Alternate Billing

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
dan
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Alternate Billing

Post by dan »

Sorry, I know we've asked about this topic several times, often wishing that we could write an invoice in a customers name and charge it to another account, ie. extended warranty account, store warranty, expense, ect... We have used work arounds well, but now something has entered the picture that we find an issue. We are involved with Preferred Patron, a Loyalty Rewards company, that now uploads our db daily sales to automatically calculate the accumulation of dollars spent and adds points to the club members, rather than entering the calculations daily into their program. Huge time and accuracy saver!

The problem: we have discovered is when we write a warranty invoice it adds those points to the customer. Because in order to write off an invoice to warranty, we enter parts and labor at cost and make the total sale equal that cost and pay it by Payment Type "Warranty". Sometimes that amounts to a fair number of Rewards Points.

Questions to help solve this issue:
1- Can you assign the same vehicle (license number) to 2 different accounts. 1 for the customer and 1 for warranty?
2- If so, would it show up on the customers history report?
3- Open to ideas on how we can write warranty invoices to show $0.00 on the invoice and accurately inputting the cost of that invoice's "Warranty Expense" into QuickBooks and still show Mitchell reports correctly?

All thoughts are welcomed and appreciated, Thanks
Regards,
Dan Dumbauld

The Auto Shop Inc.
901 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
voice 602-256-6164
fax 602-256-0379
dan@phoenixautoshop.com
www.phoenixautoshop.com
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Alternate Billing

Post by fortknoxx »

you can keep the invoice as is. create a coupon named warranty. 100% parts, 100%labor. apply the coupon to the invoice. the invoice is not a paid invoice. it is a zero dollar invoice. with no totals. I believe your program is calculating paid invoices.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
dan

Post by dan »

Thanks Tina,
I've been a long time 5.9 user, recently updated to 6.5. Does 6.5 allow you to enter more than 1 discount per invoice. If so this could be the answer?
Regards,
Dan Dumbauld

The Auto Shop Inc.
901 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
voice 602-256-6164
fax 602-256-0379
dan@phoenixautoshop.com
www.phoenixautoshop.com
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

What other type of "discount"?
Are you keeping track of this "second discount" in a report?
One discount per order. I think we may be able to help you achieve your goals with a work around.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

testing in progress. Will update. :wink:
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
dan

Post by dan »

Tina, you're a Peach!
Your suggested work-around worked just fine. I tested today buy applying a "coupon" called warranty to a test warranty invoice, rather than posting a payment type called warranty. So the vehicle will remain in the customers history, category "warranty" and no Loyalty Points will be added for warranty repairs since the invoice total was $0.00. We now will include the Coupon Utilization Report to our End of Day Reports so we can input into QB (manually). We have also made a rule that warranty repairs must be on a separate invoice, since 2 coupons per invoice cannot be entered. No worries, should be separate anyway. If I run into anything along the way, I'll reply back to this forum thread.

Oh, BTW in 6.5 you can create a discount at 100% off, which think you mentioned it could not be done in 5.9.

Thanks for your help on and off the forum!
Dan
Regards,
Dan Dumbauld

The Auto Shop Inc.
901 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
voice 602-256-6164
fax 602-256-0379
dan@phoenixautoshop.com
www.phoenixautoshop.com

Return to “Database + Settings”