordering parts and taking payments, but can be separated from Repair Orders on the WIP to differentiate from work that is actual ongoing. They play nice with electronic catalogs. We use them all the time.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Parts + Ordering”