Manager SE 7.1.7 Release Feedback

Discussions of SE Scheduler/ Appointment Editor
carrieswanlund

Re: Manager SE 7.1.7 Release Feedback

Post by carrieswanlund »

Silky7 wrote:Carrie,

If you are running 7.1.7 now, you can turn off the Auto Adjust Appointment Time globally. Simply go to the Configurations menu > Scheduler Setup > Scheduler Options. You'll see the option to stop automatic growth.

As for your second question, simply changing the start time will not automatically adjust the end time for a number of reasons. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
Thank you for answering the second questions.
For the first question, I thought an auto adjust of the end time would auto adjust the end time of a moved appointment. Thank you again for clarifying that it does not.
BERGMANS1
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by BERGMANS1 »

My spell checker is ignoring misspelled words in upper case. Is this a setting I can change? I can't find it...
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

BERGMANS1 wrote:My spell checker is ignoring misspelled words in upper case. Is this a setting I can change? I can't find it...
It is not a setting. We have modified the spellchecker since the release of 7.1.7 to include upper case words. This isn't standard for a spell checker, but a high number of users appear to be typing in all caps, so we made the change. It will be in the next release.
M1 Product Manager
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Any idea when that will release will happen? We have to completely change what we do here until then or deal with no spell check.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

It may be available for download as soon as mid-April if you want to get it ASAP. Otherwise we'll begin the process of sending updates normally of the course of the following weeks.
M1 Product Manager
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

The appointment tab revision is awesome.

The spell check thing is what makes me never want to update. It seems like every time we update, something gets broken. The spell check before worked fine for me, it got "fixed" but now does not work because I am required to type in all caps.

I understand that this issue is getting corrected, but it is ALWAYS something. For the next month we have to type in lower case, deal with poorly spelled words or hire a 3rd grade teacher to proof read all of our stuff. We type a ton here. To think we will be manually proof reading for the next month or more makes me want to throw up.

I get it.... these things happen. Please feel my pain when I say that I have been using shopkey since 2008. I have hit F2 probably 3 million times since I started working here. I will still hit it out of habit and it will say no spelling errors found because it overlooks the caps.

Also, small changes make a huge difference. Like, the odometer box got moved from center of the page to the right side. I have been looking in the center of the page for mileage for 9 years. Now its moved to the right. Why? To enter some other data fields that weren't even there before and that I don't use. Pilots get good at flying a certain aircraft after so many hours because they can find every control with their eyes closed. Start moving their stuff around and see what happens.

Maybe try making your programmers switch back and forth between PC and Mac every other month and see how they like it.

But again, the appointment tab is awesome. Starting to look a lot like the old schedule but with more data.

Also, where before you could click on the manf date and type in the date straight across now you have to enter a field, then hit the right arrow, enter a field then hit the right arrow. Come on guys you are killing me.

And... the remarks field on the customer screen used to default to the start of the data instead of the end of the data. So on all customers we typed in the important data first so we could see it without opening the box. Now, it shows the end of what we typed in which was lowest priority.
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

BERGMANS1 wrote:The appointment tab revision is awesome.

The spell check thing is what makes me never want to update. It seems like every time we update, something gets broken. The spell check before worked fine for me, it got "fixed" but now does not work because I am required to type in all caps.

I understand that this issue is getting corrected, but it is ALWAYS something. For the next month we have to type in lower case, deal with poorly spelled words or hire a 3rd grade teacher to proof read all of our stuff. We type a ton here. To think we will be manually proof reading for the next month or more makes me want to throw up...

I get it.... these things happen. Please feel my pain when I say that I have been using shopkey since 2008. I have hit F2 probably 3 million times since I started working here. I will still hit it out of habit and it will say no spelling errors found because it overlooks the caps...
I know this isn't the fix you are looking for, but for now, you can do this for spell check, providing you have Word (I tried it, it works):

"Highlight all the text you want to change. Hold down the Shift key and press F3. Each time you press the F3 key while holding down the Shift, the text switches from proper case (first-letter uppercase and the rest lowercased), to all uppercase (all capital letters), and then all lowercase."

And for the record, just getting a third grade teacher to proof read won't necessarily help, I have a Master's degree in elementary education, and I STILL can't spell to save my life. :mrgreen:
John C.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Just a little history on this might help as well. The old component was technologically speaking; ancient. It was actually causing application crashes for a number of users (OC30.dll errors) and had to be replaced. Though I am glad you probably weren't experiencing crashing like a good number of others, they effectively had no spell check at all for the past couple of years. The initial implementation returned that function (plus inline notification) for them. When implementing the new control, we followed according to current industry standards. For example, MS Word will ignore uppercase as well, since those are expected to be proper nouns or acronyms.

However, immediately upon release, we had a number of people report back — as you have — that they always type in all caps. We listened to that feedback and implemented the change for the very next version.
M1 Product Manager
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

They moved the Mileage box? :shock: Like you I have used this system for many years, this will be a pain when, if, we update to get use to.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by sbebenelli »

I thought moving the mileage box was silly and uncalled for but maybe there was a reason it couldn't stay in the same place
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Odometer box in it's new resting place....
ODO.png
ODO.png (46.47 KiB) Viewed 8245 times
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

sbebenelli wrote:I thought moving the mileage box was silly and uncalled for but maybe there was a reason it couldn't stay in the same place
I think the guys doing the design once worked for Atari doing video games. They think it is necessary to make changes to keep players interested. :D

The same guys are working for my cable company and keep changing the guide. Stop it!
Rich

Post by Rich »

I see "engine hours" on there now! I like that. Have a few clients that ask for that.

I am sure there is a reason for the move. had they done it to keep us interested it would be somewhere really inconvenient. And we would have to enter it backwards. Just kind of shows we are old dogs not liking new tricks. :wink: and i am getting to be a REALLY old dog.
Rich Hays
rcmauto

Post by rcmauto »

I guess my shop is the odd ball that wants the old look back, this new update is way to busy , nobody in my shop really likes it, to much stuff going on the screen , the new scheduler is to active with to much info everywhere, i wish it was more customizable, i dont need to see a engine hours, id like to remove that, the color in the scheduler nobody in my shop like the blue fade to white with white text, we cannot see it, we have had the mitchell manager software for seems like 15 years, to me its enough to make me switch to another provider.
I wish I did not install the update, I have not had a update for over a year, this 7.1.7 is the first im seeing the new update , so i guess ive missed alot for some reason.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

rcmauto wrote:I have not had a update for over a year, this 7.1.7 is the first im seeing the new update , so i guess ive missed alot for some reason.
This SE 6.6. holding pattern you were in (TWO update paths for us) was necessary for a couple important reasons:

1) SE 7.0 version will not install on XP / Vista PCs; we could not release it to everyone as some customers would still have workstations it would not install on. Not an acceptable situation. So it became by request for existing customers; it was used for all new customers observing the PC specs required.
2) The initial SE 7.0 Schedule required additional work (see What's New in This Release button under the home splash screen for a full list) before we felt it ready for SE 6.6 users.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

rcmauto wrote:I guess my shop is the odd ball that wants the old look back, this new update is way to busy , nobody in my shop really likes it, to much stuff going on the screen , the new scheduler is to active with to much info everywhere, i wish it was more customizable, i dont need to see a engine hours, id like to remove that, the color in the scheduler nobody in my shop like the blue fade to white with white text, we cannot see it, we have had the mitchell manager software for seems like 15 years, to me its enough to make me switch to another provider.
I wish I did not install the update, I have not had a update for over a year, this 7.1.7 is the first im seeing the new update , so i guess ive missed alot for some reason.
You are not the only one.... but I have been crying for a long time, tears are all gone. Most recent version of the scheduler is much better than the original release.

Now... just fix the spell check on CAPS and stop moving boxes around please. :)
Rich

Post by Rich »

Guys, just think, in a few years your gonna want things to change back to the way it is today. Every update has a learning curve. Like me and the production date issue. Some day i will get use to it...if I live that long.
Rich Hays
rcmauto

Post by rcmauto »

not really, this new scheduler looks way to confusing, things are stacked left , right up down, it reads like mandarin, not visually friendly, for my shop a schedule should be easy to read, I've been using mitchell for a very long time, and I am starting to look at other software. to see how it is. it maybe time to change, Why should i be paying for something Im not 100% happy with.
two each their own I guess.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

There is no single view to the SE Schedule; there are multiple views, options and filters to customize the Appointments screen to fit your shop. You can get it pretty close to the Day view of the 1995 Schedule albeit with much more important information if you like. If you haven't yet checked out the user guide from the SE home "splash" screen, you may find it enlightening. http://mitchell1.com/knowledgebase/asse ... ndarv2.pdf
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Mike1200

Post by Mike1200 »

I cant believe this scheduler and how difficult it is to look at, just trying to figure out what is going on is a mess. there has to be simpler solution to this frustration.

Return to “Scheduler”