Handling Gift Certificates?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
Vickie

Handling Gift Certificates?

Post by Vickie »

What is the best way to handle sales of gift certificates? Is there another way to show a credit balance besides going to update customer and enter a credit on their account? We sold a gift certificate to one of our customers for another one of our customers. She paid for this by credit card. I need this payment to be entered in a way that it will show up on end of day reports.
Chris W.
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Re: Handling Gift Certificates?

Post by Chris W. »

We run an Invoice for a Gift Card, then open the customer info and credit that amount to them.
That way when you post the next invoice you can apply the credit.
Chris W.
See you on the other side (someday) knowledge is waiting for us.
timjlive
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by timjlive »

We have a seperate catergory for gift certificates. When we sell one we create an invoice using the GC part # tied to gift certificate category. This way you can accept any of your payment methods. Youn then can easily pick the certificates out of your sales by looking at the Cateegory Profit Summary report.

Now, when the certificate is redeemed, we have set up a payment method of Gift Certificate so that it appears as a form of payment when redeemed.
Tim L.
Falls Uptown Motors
920-467-2311
Chris W.

Post by Chris W. »

Thanks,
This why we all hang out here.
timjlive wrote:We have a seperate catergory for gift certificates. When we sell one we create an invoice using the GC part # tied to gift certificate category. This way you can accept any of your payment methods. Youn then can easily pick the certificates out of your sales by looking at the Cateegory Profit Summary report.

Now, when the certificate is redeemed, we have set up a payment method of Gift Certificate so that it appears as a form of payment when redeemed.
Chris W.
See you on the other side (someday) knowledge is waiting for us.
Vickie

Post by Vickie »

Thanks guys...and Merry Christmas!
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

a bit late here, sorry, my system took a vacation and i was working from a lap top for a while and being unaccustomed to it :shock: limited my on line time. the change of a screen saver makes me uncomfortable. :lol: well back to point. most newer p.o.s. processors have an option of creating a gift card just the same way all the big retail outlets do. that way you just run it through like a cc and apply that amount to the total. the most work you have to do is to do a split payment. they get lost just as easy as paper certificates do. :) :) i've also found that once a customer gives one to a relative they can be easily talked into adding more to it if they like the service they receive at my shop. in the past i've used them as give away's for charitable events.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.p ... hilit=gift
here is my input from a similar topic

by fortknoxx on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:58 pm

we have gift certs. we had the printer make them, the same guy who makes out business cards and envelopes. they are 3x5 tan index card style. the usual set up. name, date dollar anount. heres how i handle them.
i created an part named gift. made it non taxable, and left the $ field blank and create a catagoty called gift.

lets say its big joe wants to get lil joe a gift cert. i ask who is the cert for. if they do not already have an account i create one. next i enter gift as the pn. enter the dollar amount, and pay it. do not post at this time. i print a receipt for big joe, and give him the 3x5 camperbobs gift cert. i fill out the dollar amount and put the invoice # on the card. after big joe leaves. i go back into the part and make the qty 0. then i post. then it asks if i want to credit his account, yes. now lil joe has a $50 $ credit. the money that big joe paid is accounted for when i do my dsr, and when lil joe wants to redeem his cert i pull up his account and on the customer screen it show that lil joe has a credit. then i invoive lil joe and apply the credit. this way sales tax is not being messed with. the only draw back is that i can not count all the certs i sell because i keep 0ing them out. but it works for us and the paper work jives too.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “Database + Settings”