Appointment Status Color Codes?

Discussions of SE Scheduler/ Appointment Editor
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Appointment Status Color Codes?

Post by ricmorin »

Here is an idea for better visual representation of the schedule.

Most shops have 2 types of appointments: waiting and drop-off. The scheduler should distinguish between these two VISUALLY. The waiting appointments hold their place, blocking out the appropriate hours starting at the correct time. The drop off appointments automatically fill in the blank spaces, starting at the beginning of the workday and flowing around the static waiting appointments. If this could be accomplished, the schedule would perfectly match the way shops do business. When you run out of spaces, you're out of available time. If a new appointment doesn't fit, you need to move it to another day.

BTW, I've been doing this very thing every day for the last 20 years. Every day I represent my work day on a white board to track all active jobs throughout the steps of repair per technician. The first block for each technician is a representation of an 8 hour work day. I first put all the waiting appointments in their respective slots, then add all the drop-off scheduled work around the waiters. Finally, I add any leftover work to the mix. THIS WORKS FLAWLESSLY. I know exactly how my day is loaded. I know exactly if I can take in any more work. I know exactly if I have to call someone to reschedule.

Looking at the schedule, it appears that with some tweaking it might become the best thing to our industry since the ratcheting wrench. :mrgreen:

Thank you for your consideration.

Ric
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
murraymotive
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: Appointment Status Color Codes?

Post by murraymotive »

ricmorin wrote:Here is an idea for better visual representation of the schedule.
Most shops have 2 types of appointments: waiting and drop-off. The scheduler should distinguish between these two VISUALLY. The waiting appointments hold their place, blocking out the appropriate hours starting at the correct time. The drop off appointments automatically fill in the blank spaces, starting at the beginning of the workday and flowing around the static waiting appointments. If this could be accomplished, the schedule would perfectly match the way shops do business. When you run out of spaces, you're out of available time. If a new appointment doesn't fit, you need to move it to another day.
This ^^

Also, there is no representation of the appointment status that I can find anywhere. We have a multitude of statuses to use but cannot see them anywhere without actually opening the appointment window.

1) Can you color code or label appointments at all? This has an Outlook / Google Calendar feel but I can't find a way to actually organize these except by time.

2) Do RO statuses and scheduler statuses interact at all?

3) When techs are assigned to ROs can the schedule be updated to reflect this, and vice versa when you move the appt to a tech's time slot can they be chosen as the default tech for that RO?
miteygirl

Post by miteygirl »

Is there a way to color code on the new schedule? Previously we prefaced each apt with "WAITER", "LOANER VEHICLE", "SHUTTLE" or "DROP OFF", and at a glance could see how many loaners we needed, how many waiters we had scheduled, etc. If we had the ability to color code each that would certainly help. Also, we can't tell when people actually show up and check in anymore. Does anybody have any suggestions on how we might be able to make that work in the existing parameters?
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

All,

I'll be discussing color-coding appointments with our development team and product management this week. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a solution that will work for most of you.
M1 Product Manager
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by GUTHTIRE »

I notice that appointments on the schedule are flagged as closed in the Appointment State however you have to open the entry to see it. Would it be possible to grey out the appointment or hash mark the appointment on the schedule when the appointment is closed. This would avoid having to open it to see the state of "closed".
Dan
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:I notice that appointments on the schedule are flagged as closed in the Appointment State however you have to open the entry to see it. Would it be possible to grey out the appointment or hash mark the appointment on the schedule when the appointment is closed. This would avoid having to open it to see the state of "closed".
The next version will include color coding of the appointment state making visually easy to see what is closed.
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
nessauto

Post by nessauto »

We've started setting up the scheduler. One question I have is there a way to highlight the job in the schedule based on it's status. For instance....right now we use a paper schedule.... when a car is dropped off we highlight is so everyone knows that it's here. It would be nice to be able to color code the status like you can the resources. So at a quick glance you could see what is dropped off, done, in the bays.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

nessauto wrote:We've started setting up the scheduler. One question I have is there a way to highlight the job in the schedule based on it's status. For instance....right now we use a paper schedule.... when a car is dropped off we highlight is so everyone knows that it's here. It would be nice to be able to color code the status like you can the resources. So at a quick glance you could see what is dropped off, done, in the bays.
They are working on color coding the statuses for a future release.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
nessauto

Post by nessauto »

Any idea when that realease may be out?

Also do we need to ask for the new releases or are they automatically sent out?
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

You'll see notice on here when the next version is ready. It would come automatically, but chances are if you're waiting on a feature you'll just want to grab it before then.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “Scheduler”