Justify Tablets In The Shop

Mobile Manager Pro (tablets)
ShopManTim
100 Club: Active Contributor

Justify Tablets In The Shop

Post by ShopManTim »

Currently, we are using the Mitchell Shop Management System which is working extremely well. We also use integrator to move data into Quickbooks for accounting. We are exploring the option of adding tablets in the shop. My questions are:

How much increase in billable hours can we expect if we add tablets to our system?

Other than being nice to be able to easily add to work orders, order parts, and view service information, can the cost be justified?

How do you deal with the tech wanting to do personal things on the tablet he uses?
Enjoying Life as Our Maker Designed - Wrenching to pay the bills
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Justify Tablets In The Shop

Post by ricmorin »

How much increase in billable hours can we expect if we add tablets to our system?
It depends. How efficient are you now? Which tablet are you looking at, Prospect or Mobile Manager? Where are the bottlenecks in your workflow? Are you going to use MPI's? Are you using paper inspections now?

Foe me, we had a very efficient workflow and we had no problems closing upsells. The tablets added an extra layer of transparency. Plus tracking of job punches. It made us paperless. We were already doing inspections. With canned responses, communication was bettered.
Other than being nice to be able to easily add to work orders, order parts, and view service information, can the cost be justified?
That depends on what features you utilize and need. I say yes.
How do you deal with the tech wanting to do personal things on the tablet he uses?
Non-issue. That's a training/discipline thing that can apply to any tool in the shop.

I test-drove a tablet myself before bringing them in for all. Perhaps you could do the same? I'm sure they'll give you a trial.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Auto Repair Coach
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by Auto Repair Coach »

What he said.
John Burkhauser
Director of Educational Programs

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
http://boltontechnology.com/
ShopManTim

Post by ShopManTim »

Our shop's priority is in maintenance and repairs to several dozen trucks, trailers, and various pieces of mowing & landscaping equipment. We also do the same for a fleet of fuel and propane delivery trucks. Only in more recent years has service to the public been a part of the shop. So, we are trying to streamline the managing aspect of things here and make it as profitable as its possible to get with the dynamics that we work with.
Auto Repair Coach

Post by Auto Repair Coach »

Being able to monitor shop flow and adjust it on the run can always improve the bottom line.
Digital inspections not only show your customers exactly what and why you are recommending service and repairs, they also document conditions and help customers prepare for future work as it comes due.
John Burkhauser
Director of Educational Programs

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
http://boltontechnology.com/
ShopManTim

Post by ShopManTim »

In the interest of convincing the owners that the shop should transition to using tablets for the techs, what would be a ballpark figure of the cost of having tablets up and running? We have 2 fulltime techs here and 1 part time fellow.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

That depends. Are you wanting the basic ProSpect program or the high end Mobile Manager program? Two different animals. We use Samsung tablets at around 150 each.
603-622-6434 x203

ShopManTim

Post by ShopManTim »

Well, I have the 2 tablets, Samsungs, that I used in my former shop that I closed a little over a year ago so Im thinking that the only cost may be the program to connect my tablets with the Mitchell Shop Manager program and my 2 tablets. Im thinking that we are looking @ what was described as the higher end program. Even though I had it in my shop, my secretary took care of paying bills so I have no idea what the cost was. That sounds strange, I know but we had a good system going that I could trust.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Nice. I'm paying 199 for ProPack, which includes Mobile Manager, Report Pro and Message Manager. I'm fairly sure you can get those separately too. Check with your rep or call into sales.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Mobile Manager”