Trouble Using 1Search

Questions and comments about using ProDemand or ShopKeyPro information modules
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Trouble Using 1Search

Post by ricmorin »

I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe vin KM8SC73E85U944561 that is a no start. Once I determined that there was no fuel I pulled the wiring diagram and checked the relay and power supply...all good. Figuring I just had a bad pump, I did a 1Search for 'Fuel Pump'. A link came up and I clicked on it. Then I clicked on Procedures. Hmmmm. NO procedure for pump replacement. Great. I wanted to get access so I can check powers and grounds. The wiring diagram eluded that the pump was under the LR seat. I tore it out and there was access. I found no power at the pump.

I checked the circuit and there was an open. On the diagram there was a device called Fuel Cut Sensor. Very possible I thought, so I did a 1Search for the same. Nothing. Nothing even came up for Fuel Cut ....anything. I went to the Component Locator and looked over all the sensors.....nothing. I thought maybe this vehicle was not equipped, so I started checking other components.

I checked everything I could and kept coming back to this sensor. In desperation, I GOOGLED 'fuel cut sensor santa fe' and found a picture labeled 'fuel cut solenoid' in less than 30 seconds. I tested and found the solenoid to be defective. Later I looked through the locator again and DID find the same diagram under 'SOLENOIDS'. Knowing this would have saved me a ton of time and needless teardown.

My questions are....

1. Why is there no fuel pump replacement procedure where I would expect to find it?
2. Why does ProDemand call this part a 'sensor' in the diagram when it is a 'solenoid' somewhere else?
3. Why does 1Search not find this item in the Component Locator?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Trouble Using 1Search

Post by timbre4 »

I have shared this upstairs; is the issue also submitted in Feedback?
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

LOL. I knew you would ask, and yes, I did.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Good, that means it definitely gets in front of the right squad sooner. I'll post anything I hear back.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Even though Mitchell is my main and covering all bases probably the best management / repair program I've ever had I discovered that everything has some flaws. This is exactly why I have I.A.T.N. , All Data, Direct Hit, and a Tech Net program that are all used to deal with these issues. Some programs don't mention that there are two brake packages offered for drum brakes on a I think it was a 2005 Caravan and the parts stores only offered one set up. The drums wouldn't fit, to small, and even the dealer by vin and they even called for the same size drum. I called Auto Zone and they offered two different drums and one set worked. No one else mentioned two options. Sometimes labor times and procedures are different or like in this case a wording issue caused the problem. There are times like this I'll go into the wiring diagrams, follow the flow and look for any interruptions and part naming. I find it a bit strange how many ways a relay can be named especially when you get deep into any European vehicles and the way Mercedes joins multiple relays in a main something or another. It's would be like sitting at a restaurant in Germany, ordering a fish plate and getting a meat plate because this is what it's called in Germany. Many times when working on German, Japanese, and on rare occasions Korean cars my techs and office help will hear me mumbling "and everyone thinks the wars are over" because I swear the cars are made to make techs in the states battle the vehicles like a grunt in the trenches. :roll:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
pfainc
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by pfainc »

Personally I find 1search a waste of time. Rarely do I find the answer I am looking for, whether it be an R&R procedure, or a code definition. I have far better luck with a keyword search in 'Vehicle reference' I realize 1Search is a work in process, but since it still seems to be in beta form, maybe you could give us experienced users the option of defaulting to vehicle reference or 1search in settings? Just adds one more click to my use of this product. Prodemand still needs a lot of tweaking before I fully invest in it.
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

My experience regarding codes has been different. I find the code search to be very direct. I usually get to where I need to be.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I am in the beginning stages of changing over to Pro Demand. For me that is allowing the sales team to talk to me without being blown off. I haven't as of yet set aside the time necessary to listen and push the go ahead button. I'm glad I never zero in on one aspect of a program but study the complete product and then make a decision. If I depended on the posts to make a decision I would probably go back to the Mitchell and Chilton books, hand writing orders and turning one of my offices back into the file room. There isn't a program made that will fit or suit my wants and needs so I have to be able to fit into one that is best for me. This doesn't mean I'm best for it but we can develop a working relationship. Will it work with my accountant? Will it work with my bookkeeper? Is payment and purchasing tracking simple enough for me to understand and track? Are transfers from part and labor rate look ups transferred correctly? Is the repair end of the system acceptable? My main requirements for a repair program are clear and detailed wiring diagrams, accurate labor guides, complete technical service bulletins and am directed to specific ones not a grouping. After that comes the code diagnostic flow with pop ups instructing me to do other things if certain other codes are involved. Although Mitchell is my primary labor, parts, and repair guide I use others as well and probably will to do so until I retire. When the shop is dealing with something new that we have never seen before we have a campfire meeting. The attendees are in no certain order, myself, tech working on it, other lead or both lead techs, IATN, Direct Hit, and Google search. I know this post really doesn't fit but sometimes when I read a post or postings and feel that the person is disgruntled with Mitchell beyond a reasonable point and by no means is this a post that fits this it's just that I decided to ramble on this page, I speak up. The first five years I switched from hand written to computer program operation systems I used three and was not happy at all. I only agreed to use Mitchell because my marketing program through my parts supplier would allow Mitchell to be used in the program and I got reimbursed 100% so you see it wasn't anything but money driven. This is another time I'm glad I was forced into doing something that I would have never done on my own. Mitchell has been the best I've used and ill adapt to the newer and better version when I finally decide to pull the trigger on it. Thanks for listening.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Using ProDemand”