Minus QTY inventory

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
TWTaylor

Minus QTY inventory

Post by TWTaylor »

Why does the field for QTY go to a negative number? If I show a -10 filters and I order 10 filters and bring them in using a PO once done the qty on hand is zero, it should be 10. Either don't let the on hand qty go to a negative number or always update the on hand qty to the purchase order total.

Tim
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Minus QTY inventory

Post by ricmorin »

TWTaylor wrote:Why does the field for QTY go to a negative number? If I show a -10 filters and I order 10 filters and bring them in using a PO once done the qty on hand is zero, it should be 10. Either don't let the on hand qty go to a negative number or always update the on hand qty to the purchase order total.

Tim
The field goes to a negative number because the program sold more filters than it had. If you show -10 and order 10, the net result is zero, not 10. The program is simply doing simple math. If you have negative quantities, you need to reset to zero since it's not physically possible to have less than zero. Then, you need to discover why a part went negative. Sometimes it's a program glitch and sometimes it's a counting error.

You don't want the program doing anything outside known math; chaos would result.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

It sounds like POs are being created to order parts for stock, but are the PO parts being rec'd? If you never receive the parts, the system can't read your mind that they have arrived. :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Good point, I didn't think of that.

There are times where the quantity (on paper) can go negative, but it would be limited and correct itself once PO's are processed. Best to look at your processes.

Are you a ManagerPlus user? Do you use the Restock from Inventory function? In the case which you described I would expect the program to order 20 filters if you had -10 and you stock quantity is 10. Again, the program is just doing math. It has no knowledge of intention.

Additionally, I always do a physical count before doing any re-order. It doesn't take that much time and it allows me to identify discrepancies early. That helps me find the cause. I like to run a tight ship.

HTH
603-622-6434 x203

TWTaylor

Post by TWTaylor »

I quit using the "Restock From Inventory" years ago. I forget exactly why but it was a major problem for me.

So the answer is "Zero the Qty before you do a PO" ?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Restock From Inventory looks at stock levels and re-order points then creates a suggested PO based on "what you are low or run out of".

To not use this requires the user to manually figure out what is needed to replenish, which of course is additional work.
Tim McDonnell -
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

TWTaylor wrote:I quit using the "Restock From Inventory" years ago. I forget exactly why but it was a major problem for me.

So the answer is "Zero the Qty before you do a PO" ?
Wow. I find this surprising as I DEPEND on this feature daily.

Yes, make sure no values are less than zero. Being a curious sort, I'd want to know the source, but if you set them to zero you should be better off than you are now.
603-622-6434 x203

Cory
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Cory »

Since switching to 6.x I am having issues with inventory. It never seems to be right, can't find out what is causing this.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I have a few issues with 5.9. WorldPac orders rarely update QOH and there is an issue with Special Orders and committed fields. That is one of the reasons I take physical inventory before any reorder AND I check committed as well. Beyond that it's pretty good.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

This is a 5.9 topic but I want you all to know that the product team requested all my notes regarding SE inventory issues and the forum conversations are included in that.

Now that the migration and reports catch are behind us, we can dive further into this specifically with the team.
Tim McDonnell -
topshop

Post by topshop »

timbre4 wrote:This is a 5.9 topic but I want you all to know that the product team requested all my notes regarding SE inventory issues and the forum conversations are included in that.

Now that the migration and reports catch are behind us, we can dive further into this specifically with the team.
Checked this just now:

NAPA low inventory by vendor, hand added of course: $142.53

NAPA restock from inventory purchase order: $18,188.59

That feature worked pretty much flawlessly from 1996 until the "upgrade" in early 2011.

So, today we do stock orders by hand....just like in the old days, but we still pay the big bucks for "premium" software.

I could say much more....but I won't.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

It is unclear to me which version you have; does "upgrade" mean jump from 5.9 to SE or is this an update and you're still on 5.9?

Please advise.
Tim McDonnell -
topshop

Post by topshop »

timbre4 wrote:Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

It is unclear to me which version you have; does "upgrade" mean jump from 5.9 to SE or is this an update and you're still on 5.9?

Please advise.
TeamWorks SE v6.4.70.7
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Okay, my previous response about notes given to SE team applies. When I have something additional I'll post to the appropriate topics.
Tim McDonnell -
topshop

Post by topshop »

timbre4 wrote:Okay, my previous response about notes given to SE team applies. When I have something additional I'll post to the appropriate topics.
Thanks. While you are at it, how about finding out what the logic was to delete the inventory worksheet by locations. We spent a lot of time entering locations in for every part, then doing the physical inventory was a fairly quick process. But since they deleted that report, we are back to the old days again.

I wonder sometimes - "what were they they thinking when they did that?"
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I guess you haven't yet come across the explanation why some reports are missing so I'll catch you up here.

Manager SE development started AFTER a number of reports were added to Manager 5.9; in addition to that a few reports such as the Inventory worksheets were in the program but missing from the Reports menu (user interface selection). NOTE: If you look at the EndOf Day Reports list I'll bet you see it there.

The good news is the Manager SE 6.4c upgrade disc shipping adds back the missing inventory worksheets to the Inventory Reports menu. I got mine about 10 days ago and the reports are there now.
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Parts + Ordering”