1982 International S1724 Wiring

Questions about VIN, models, engines covered in the repair products
NPASC_mike
100 Club: Active Contributor

1982 International S1724 Wiring

Post by NPASC_mike »

I never thought this would be so hard to find, but man, this one has me stumped.

I am trying to locate a wiring schematic for a 1982 International S1724, particularly, the instrument cluster and ignition circuits. Also having a tough time even finding parts for this durn thing. Truck came in with a slew of wiring issues ( lights mainly), we found major issue in bulkhead connector and opted to install a painless wiring complete harness with new updated fuse box and the whole nine yards. for the most part the job has been a breeze. We are down to the ins cluster and wouldnt ya know... ( and i'm sure a few of you will have seen this) I cannot determine which black wire on the back of the cluster is for the lights, and which black wire is for the turn signals and which black wire is ground and which black wire is power.... hey looky that they are ALL black and my tech cut out the plug before recording the layout. He also cut out the wires to the distributor without marking them. :roll: .... anyway. I was hoping someone might still have one of these books kicking around or I'm not even sure if Mitchell goes back far enough to cover this. Would be nice to have, otherwise, going to be here all day testing circuits.

I've got my blindfold on, my tech has spun me around several times, so, can someone get me pointed in the right direction now?? :wink:

Thanks in advance if you can!
There is always enough time to do it right the first time.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: 1982 International S1724 Wiring

Post by timbre4 »

If you've got a valid Mitchell 1 repair product subscription I believe you can contact Product Support to see if they have this.

All black wires is such a Peogeot idea. :shock:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

timbre4 wrote:If you've got a valid Mitchell 1 repair product subscription I believe you can contact Product Support to see if they have this.

All black wires is such a Peogeot idea. :shock:

I started reading through here again after I typed this. and thought maybe the same thing. We are getting more and more med/ heavy duty truck work here. just not quite enough to warrant buying the subscription. NO one has a manual out here for this particular truck. ugh.. I will try that on Monday, Thanks!
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

If you have OD5 but not the TT or MT, we usually give a few freebies each year. :mrgreen:
Tim McDonnell -
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

There are times when charging for information is fitting. Some of my customers have unique vehicles or pieces of equipment that call for special tools. Some i can get away without while others i can't. The ones i need to purchase get billed out to the customer. It may not be all at once but you can bet that within a few visits they've paid for it. There are sights out there that will sell you blocks of information. If i needed a harness diagram for this truck i would just add the cost to the order. I needed a wiring diagram to a guard rail installer. I had no problem contacting the manufacturer and purchasing it. I down loaded it, printed it out, added 10% to it and added it to the order. I gave the owner the option of holding on to it or leaving it with me. He chose to take it. It was a complete service guide with exploded views. Later in the year i needed it again and he couldn't find it. I just purchased it again (opened the saved file) and printed it out again. Yes i charged him for it and this time he let me hang on to it. Some times i actually win one.....................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

steven kiser wrote:There are times when charging for information is fitting. Some of my customers have unique vehicles or pieces of equipment that call for special tools. Some i can get away without while others i can't. The ones i need to purchase get billed out to the customer. It may not be all at once but you can bet that within a few visits they've paid for it. There are sights out there that will sell you blocks of information. If i needed a harness diagram for this truck i would just add the cost to the order. I needed a wiring diagram to a guard rail installer. I had no problem contacting the manufacturer and purchasing it. I down loaded it, printed it out, added 10% to it and added it to the order. I gave the owner the option of holding on to it or leaving it with me. He chose to take it. It was a complete service guide with exploded views. Later in the year i needed it again and he couldn't find it. I just purchased it again (opened the saved file) and printed it out again. Yes i charged him for it and this time he let me hang on to it. Some times i actually win one.....................

Right now, I would PAY for an actual service manual for this truck. lol My guy spent a few hours with it this afternoon and I think he said he's got most of it figured out. Its a real pain chasing this circuit board. Same customer has two identical trucks and no manuals. I had a guy one time wanted me to put timing chain or something in an Audi. One of the bosses friends at a place I worked. I quoted out the job, then added $800.00 to it, when the boss asked "Why so high?" I simply replied, thats to cover the $800.00 cam and crank holding tool that we will NEVER use again.

I charge an "Information Access Fee" anytime I have to purchase a subscription to any manufacturers website for flash files, or just service info. The fee is variable depending on how many customers I am accessing info for.

Let me pose a question just in case I don't end up calling support.. Does the Mitchell Med/Heavy truck subscription have the info I am looking for? One of the problems I have with the automobile version, is the older vehicle information just is not available. There are a ton of 80's era vehicles still running around out here, but mostly 90's to early 2000's. Same goes with the heavy trucks. One you get a vehicle out here, you run it, break it, and fix it then run it some more until it literally falls apart and cannot be fixed anymore. Also a big kicker for me would be BlueBird school bus coverage as we also maintain the cities 4 School buses. ( i'm probably dreaming on that one, I know..lol)... Happy Monday!
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

I just checked and my subscription to Medium Truck by Mitchell1 only goes back to 1990.I had hoped I could grab a wiring diagram and make it available for you but not.

Do you have a good Navistar Dealer close by you could get a service manual from? (just an idea)
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

Just made a call to a dealer in Anchorage and the service guy is looking to see if there is any old paper manuals in the "archives" lol
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I don't see where you actually called us. The truck info goes back to 1990, while the library goes back to 1916. :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
NPASC_mike

Post by NPASC_mike »

Tim, I have not called Mitchell yet, I was saving that as a last resort. I'm waiting for a fax from the dealer right now I think he found what I needed.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Awesome, good luck.
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Model Coverage”