Texting Is Unaware Of Phone # Checked?

Discussions for Message Center texting option
GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Texting Is Unaware Of Phone # Checked?

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Texting appears to be unaware of the phone number checked in the Telephone List. Upon arrival the customer is asked "what is the best number to reach you". So, you check that number in the Telephone List. If their preferred method of communication happens to be text then one would assume the default texting number should be the number that you checked in the Telephone List. If you haven't previously texted this number the default texting number is the 1st number in the Telephone List and not the checked phone number.

Can Texting be made "aware" of the preferred contact number e.g. the checked telephone number?
Dan
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Texting Is Unaware Of Phone # Checked?

Post by Silky7 »

Hi Dan,

Texting should attempt to use the first (in order) phone number set for display AND marked as text capable. That might be the piece you don't have set. Check your Phone setup types under the Standard Descriptions to indicate they are set a enabled for texts:
Phonesetup.png
Phonesetup.png (42.46 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
M1 Product Manager
GUTHTIRE

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Silky7 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:33 pm
Hi Dan,

Texting should attempt to use the first (in order) phone number set for display AND marked as text capable. That might be the piece you don't have set. Check your Phone setup types under the Standard Descriptions to indicate they are set a enabled for texts:

Phonesetup.png
We are not seeing an issue with texting in general. The issue is the order. If there are (2) numbers in the contact list and one of those numbers is checked one would assume the checked number is the default for texting...unless texting is not "aware" of the check box in the Telephone List.

I did review Mobile/Text in Standard Descriptions and Cel2 was not set to Text. It has now been set. Does this now mean if we have two numbers that are set for texting and the 2nd one is checked in the Telephone List then the 2nd will be the default when texting?
Dan
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I'm reasonably sure that the check boxes for phone are for display purposes only. Those have been around long before texting was a thing.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

GUTHTIRE wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:41 am

Does this now mean if we have two numbers that are set for texting and the 2nd one is checked in the Telephone List then the 2nd will be the default when texting?
The rule is the first number - speaking in terms of list order - that is designated as text capable and set to display will be the default when texting.
M1 Product Manager

Return to “MessageCenter”