Difference Between Labor times

Questions and comments about using ProDemand or ShopKeyPro information modules
gale
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Difference Between Labor times

Post by gale »

Happy New Year All,

I wasn't quite sure where to post my question, but here it is.

Why is there such a difference if some labor times in Mitchell verses All Data (sorry for swearing at you)
We have Both programs, I always use the Mitchell but have others that always like to double check in All-Data
prime example: we replaced the Right Side Temp Blend door on a 2011 GMC Acadia Denalli the Other Day,
Mitchell said is was 1.8 hrs and All-data said 8.8. It is a nasty job, definitely more then 1.8. Just wondering why?
I would think think they should be the same. this Is not the first time this has been brought to my attention

Gale
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: Difference Between Labor times

Post by brianp87 »

I looked in motor it shows .90 for the automatic system front right tempurature door actuator, Chilton says .90 and Mitchell says .90 as well. I do not have all data. I did not check the procedure. I did see we had done an 11 Acadia slt the same actuator I charged 2.50 with diag and do not have any notes or memory of it being difficult.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Looks like that got a cabin air as well. It was in 2005 that was the only 2011 Acadia pass side temp actuator I have in history.
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

There are 6 options for ATC and 5 options for manual in M1, the highest i see is 1.8.

6 Options in "those people" and they range from 1.4 to 8.8.

I'd do the apples to apples comparison, but any way you slice the banana, its a big difference. I have also done some double checking, i have seen this swing both ways, some days "those guys" are way off compared to M1 and the real world.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Ideally all labor operations would agree, however different editors can disagree on what it actually takes, carrying over last year's figures could be wrong. You need to pull the transmission with the motor - no you don't, here's a different way to perform that same repair. The list goes on.

I must share a short story about a heater core R&R comparison I researched about 20 years ago for Mitchell 1 sales reps. I built a comparison for about 50 models from the 1990s where we had significantly higher labor times. The "other guys" had many cars like GM sedans listed as .9 hrs to R&R the heater core when we showed 2.4 to 3.2 hrs., depending on the model. About 8 months later, I re-checked the "other guys" and was mildly shocked to find that they'd taken all of my Mitchell 1 labor times and just added .2 to each of them for their listings! I have no further comment on that. :wink:

In summary, you will always find differences, higher or lower times for a given task, when comparing labor guides.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
gale

Post by gale »

That has to do with it not being a perfect world lol
thanks for the info

Return to “Using ProDemand”