Quick Message Incorrect Phone Number

Text messaging
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Quick Message Incorrect Phone Number

Post by GUTHTIRE »

When using Message Manager Pro the phone number appears to default to the first cell # in the Telephone List. Can this be changed to the "checked" phone # in the list? If that's not possible, can the Quick Message -> Change Phone Number list display the phone # and the associated name...it currently only displays the phone number.
Dan
Auto Repair Coach

Re: Quick Message Incorrect Phone Number

Post by Auto Repair Coach »

You can tell Message Manager which phone number to look at first.
Go To -> Settings -> Shop Management and choose your primary and secondary phone numbers.

Be aware that this will change how Message Manager looks at ALL phone numbers.

If you need to fix it on one or two customers. Go To -> Mitchell ->Work order or estimate-> Customer -> Telephone list -> Put right number in the cell that you told Message Manager to look at in the last settings.

Hope this helps.
John Burkhauser
Director of Educational Programs

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
http://boltontechnology.com/
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Auto Repair Coach wrote:You can tell Message Manager which phone number to look at first.
Go To -> Settings -> Shop Management and choose your primary and secondary phone numbers.

Be aware that this will change how Message Manager looks at ALL phone numbers.

If you need to fix it on one or two customers. Go To -> Mitchell ->Work order or estimate-> Customer -> Telephone list -> Put right number in the cell that you told Message Manager to look at in the last settings.

Hope this helps.
Let me restate the issue differently. If you are in Message Mgr there's no way to tell who you are texting. It does show the phone numbers but who are they? Would be better if it showed:
###-###-#### - Dan
###-###-#### - Mary
Dan
Auto Repair Coach

OK

Go to the Customer page in an estimate or RO. Put their name in the Ext box next to the cellular number.

It will come through on the drop down menu from the quick message screen. Select the one you wish to use.
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Auto Repair Coach wrote:OK

Go to the Customer page in an estimate or RO. Put their name in the Ext box next to the cellular number.

It will come through on the drop down menu from the quick message screen. Select the one you wish to use.
I don't see that as an option. The Ext. field is for a phone extension. Mitchell enhanced the Telephone List for just this purpose. In essence, we would be going backwards to accommodate Message Manager!!!.
Dan
Auto Repair Coach

OOOffffff!

Man you are tough! Sorry that solution doesn't work for you. If and when we update to include the Notes/name field in Message Manager, that might work better for you.
The extension field works well because, as a far as I know, we cannot text to extensions so it will be left blank when applied to a text number.

Again, I apologize for out solution not working as you wish.
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Auto Repair Coach wrote:OOOffffff!

Man you are tough! Sorry that solution doesn't work for you. If and when we update to include the Notes/name field in Message Manager, that might work better for you.
The extension field works well because, as a far as I know, we cannot text to extensions so it will be left blank when applied to a text number.

I'm not trying to be difficult. It's just that we were using the Ext. for first names and Mitchell enhanced the Telephone List to include a field for first names. We've been going thru a manual "migration" of correcting things and entering the name in the appropriate field and now we're asked to use the Ext. field for the first name. In my mind, unacceptable. Maybe I'm alone on this...does anyone else see this work-around as an issue? Somebody please help me out here!
Dan
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Agreed. i'd love to move beyond the old extension field workaround now that M1 has. Up until lately it seemed that Bolt-On were nearly lock-step with Manager in regards to features. Based on past observation I'd expect this feature to already be in place.

I've been watching Bolt-On for many years now. It always amazed me how quick and nimble a company there were. I saw user suggestions implemented in what seemed weeks. Perhaps they have grown beyond their nimbleness as the replies I've received lately are, "All I ask is please understand that some of these changes will be made, in their own time, other may not" and "I'll put it in the suggestion box as I have your other requests and wait for programming to see what they can do." and "I will put it in to development to see what they can do." This doesn't sound like the nimble company I admired. They are a great company IMO. Maybe they are having growing pains.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Auto Repair Coach

Gentlemen,
I came on board Bolt On when I saw what it can do for a shop's productivity by eliminating many steps that need to be done daily by doing them automatically.
With over 6,000 installed shops and growing, I am impressed by the "nimbleness" of the company. When we get suggestions that are great ideas, they are put into a request system in house for consideration and development. These ideas are considered on many levels such as how it can be implemented, is it a rewrite or just an addition to the software, what is the overall benefit to all customers?

The other limiting factor is the development of new applications and greater features, that will benefit every shop, which are currently in process and being focused on. It is my expectation that before the year is over, there will be some major improvements made and released.

I still impressed that when we get suggestions on how to improve the software that we deliver on many of them. Out of the many shops we support, the suggestions we get may have less than five shops requesting that feature that we deliver. We add features and update sometimes weekly unlike other brands that may only give an upgrade once a year.

Being a technician, without an OEM specialized tool or procedure, I would make my own tool or procedure to get the job done, because that is what needs to be done.

Bottom line, we hear you. We do what we can and do a pretty good job at it.
Keep sending your suggestions and ideas and watch out for what is coming. It is all good.

Thanks
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

John I for one and I am sure many others do appreciate all you do for us. The speed at which Bolt-On addresses our concerns and the upgrades has been fantastic so keep up the good work.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Auto Repair Coach wrote:OOOffffff!

You mentioned "if and when". For my records, does mean you are considering making the change so we don't have to either maintain first names in the Ext. field and in Telephone List or click away from the application that we're trying to use to manually lookup a cell phone number that we would like to send text to?

Note: In the effort to be concise in entering a "problem" it may seem abrupt or short. Not the case here. Your support is appreciated!
Dan
Auto Repair Coach

I looked through the Development ideas list and have seen no requests similar to yours. So I entered it as an item to see if it can be made to happen. Now we wait.

If anyone else on the forum likes this idea, please indicate that as part of this thread and I will ad votes to the idea moving it up the ladder for development.

Thanks again.
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
Pauls Automotive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I think it is a good idea myself.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I guess in a case like this, I don't understand why you would need 'votes' to add this as an enhancement. M1 already made the improvement based on user input. We didn't want to use that stupid little extension field anymore. They heard us. You offer some awesome companion software and I think the average user expects it to grow as the host grows and develops. It would be a shame if few people saw this thread and because there weren't enough votes that this was bypassed. I for one see this as a natural evolution of Message Manager, don't you?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Auto Repair Coach

Thanks again!
Input recognized and added to the update list with more requests. Keep em coming, this is how it is done. Any more request out there to add? Let's push it through!
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I use Bolt On..have not yet took on mobile manager. BUT..in my mind it should "mirror" Mitchell. As Ric said Mitchell made an adjustment based on user input. I would expect Mobile to follow that. And I am looking to possibly add Mobile at the first of the year.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Auto Repair Coach

Thanks. Another vote to add the Name / Notes field.

Anyone else?
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Well, just texted the wife instead of the husband...embarrassing.

Any word if this one has been accepted and if so any ETA?
Dan
Auto Repair Coach

No word yet. I will keep checking.
John Burkhauser

BOLT ON TECHNOLOGY

610-400-1019