Carfax phone calls

Mobile Manager Pro (tablets)
motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Carfax phone calls

Post by motley06 »

We had a car come in that we couldn't decode the license plate with. Mobile manager prompted a message to turn on carfax and try again. I did and it worked. I remembered hearing carfax likes to collect a lot of information about the vehicles and repairs that come through the shop, so I immediately deactivated it. Ever since then, some prick has been calling my shop every day to turn the feature back on. Only reason I can think he wants me to turn it back on is so they can keep harvesting more of my customer's information. This is not cool and pretty freaking annoying actually when I'm busy working with customers to have to deal with this a-hole calling every day.
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Re: Carfax phone calls

Post by Rich »

Our issue with Carfax was they were VERY happy to gather any info for free. But just try to get say 2 reports for free a month from them. Good luck. Next time the dude calls just open this, I have it bookmarked in my system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

I refuse to give carfax any of my info. Another issue that could happen if they are getting your info is lets say you write the millage down wrong. Now when the customer goes to trade the car in and it's carfaxed at the dealer it shows a possible mileage rollback. When the customer finds out you caused it they are not very happy.

And it all started by you giving them free info that they make money from.
motley06

Post by motley06 »

Glad I'm not the only one getting these calls. Next time they call, I'm grabbing the number and putting it on the block list
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

We are working with Bolt-On about this and getting you on the Do Not Call list.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

This was happening here too, fortunately, they stopped calling us, but something tells me they'll start up again, at some point.
John C.
GFORCEAUTO
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by GFORCEAUTO »

My question is how are they getting our customer vehicle and mileage information if we aren't reporting to them? I had a customer come in and complain about his mileage getting reported to them and his insurance company pulled that information. Is there a way to turn it off completely? I haven't opted in on my tablets and did receive a call from Carfax. Is Manager reporting information to them or is it Bolt on Tech?
Matthew J. Clawson
Owner/ASE Master
G Force Automotive
Michigan
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

The Manager program is not connected with CarFax.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

GFORCEAUTO wrote:My question is how are they getting our customer vehicle and mileage information if we aren't reporting to them? I had a customer come in and complain about his mileage getting reported to them and his insurance company pulled that information. Is there a way to turn it off completely? I haven't opted in on my tablets and did receive a call from Carfax. Is Manager reporting information to them or is it Bolt on Tech?
Matt - That would be Bolt-On linkage to CarFAX as Manager SE doesn't connect to them.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Auto Repair Coach
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by Auto Repair Coach »

Folks,
Shops using our Mobile Manager Pro Software can opt in to have the "tag" decoded by CarFax. The setting is left open for you to choose if you wish to use it or not.
Once you do opt in agreeing to the terms listed, your company information is sent to car fax when you decode through CarFax. So if you Opt out in hindsite, they still have your info.

As for mileage issues. If you note a wrong mileage has been entered, you can contact CarFax to have it fixed.

Please Note: That vehicle mileage is also available through State DMVs due to vehicle registration. This is another source for insurance companies and such to get the mileage information. (In this case, customer's may be entering the wrong mileage.)

Hope this helps
John Burkhauser
Director of Educational Programs

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
http://boltontechnology.com/
rhillig

Post by rhillig »

Auto Repair Coach wrote:Folks,
Shops using our Mobile Manager Pro Software can opt in to have the "tag" decoded by CarFax. The setting is left open for you to choose if you wish to use it or not.
Once you do opt in agreeing to the terms listed, your company information is sent to car fax when you decode through CarFax. So if you Opt out in hindsite, they still have your info.

As for mileage issues. If you note a wrong mileage has been entered, you can contact CarFax to have it fixed.

Please Note: That vehicle mileage is also available through State DMVs due to vehicle registration. This is another source for insurance companies and such to get the mileage information. (In this case, customer's may be entering the wrong mileage.)

Hope this helps
So to be clear - we can opt out of sharing any information with CarFax thru Bolt On? We have recently signed up, but I have yet to install the software, but if it reports our information to CarFax, I'm not installing.
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
Auto Repair Coach

Yes. You opt out by never opting in. We deliver this option toggled off. If you turn it on, you are presented with a disclaimer informing you of what you are opting into which informs you of their intentions.

Good Luck
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
GFORCEAUTO
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by GFORCEAUTO »

John,
You said " The setting is left open for you to choose if you wish to use it or not.
Once you do opt in agreeing to the terms listed, your company information is sent to car fax when you decode through CarFax. So if you Opt out in hindsite, they still have your info."
But, I called your tech support and he told me it wasn't an option until a recent update of Mobil Manager so we never had an opportunity to "Opt in or out" we were never told you had a relationship with Carfax in the first place!
We never Opted in and I would rather not give that information to Carfax. Now this leaves us open to more possible customer issues related to privacy as it concerns their cars records. Now we get telemarketing calls as well.
You also said " As for mileage issues. If you note a wrong mileage has been entered, you can contact CarFax to have it fixed."
Okay How? I've looked all over on their website and can't find a 800# to call and get mileage issues resolved.
So since it's to late to not give Carfax our information since we didn't have a choice. All 3 of our tablets say Opt in none say opt out. Is it still reporting since it wasn't an option when we signed up?
Matthew J. Clawson
Owner/ASE Master
G Force Automotive
Michigan
Auto Repair Coach

Mr. Clawson,
Thanks for your questions. Let me address them as best as I can.

Our licensing agreement before the Opt in for CarFax button appeared did inform customers that their information would be shared with CarFax.

As of April of this year we updated the software to allow shops to Opt into CarFax, it was no longer automatic.

When the April update was released-We contacted CarFax and asked that all previous shop information be removed from their data base. From this point on your info would only got to CarFax when you opted in. (CarFax became aggressive in reaching out to the initial shops via phone and we have since had a discussion with them to STOP this action.)

To apply for corrections in CarFax information you need to go to this page to enter the information for the changes. There is no phone number.

https://support.carfax.com/

I hope this helps.
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »