Best Tablet?

Mobile Manager Pro (tablets)
ambertsi
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Best Tablet?

Post by ambertsi »

When we started using Mobile Manager, we bought some cheap tablets that were within the specs needed to run the program. We also didn't know how rough the guys were going to be with them so, we didn't want to spend too much. Now that we're seeing the use they're getting (and could get it the program didn't crash so often) we're looking to upgrade to better tablets for more stability.

What are some tablets that everyone has been recently using that are reliable?
Did you go with an option that has a keyboard or do you rely on the on-screen keyboard or voice to type function?
Are your mechanics using the tablets in the shop or just your Service Writers?

We currently have:
Insignia - 11.6" - Tablet - 32GB - With Keyboard - Black Model: NS-P11A8100. It has a keyboard and we were able to build a stand that the tablet sits on so it can stay plugged in and the mechanics just type on it from the workstation. We'd like to get into more computerized functions such as a fully paperless inspection and such so, they're going to have to start utilizing them more as tablets and less as mini-computers. These tablets have not been reliable and Mobile Manager crashes all the time while using them.

Any direction or input for better tablets or insight into how you've integrated the tablet use into daily activities would be much appreciated! I searched but I haven't found anything recent that was relevant to this particular topic.
Amber McKinley
Manager
Diesel Maintenance, Repair & Performance
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Best Tablet?

Post by ricmorin »

We are completely paperless from start to finish and use the tablets in the shop and the office.

We are using Samsung Galaxy Tabs for tablets; 8 inch in the shop and 10 in the office. They have done very well and the oldest is over 2 years and we just put a battery in it, but otherwise going strong. All have some sort of rugged case. We don't use any keyboard, just the on screen one or dictation. We created a mesh wifi network that allows the tablets to roam around our 3 acre property, seamlessly handing off from one access point to another. WE HAVE NO CRASHING PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Service advisor uses it for a variety of tasks, but most importantly to capture an incoming signature. Techs use it to punch in and out of jobs, update status and check off jobs that have been completed. They also gain access to service information and we have a bluetooth scanner on each for quick code checking.

HTH.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ambertsi
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by ambertsi »

ricmorin wrote:We are completely paperless from start to finish and use the tablets in the shop and the office.

We are using Samsung Galaxy Tabs for tablets; 8 inch in the shop and 10 in the office. They have done very well and the oldest is over 2 years and we just put a battery in it, but otherwise going strong. All have some sort of rugged case. We don't use any keyboard, just the on screen one or dictation. We created a mesh wifi network that allows the tablets to roam around our 3 acre property, seamlessly handing off from one access point to another. WE HAVE NO CRASHING PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Service advisor uses it for a variety of tasks, but most importantly to capture an incoming signature. Techs use it to punch in and out of jobs, update status and check off jobs that have been completed. They also gain access to service information and we have a bluetooth scanner on each for quick code checking.

HTH.
I'm thinking the crashing problem is because of the actual tablets we have. Like I said, they were very cheap and we didn't know how much we'd actually use the program so we didn't want to invest too much in tablets if that approach wasn't going to work for us. We have plenty of wireless access points and our WiFi signals are strong throughout the whole building and in the parking lots as well, which again, is why I'm saying it's probably the cheaper tablet causing the issue.

Samsung Galaxy tablets were recommended to us by our Mitchell sales rep so, we've already looked at them but there are a ton of options so, I was just wondering if anyone had feedback on any specific models that they preferred or would stay away from. The fact that your oldest has reached 2 years and is still working fine answers that question pretty much. This was very helpful, thanks for the insight!

Do you have a tablet per tech or do you just have a few on docking stations for techs to use as needed? By bluetooth scanner, are you referring to an automotive code scanner that you have directly on the tablet or a scanner that allows you to scan items and search based on the scan/image capture?
Amber McKinley
Manager
Diesel Maintenance, Repair & Performance
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Do you have a tablet per tech or do you just have a few on docking stations for techs to use as needed?
Everyone has their own tablet, plus I have one spare fully loaded in case one goes down = insurance policy. In fact I'm running the spare today because mine didn't get charged last night.
By bluetooth scanner, are you referring to an automotive code scanner that you have directly on the tablet
Exactly. See http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/ This is designed to work with Mobile Manager in that you can create a compete obd report and copy a link to that report directly on your work order. Very handy.
or a scanner that allows you to scan items and search based on the scan/image capture
Mobile Manager can scan barcodes within the application and add parts to your order. No outside add-ons needed.

Feel free to give me a call anytime and I'd be glad to share more with you.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Mobile Manager”