Smart ecat

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
lmcca
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Smart ecat

Post by lmcca »

is there going to be the integration to smart ecat for parts lookup anytime soon? if not, how come?

for those that dont know what that is:
smart ecat is a parts lookup that polls all of your parts venders for the particular part your looking for and puts it on one screen. the benefits are you dont have to lookup, napa, carquest, oreilly etc one at a time like we do now. you would see part price and availability all at once from all the vendors.

anyone else like to see that come to mitchell?
KGA
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: Smart ecat

Post by KGA »

This would be a neat idea to see. :idea:
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

"Mitchell 1 works very closely with your parts vendors to deliver fast, functional and accurate catalog integrations. Our product roadmap does include querying multiple catalogs."
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
lmcca

Post by lmcca »

timbre4 wrote:"Mitchell 1 works very closely with your parts vendors to deliver fast, functional and accurate catalog integrations. Our product roadmap does include querying multiple catalogs."
it does? could you or tech support show us how to do this?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

lmcca wrote:
timbre4 wrote:"Mitchell 1 works very closely with your parts vendors to deliver fast, functional and accurate catalog integrations. Our product roadmap does include querying multiple catalogs."
it does? could you or tech support show us how to do this?
How to do what? This is a general open ended statement supplied by product management in reply to a question about 'multiple catalog view' being on the future roadmap.
Tim McDonnell -
lmcca

Post by lmcca »

ok, misread it.

do we know how long down that road it is?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

When we have a date we'll post it.
Tim McDonnell -
lmcca

Post by lmcca »

we are clear that when you have a date it will be posted.

i guess im wondering if its being worked on, discussed, in development etc. as this is a great addition and feature i cant see it being a secret that they would want to keep hidden. it would promote the product greatly.

the vagueness of your answers raises questions is all.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I went to product management and got an official response to post. That's all we have on the subject at this time, I will post something on the forum as soon as there is anything to add.
Tim McDonnell -
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Lmmca, I understand your wanting a date. Kinda like a customer calling and wanting to know when the spark plug job will be done on their KIA. But much tougher to predict.

Lets say:

you have to have the spark plugs custom made! You order the plugs from NAPA. They have to submit an order to NGK. NGK has to order the materials to make the plugs. Those materials have to come from Tim Buck Two. Now you call NAPA, who has to call NGK who has to figure out just who they got the materials coming from. Only to find out out that the materials have to be tested. Once the materials are made (which may take a week or two months! They have never made them before) and tested they are shipped to NGK. Who is now going to put their name on them. But first, they also need to test the product, they don't want to be releasing a product that does not work. NGK sets up a test in their Quality Control building and testing will begin soon. (Please note, if testing fails or needs adjusted it has to start over again) Once testing it done it has to go to packaging and then shipping. Finally it goes to NAPA world head quarters and then to the regional warehouse and then shipped to the store, then to you. If anywhere a long that line there is, shall we say, a "hick up: the tickle down theory begins. But to call your local store NAPA (or Tim in this case) and ask for an EXACT date would be impossible to answer.

I do not understand "how" to program a computer. I know there is Java script and C++ and many other things. I do understand it isn't an easy process and can take months to do a simple thing.

and to try and make ONE program that can get every parts program to shake hands and be friendly.... :shock: that thought makes my head spin, and I am a just a cubicle dweller. But it will be nice if it works out!
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.

Return to “Parts + Ordering”