Third Party Billing?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
SEASIDE

Third Party Billing?

Post by SEASIDE »

We are new to the shop mgmt system. Can anyone please tell me how to add third party billing (insurance) to the invoices?

Thank You.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: Third Party Billing?

Post by Tim Martin »

Welcome to the forum.

THe way I do it is simply to bill the customer as I normally do but make a note when the invoice is paid that it came from a third party, whatever and whoever that may be. Do not know if that is the best way but that's the way I do it because the insurance or warranty company is not a customer. hth
SEASIDE

Post by SEASIDE »

Thank you for your reply. What I am looking for is to split the invoice between customer pay/warranty/insurance jobs so the invoice shows who pays what and the bottom total just has the customer's responsibility.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

What we do is make the invoice as usual in the name of the owner of the vehicle. Then we make a note at the bottom that describes who is responsible for what.

It would be difficult to create an invoice for different labors and parts that totaled 1000 dollars say but have the total only show 500. I think that would create more confusion than it would eliminate. I like the simple approach. Show the work and what it actually costs, then break out the responsibilties.

True third party billing would require some major software changes. It's been on the enhancement request list for a while. http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.p ... ling#p8188
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
SEASIDE

Post by SEASIDE »

Thank you for your reply. I will pass this on to our bookkeeper.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Oh, and I forgot. Welcome to the Forum. :D
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
SEASIDE

Post by SEASIDE »

Thank you!!! :D
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Welcome to the forum. The way i process third party payments is it's in the customers name and i make a note on the order about the payment but it's processed as a customer payment. As far as i'm concerned, if Sally brings her vehicle in and her uncle wants to pay for it who cares, i get paid. I do make note on the order just in case it's questioned. I work on a number of businesses that use Enterprise, G.E., or another maintenance controller. They get marked paid just like if the customer was paying themselves. I do have the po and authorization information on the order so i can look it up fairly easily. On occasion the payment will be off by a buck or two so i need to adjust the order and i make a note on the order as a reference. I get authorization through a fax or e/mail with a credit card #. If it's faxed i scan it and file it in a folder so i can look it up if necessary. If it's e/mailed i just copy and post.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
SEASIDE

Post by SEASIDE »

Thank you for your reply.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

SEASIDE wrote:Thank you for your reply.
The fellow you just responded to is the second banana on this forum and also plays second fiddle.
Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Gary R »

Here's what we do. If a customer has extended warranty, I enter the name of the warranty company, the customer contract number, the expiration date and mileage, the amount of the deductible and the telephone number of the claims dept in the vehicle memo. In that way all of the info I need to administer claims is always in my computer. When the customer has a job that is covered by extended warranty, I click the check box on the vehicle memo to print on order, and the add the authorization number and the authorized amount for that invoice. All this information is required on the invoice to receive payment anyway. If the invoice is all customer pay, un-check the print on order box and it will not appear on the invoice, but remains in our system. I hate to type so this makes my life easier.
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
SEASIDE

Post by SEASIDE »

Thank you very much! We were using ADP so that was all stored for us. I will add that info in the memo box.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I just want to make a point here about third party billing. The third party, at least it's been my experience, will beat you up a bit on your order. Some will not pay shop supplies, some will dispute labor, etc. Make sure you get everything you can. A quick example is i charge .3 to reprogram a radio. A simple charge that you're entitled to that is overlooked and they will allow it. This is a small step in recovering any deductions. If you're doing two repairs on a vehicle the warranty company way, and usually do try to separate so they can apply two co pays. I had one where a warranty company split an order into two and i rewrote the second job as an on lot job. I charged for set up, radio reset, etc. The adjuster tried to deny a lot of the claim because it was already in the shop. I said not if it was being treated as two jobs it wasn't. I told him i had the tech do the brakes where he was only allowing the calipers, put the wheels back on, test drive it for a brake issue, bring it back, pick up a tech sheet, take the same vehicle out for a road test for a front end wobble after hitting a bump, bring it back in and set it on the lift, look at the front end, remove the wheels and verify the ball joint condition. The customer paid a second deductible as defined by the warranty company and they ended up paying another 1.5 hours than quoted as a single order. It may take a few extra minutes to list all and every single part on the part list but it's worth it in the long run. As a single order it may not look like a lot of money but in the complete picture it really adds up. It may take a while to finally figure out what you can charge and have to develop a dialogue but it's worth it. They won't tell you what you can charge so hit them with a barrage and let them pick away at it. You can charge a prep charge for insurance work, it's accepted. When i bring a vehicle in to work on that's an insurance or after market warranty claim i charge a set up. The adjuster may say they don't pay for it but push hard for it and it should fly. Sorry i'm a bit gabby here.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Database + Settings”