Parts ordering

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
thubbard

Parts ordering

Post by thubbard »

How can you tell when parts have been ordered through parts ordering?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Parts ordering

Post by steven kiser »

Welcome to the forum. The way i tell is opening the parts ordering prompt in the order and if the box is empty then they've been ordered.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
MattFMN
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by MattFMN »

I was just going to ask this very same question!

Your answer is ridiculous. Not that I fee you are ridiculous to use it, just that that is the way you have to find out. Why can't we change the color of parts that have been ordered? Or add an asterisk, or any number of way to AT A GLANCE see that the parts have been ordered.

Hope this makes it up the chain. :)

We switched, recently, from AD Manage and so far I absolutely adore this system. Just some of these little nagging shortcomings are annoying.

Thanks!
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Matt, Welcome to the forum. This has been brought up in the past. Mitchell looks at these thing and does some triage. Most important things get done first. At one point or another we all have banged our heads on the desk because of this issue.

Second, and please don't take offense to this, negative comments don't do you much good. The comment was only meant to help. If some one jumps in to help and they get slapped, you may have a tough time getting help.

this forum is a GREAT tool, we use it daily and Mitchell monitors it closely. They do listen and i would bet 90% of things that they change are brought up here in the forums.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
MattFMN

Post by MattFMN »

I am not offended. I am saddened that my response was taken the way it looks to have been interpreted. His tip is, from what I've found, the way to go about "proving" that the part was ordered. It is RIDICULOUS that it is seemingly the only way to do this. He is not ridiculous. His suggestion/tip is not ridiculous. The fact that we have to use that process is what is ridiculous. He was in no way slapped or punished, at least not by me.
Rich

Post by Rich »

It is a pain, I also wish there was a much easier way. Then again, if I was smart enough to be a computer programmer and fix it I sure wouldn't be a service writer! :lol:

So here I am........Rich the Service Writer. (my brother got the brains, he's the programmer)

But in a nut shell, Steves way is the easiest way to do it.
Rich Hays
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your changeover.

Sounds like you are using Manager and not Manager Plus? Options, Purchase Orders always provides verification parts are ordered. Short of that the Parts Ordering window or some type of Order Status (Parts Ordered), or a note can be used for now.

We are working towards something in this regard, likely with the SE 6.5 release later this year. I cannot provide any further details at this time, but forum members will be the first to know. :wink:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
MattFMN

Post by MattFMN »

I look to have ShopKey ShopManagement SE. I have the PO tab as you describe. Again, this is too many steps as compared to a visual aid right on the Order. Text color, background color, an asterisk, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not a programmer. I don't want to pretend to sound like I'm knowledgeable in that field. We are spoiled by what is available for software, not even specifically shop management software. Just our cell phones and home PCs, etc. So, it is easy to become frustrated when a feature that is completely logical takes an extended amount of time to reach us.

Again, I'm new. But I recall reading in a release note that this version has "long desired" or "long requested" features. Long requested? In this day-and-age...not cool.

Thank you all for your help. I do hope to quickly learn and become proficient in SM's use and so become a contributor rather than a leech.

Thanks again!
Rich

Post by Rich »

This forum has no leaches........ :wink:
Rich Hays
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

It would be awesome if when I looked at the work in progress order the parts lines were a different color if ordered. The problems I see with that is I use three different parts suppliers along with dealers. Ordering and receiving are two totally different issues though. I guess since I still walk the shop floor and help out I don't want to spend all day cross checking and entering the parts delivered into the system to make sure they're received. When any parts are delivered the delivery person either is instructed to put them behind the vehicle they are for or on a shelf next to my desk. Partial orders are put into the vehicle they're for and locked if they're on the lot or street. A copy of the parts invoice is then stapled to my tech sheet so I know what we have and if It's possible to work on that vehicle while waiting for the rest of the parts to show up. Making sure the parts are ordered at least for me is just the tip of the iceberg.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Parts + Ordering”