Inventory Stock Location

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
Daniel Kreider
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Inventory Stock Location

Post by Daniel Kreider »

I am working at setting up stock locations for parts in my parts room and need a consistent way of remembering the various locations that are already stored in the system.
It seems like the best way of setting this up would be to have a drop down right in the inventory item setup window similar to the way multiple other lists have drop-downs to validate the entry.
Examples of these would be: Technician, RO status, Category, Manufacturer, and vendor lists.

The preferred method would be to use the format like is used in the primary and secondary vendor lists in the part vendor window.
Seems to me this would save us much confusion with our stock locations, but maybe someone can direct me to a better method that I totally missed ?
Inventory Stock Location.jpg
Inventory Stock Location.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Here is a snap of my sprouting organization, but I really think the Miracle Grow to my efforts would be to have an organized, patterned way of keeping things consistent. (An incorrect character or space skews the stock location list)
Inventory worksheet by location.jpg
Inventory worksheet by location.jpg (103.83 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Inventory Stock Location

Post by Silky7 »

Hi Daniel,

Interestingly enough, this is the second time I've heard this request this year.

Like anything in software development, it's a bit more work than it sounds. I've kept it in the backlog still, but it's not been a priority just yet.

(As odd as it may sound, the majority of our customers don't even use Inventory.)
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Inventory Stock Location

Post by ricmorin »

We use a format that is similar. Shelf units are S, cabinets are C. Shelves are 1, 2, 3. Sub containers are A, B, C. So a location bearing S1S3G would be a container named G on the third shelf of shelf unit 1. This has worked well for us for 20+ years. Everything is labeled.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Parts + Ordering”