Vendor Invoice # on PO?

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
jhenry

Vendor Invoice # on PO?

Post by jhenry »

Curious if I am missing something with regards to Purchase Orders. Hopefully someone out there can help. Here's the scenario...

Let's say I look up a part on Carquest link via Mitchell 5.9. I transfer the part to my repair order, which opens up a part line with all the necessary info perfectly (part #, line code, cost, retail, vendor, etc.) All good. I then sell the job and order the part electronically, using my customer's last name as the reference #. This creates an open PO in Mitchell and the order goes through to the vendor. The part arrives and I open up the corresponding open PO to receive the part. But here is where I think a couple of things just don't add up in my mind.

First, I type in the vendors invoice # into the box labeled REF/INV. I then hit RECEIVE ALL and immediately get the message that no part # on any repair order matches the part# I am receiving (???? even though the part # was taken exactly from the original part line electronically). How can this be????

Secondly, the vendor invoice # that I just entered on the PO does not transfer to the reference box on the part line. So I have to manually open each part line and input the vendor's invoice #.

Am I missing something here???
J.Henry
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Vendor Invoice # on PO?

Post by Rich »

As far as I understand your question, No your not doing any thing wrong. And yes you must open each and every part to add the invoice.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Here is a sequence using a 5.9 customer/vehicle with CQ Weblink II catalog interface:

1. Look up belts for Jetta, transfer them back to the order
2. Go to Parts Ordering window, enter Jorgensen Jetta in Ref/Inv # field
3. With CQ vendor selected, click Price Check and observe results
4. Proceed by clicking on Order Parts, respond to Update (all, all retain price or don't update)

When you clicked Order Parts, whatever you typed in the Ref/Inv# field (example: Jorgensen Jetta) is copied into each of the part lines on the RO that were just ordered (visible in the Part Item Edit view and View PO or Options - Purchase Order view).

Parts arrive; open the PO and see that Jorgensen Jetta is in the Ref/Inv# field on this PO worksheet so nothing to enter. [more below]

5. Click on Receive All and the parts are seen by the system and dispatched to the RO they came from. End of story.

It sounds like you're thinking that you may input the vendor invoice # in the PO worksheet's Ref/Inv# field? You can but it will not trickle down to the order part item level. I typed 987654321 into the Ref/Inv# field on PO worksheet and it was accepted.

I cannot account for the error message you rec'd as I've never seen it. If your steps differ, this may explain where it came from.

Then I looked into the part item(s) down at the RO level and they still said Jorgensen Jetta in the Ref/Inv# field as expected. It is the parts ordering step that populates this field; nothing done afterwards changes it.

I've proposed an enhancement where you enter the vendor invoice number on the PO worksheet when receiving the parts and that WOULD trickle down to the part record level on the order. This would also be visible from History screen later.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

First, I type in the vendors invoice # into the box labeled REF/INV. I then hit RECEIVE ALL and immediately get the message that no part # on any repair order matches the part# I am receiving (???? even though the part # was taken exactly from the original part line electronically). How can this be????
This can happen if your RO is not marked as printed, or you order from a revision or an estimate. Otherwise it should link.
Secondly, the vendor invoice # that I just entered on the PO does not transfer to the reference box on the part line. So I have to manually open each part line and input the vendor's invoice #.
As Rich said, that is the way it works right now. I agree it would make sense to populate those fields. There may be an enhancement request for this as it has been discussed here in the past.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
jhenry

Post by jhenry »

Thanks, Tim. It is a shame that it will not trickle down, to eliminate double entry....maybe someday.
Amd thanks, Ric...the problem was that we were ordering from the revision/estimate screen BEFORE we transferred to the order screen.
J Henry
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Good. Some tips if you have to order early/before approval.......you can move your revision directly to the order and place the order electronically. Then when it comes time to obtain customer approval, you can take a blank Revision and click on Sell Revision. The 'Current Order Variance' will dictate the difference between the original order and the new stuff. If that doesn't work, you can copy the stuff back to a Revision and sell it that way. We sometimes identify the PO as a pre-order for 'customer name" so that if someone outside the loop receives the part, they know where it goes.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Parts + Ordering”