R/V Labor Times

Questions and comments about using ProDemand or ShopKeyPro information modules
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

R/V Labor Times

Post by Tim Martin »

I have been getting more calls for working on R/V class A vehicles. My question is, is there anywhere that I can get labor estimate times for these vehicles or is it simply a matter of time and labor? How would other shops charge for a right cylinder head R&R on a 95 Winnabago with a 7.5L engine?
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: R/V Labor Times

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Tim I have been getting more calls on these also. Had one fella tell me he was price shoppin against what the local RV shop was charging. I use a comparable model and add 20% to the time and run it at my heavy line rate. I explain to the callers that there is no cut and dry refrence for these and I have to base it lossely there as a starting point. The big sticker is most dont wanna pay for a heavy tow to the shop. :shock:
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I do the same here, use a comparable model and add time to it. I had a guy who came in for a water pump on a chevy engine one, I told him 4 hours to do it, and he threw a fit. Well he had me do it anyways and he came into check on it as I was hanging upside down by my toes, on a 95 degree day changing the water pump and asked what I was doing. I told him changing the w.p. and he asked "Don't you just pop the hood to change that?" This was his first class a that he owned, man was he in for alot of surprises, and he did appologize for getting excited with me and even gave me a tip!! Had another I did an engine in, qutoed him the engine price plus $2,000 labor and he said do it. When it was done he ran an add in the paper thanking me for the work on it!! Don't sell yourself short on these, they get to be fun when they have wiring issues.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

It does appear that many folks with these class A machines understand the high labor charges. My concern was that in giving an estimate that I am close to actual time with my hours. But so far it appears that I should use a similar vehicle and add perhaps as much as 20-25% time. I would also agree that I use a HD Truck per hour charge.
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

Just explain to the phone shoppers this is an estimate on the information they are giving you. Offer them a price quote (not free) if they can bring the vehicle in for examination.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i tell them x plus accessibility. i've worked on some that are a dream and some that take hours to get through all the added crapolla to get to where you need to be. i've had some, especially winnies that the engine cover was used as a base of operations for a major assault. stuff screwed to it in such a way i knew i would never get it back together. ever pull a bonnet and just watch in awe as miles of speaker, stereo, and all sorts of other things just drop into the bay.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto

The thing that cracks me up is ya own a $150000 motor coach and ya are poor mouthin an alternator or a tune up! GIMME A BREAK!!
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Recently I was at an R/V dealer close by here for a piece to a trailer and I noticed the sticker price on a new unit they had on the lot: $285,000.00. I looked at it and decided to keep my house. But working on that one????? I hope it ain't me.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i've seen a few that are a dream to work on while others are a bear. i don't mind power train issues but will shivver when it comes to hydraulic issues. try telling someone that the kitchen needs to be removed to replace a storage lift piston. i once went to a shop that worked on tour busses. it was amazing. he would purchase new york transit buses, completely gut them out and then do custom builds. all the modules, computers, etc were contained in slides that looked like toe panels under the cabinets. the lower cabinets were attached in a way to be easily removed for any repairs. then i've seen some that panels have to be removed from the exterior for interior repairs.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

ok, forget something here. complaining about a repair when they're driving 200k machines two things come to mind. #1 is they probably have the mobile home because the complain about all costs and the other is, most of the time if you convince them that they're getting a deal along with the fact that it really doesn't matter if you do it or not you'll get the job. i've had situations where it's been mid afternoon on a friday and the mobile home needed a repair that would take me into 9 or 10 pm. i've been willing to stay and do it. the person started to try to whittle me down in price and i just looked at him and said that that's what i want to do the repair. he said that his regular shop would do it for 100 bucks less. i told him to take it there. he told me to just go ahead and fix it. i told him i wasn't going to because i lost any comfortably i had and felt that because of his attitude he would never be happy and complain to all that would listen that i ripped him off and held him hostage. i had him move it out of my way and told him that i was going to go on line at midnight and see if it was still on my lot. if it was i was going to call interstate towing and have it removed. he was a bit upset. told him it was all because of his attitude.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

By the way, speaking of getting the job done on this winnie: the parts places say they cannot look up parts for these R/Vs. I need a head gasket for this vehicle and they are telling me that I need to go back to the dealer to get the right gasket set. Can't I use block casting numbers or something like that to get what I need from the aftermarket parts suppliers? Or do I need to ask for a parts counter person that knows which way the parade is going?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i've never had that problem. i always look at the manufacturers build code either on the air cleaner or door jamb. the vin should carry through from the original build through the modifications. there may be add on's and external modifications but it shouldn't effect the head gaskets. intake maybe but i really can't see a head gasket change.
Last edited by steven kiser on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Most RV's are built on a "conventional" chassis. I have one here now, 32 foot winne. Sets on a Chevy P30 chassis. Napa and Carquest have listings for them. As far as "coach" parts go that would take ya back to the original manufacturer or a web search. I do know a buddy of mine has a 38 Dolphin, sets on a Ford chassis. He wanted to put in a "hot" engine controller. He wound up gettin one of those "adjustable" boxes that goes inline with the pcm. Used specs for a F350 with the v-10. Worked out ok for him.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

I am working on this thing and need to find a supplier for a cylinder head. The local Ford dealer who is big in trucks says there is none in the Ford system and even in the dealers aftermarket supplier RMS, there is none for that year. So, is there other sources for a right cylinder head or do I do a repower with a 5.9L Cummins? I'd love to do that.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

You have my vote for the Cummins!!! That would be cool!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Tim Martin wrote:I am working on this thing and need to find a supplier for a cylinder head. The local Ford dealer who is big in trucks says there is none in the Ford system and even in the dealers aftermarket supplier RMS, there is none for that year. So, is there other sources for a right cylinder head or do I do a repower with a 5.9L Cummins? I'd love to do that.
Call Alabama Cylinder Head: 256-442-6773, they have an 800 number, but I do not know it as it local for me to call this number. Great people to deal with, high quality stuff.....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i load them in as sripped chassis. as a rule that works well for me when i jump to an order page. as far as ordering the head you may have to refer to casting numbers. i agree with alabama cylinder head. i haven't had the need to call them for a while but they could tell what kind of head i had by just asking a few questions. i think there is a application you can key up under google that will give you all the information and applications for that head. i haven't had the need for decades but at one time i used the hollander book as a bible. my local used parts supplier can and will cross out casting numbers. what's the application?

Return to “Using ProDemand”