TIP: Separating Parts Sales

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
safari_ltd

TIP: Separating Parts Sales

Post by safari_ltd »

I am looking for a bit of help. I am trying to decipher costs associated with our service sales and separately with our parts only sales - ideally on a weekly basis. Our shop does service and also carries a parts inventory and sells parts over the counter and commercially so we do not record our parts sales just as a 'counter sales'. To be brief:

1. I used the Service Writer Posted Orders (by week) to highlight the parts only sales (the ones without labor obviously) & then double check the ones that do not have a hazmat charge & look up those individually on Mitchell to see if there were shipped (we have outgoing freight as sublet labor) & highlight accordingly. I take this report and separate the parts sales, service sales, zero’d invoices (which play into the average RO $), & WOA. Most of these reports are 3-5 pages long and this process is somewhat timely but doable.

2. Where I am running into a serious issue, is trying to decipher the cost of the parts for the parts only sales and the cost of the parts for the service sales. There seem to be only 2 reports the Posted Order Detail Report (which for this one week is 19 pages) or The Invoice Profit Summary Report gives the cost but I still need to have it correspond back to the Service Writer Posted Orders Report - neither is very efficient. I have tried exporting the reports to excel to manipulate them easier but the tables are skewed on the Invoice Profit Summary Report - which again - not efficient.

Finally, my question – is there a report that I am blatantly missing that will give me the numbers I am looking for? It seems like a very basic report – I want to calculate the percentage of costs of parts and costs of labor but I need to separate the parts only sales first and then I want to know the cost of the parts sales - any thoughts? We can't be the first shop with this problem & why re-invent the wheel, trust me - I have been trying!!!
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Separating Parts Sales

Post by fortknoxx »

hello and welcome to the forum. I would reccommend you to use the countersale function for your otc (over the counter) sales. This is what I do, and the reason I do it is the same as yours.

Anything sold over the counter is a counter sale. This will give only counter sale date range
Counter sale report. gives only counter sales
Counter sale report. gives only counter sales
c sale rpt.JPG (114.62 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
You can still get the service writers numbers on the service writer posted order report if you are paying commission. or have contests.
sw posted order. gives counter sale and shop tickets
sw posted order. gives counter sale and shop tickets
sw posted order.JPG (83.47 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
safari_ltd

Post by safari_ltd »

Tina- thanks so much! We don not use the counter sale option because we have commercial account part sales along with a fair amount of parts shipped out and several regular customers who purchase parts and the counter sales do not track that information individually. It is great for the one time purchase but not for the serial buyer (which we have many :D ) I am trying to work on refreshing my Access memory and build my own report with the export to excel but it has been extremely time consuming. Does any one know where I can find a list of all the Tables in Mitchell and their components? - that would save considerable time. Thanks again Tina!!!!
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

safari_ltd wrote: We don not use the counter sale option because we have commercial account part sales along with a fair amount of parts shipped out and several regular customers who purchase parts and the counter sales do not track that information individually.

why is it not great for the serial buyer? Just asking, might be able to shed some more light. Maybe I missed something. Sometimes you gotta type a little slower for me get it. lol
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
safari_ltd

Post by safari_ltd »

Tina-
I guess where the problem lies, for us, is in Special order parts sales. There is no way to attach a PO to a counter sale & the special order goes to an RO. I also made the mistake of listening to the guys saying the counter sale doesn't show up in the customer history but when i pointed out that a customer needed to be identified in the counter sale- we fixed that issue :shock: . I agree the counter sale may make the parts sales easily identified but it still lacks cost- which adds another report. My overall goal is to identify the cost of the parts used for my service sales for the week. thanks again!
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

You can create a PO for a Counter Sale if you are using electronic ordering. But it's true that a manual PO cannot be LINKED to a CS. You could always create a manual non-linked PO for a part and reference the CS number or customer name. Receive the item into inventory. When the CS is closed, the part(s) will deduct as needed. Short term workaround?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
safari_ltd

Post by safari_ltd »

thanks Ric- I will check that out and see if it will work for everyone!
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

No problem.

It really depends on how much volume you do in the Parts-only realm. A few here and there won't be too bad, but thousands could pose a problem. I think that access to a manually created PO should be available in CS's. That should get added to the Enhancement Request list.
603-622-6434 x203

fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

in loving memory of horseshack.....

ooh, oooh, oooh, oooh (tina is climbing out of her seat waving here hand wildly)

Stand by........

I'm working on something
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

can you give me a list of the info you are looking for, I tried a few things. Came up with a promising thing or 2. Just need to know what exactly you are looking for,
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
safari_ltd

Post by safari_ltd »

tina- i am looking for the following:
1. separating service sales from parts only sales
2. cost of parts for parts sales
3. cost of parts for service sales
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I'm a bit confused here. The way i read your last post leads me to believe you're purchasing the same part for parts counter sales and service sales for different prices.

I make hydraulic hoses and size pipes for sanders and such. I sell them by the foot plus connectors. my cost per foot is say a buck. I sell it for 2.50 through my service counter. A walk in may get it for 1.25 but my cost remains the same. Now if i was combining two companies through another for tax purposes like, Kiser parts llc sells a part to kiser auto for a buck for service in the shop but sells the same part to kiser auto for 1.25 for counter sales at least in my opinion, you can't do it that way unless your primary business is the parts supplier.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

I'm pretty sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish, and why.

You want to find a way to trac "parts" sales, and compare otc/shop sales. and cost. I'll work on a few ideas I may have as a work around. I liles a challenge.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
safari_ltd

Post by safari_ltd »

Steven- that is not the case here - i am just trying to separate the cost of goods sold over the service counter and cost of goods sold over the parts counter but thank you for your insight. I am still working on a custom export report into excel to see if i can get the numbers i need.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Do you use an accounting program? I'm thinking you could breakout those parts as different COGS in accounting.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Parts + Ordering”