Auto-Add to Scheduler Not Working?

Discussions of SE Scheduler/ Appointment Editor
Hardwood
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Auto-Add to Scheduler Not Working?

Post by Hardwood »

When did the scheduler stop adding appointments automatically when you write someone up who wasn't on the schedule in the first place?
Maybe I missed something?
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
http://www.MinnetonkaAutoService.com
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Auto-Add to Scheduler Not Working?

Post by timbre4 »

Perhaps you're starting at the R.O. stage instead of EST?
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Auto-add to scheduler not working?

Post by Silky7 »

This is probably just the way you have the options set. Under Setup > Shop Data > Screen View there is an option to automatically show Estimates in Schedule. If you start the RO phase straight away, those will not automatically add to the schedule yet.
M1 Product Manager
Hardwood

Post by Hardwood »

I've always started in the RO phase, never estimate. I don't like clutter.

This is a step backwards, and worked as I described ever since the Amoco days.

I miss the original scheduler and I'm doing my best to warm up to this new one, but wow was it ever released too soon.

To the software developers: STOP thinking that you need to change things constantly. Even the parts catalog people can't seem to stop changing things.

Once it works, leave it alone! I'll bet 99% of the writers aren't end users.

Sigh.
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Post by Hardwood »

timbre4 wrote:Perhaps you're starting at the R.O. stage instead of EST?

A walk in customer would naturally be started as an RO since we know what they want already. Why start at Estimate??

We solved the "estimate" problem years ago by creating a customer named "Estimate, Only" and that RO is always at the top of the WIP screen and easy to jump in and write a quick phone quote for a caller not in our system. If they actually want the work done, we can easily copy/paste the estimate tab into a new customer once they come in.
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Estimates are a legal requirement in many states as a consumer protection practice. I'm honestly surprised you've never had to provide one.

From https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/Han ... Laws_3.asp

Your Rights When Your Car Is Repaired
Minnesota’s Truth in Repairs Act spells out the rights and obligations of repair shops and their customers for repairs costing more than $100 and less than $7,500. Know your rights before you take your car in for repairs:
You have the right to receive a written estimate for repair work, if you request one.
Once you receive this estimate, the shop generally may not charge more than 10 percent above the estimated cost. A shop may impose an additional charge for disassembly, diagnosis, and reassembly of the item in order to make the estimate if the customer is told about the charge before the estimate is issued.
M1 Product Manager
Hardwood

Post by Hardwood »

Silky7 wrote:Estimates are a legal requirement in many states as a consumer protection practice. I'm honestly surprised you've never had to provide one.

From https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/Han ... Laws_3.asp

Your Rights When Your Car Is Repaired
Minnesota’s Truth in Repairs Act spells out the rights and obligations of repair shops and their customers for repairs costing more than $100 and less than $7,500. Know your rights before you take your car in for repairs:
You have the right to receive a written estimate for repair work, if you request one.
Once you receive this estimate, the shop generally may not charge more than 10 percent above the estimated cost. A shop may impose an additional charge for disassembly, diagnosis, and reassembly of the item in order to make the estimate if the customer is told about the charge before the estimate is issued.
Not looking for legal advice or how to run my shop, thanks.

I've been doing this for almost 30 years and can count on one hand when I've ever had an issue with someone asking for a written estimate.

I'm in Minnesota as you see, and if you're in a neighborhood where the customer base is shady, I could see that being an important item in the flow of daily business.

But for me and my customers, it's not.

And you pointed out that the law protects consumers for repairs over $100. Oil changes that walk in should not have to start as an estimate, right?

I'd just like the software that I pay $300++ per month for the pleasure of using to be more accommodating.

Thanks!
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

I think you missed a couple of takeaways here.

First, as I said RO's do not automatically add to the schedule yet. I apologize, I should have been more explicit and said that we do plan to add that option. Secondly, you stated that you never do estimates. My point was to try to clarify that while you may not, many shops do — legal requirements or as a general practice.

We've heard from a handful of others, that like you, do not use estimates. Thus the plan to add the same type of option to automatically add ROs to the Schedule.
M1 Product Manager
Hardwood

Post by Hardwood »

Silky7 wrote:I think you missed a couple of takeaways here.

First, as I said RO's do not automatically add to the schedule yet. I apologize, I should have been more explicit and said that we do plan to add that option. Secondly, you stated that you never do estimates. My point was to try to clarify that while you may not, many shops do — legal requirements or as a general practice.

We've heard from a handful of others, that like you, do not use estimates. Thus the plan to add the same type of option to automatically add ROs to the Schedule.
Fair enough, and i think you missed my earlier point that the scheduler used to add RO's to the schedule....a step backwards is all I was saying.

We do estimates all the time, but only from within an active RO on the estimate tabs....

As far as estimates/legal/safe practices go, I understand California to be the worst, and perhaps Minnesota the best :D
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586

Return to “Scheduler”